General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

How to read the oil dipstick properly with the twists on it?

Old 08-08-2018, 09:48 PM
purebe

Default How to read the oil dipstick properly with the twists on it?

I have a 2018 gt and I'm trying to read the oil level properly, I checked it and I couldn't see any oil on the hatching or between the holes, but I could just barely see oil under the min hole. So I went ahead and bought some oil and added some (I think around a qt but it might have been more). I checked the oil on the dipstick as I went but I wasn't seeing any difference, until the last check where there was oil clearly well over the max mark.

I'm assuming I have screwed up and overfilled it and I'm questioning if there was even a need to add oil in the first place (it's around 13000 miles.) Are there any tricks to getting a proper reading off the dipstick? Someone suggested I lay it on a paper towel and wipe it horizontally as the oil would be easier to see on the paper towel, and I did that twice and got a different reading both times, the dipstick is so flimsy and long it's hard to keep it steady.

Also, are there any tricks to getting excess oil out of an engine if I did overfill it? I can't get under the car and I don't have any tubing to siphon it (although apparently I could maybe sacrifice a power cable or something lmao.) Anyway, thanks for any advice.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:36 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

How much did you add? Did you let it sit, then check again? If you checked right after adding it can give you a false reading.

Only thing I can think of is undo the drain plug, let some out, then screw it back in... will be messy, but might get that extra little bit out.

Careful not to have too much oil as the crackshaft can cause it to foam up if it's immersed in it.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:07 AM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

I hated when they changed to those dipsticks. They are almost impossible to read with clen oil. Easier when it get dirty. I make sure to wipe off good and dry before checking, you need to be in good light and look closely for where the "wet" stops.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:22 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

and on level ground! The actual level will be where the oil is physically thicker...not the thin wet looking part.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:55 PM
purebe

Letting the car sit overnight and in the better light today I can see clearly that I have way too much oil, probably over an inch past the max mark.

I walked to a nearby auto parts store and bought a couple of jack stands, a jack, a set of wheel chocks and a siphon kit. Unfortunately the siphon kit won't fit in thru the dipstick hole due to the twists or something, can't say I expected that to work though.

I tried jacking the car up on the pinch weld but I got sketched out since it seems like I'm just going to do damage to the car. I don't really know what to do now, guessing I am going to have to try to get it towed to a place that has a lift, which seems ridiculous for this but oh well I guess.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:12 PM
purebe

Well, I might have to get it towed, but, has anyone jacked the front of a '18 GT Premium PP1 (I don't know how much that matters) up? Can it be done one side at a time without damaging the car? I don't have any pads or wood, so I was using the flatish surface of the jack on the pinch weld directly as well, all in all it seems really sketch.