General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bought A Lemon- now don't know what to do.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Mustang-argh

Angry Bought A Lemon- now don't know what to do.

Hi Guys,

So i bought this nice looking (appeared nice looking), mustang 1967 couple v6 for 60% over the asking price and about 2 months later i realize that the new amazing pain job was painted over rust and is bubbling in places, the head gasket then blew, the cowls are rusted out and leak and the list goes one.

So now i'm stuck with this money pit and 3 options.

1. I try sell it on - which i don't want to do because i'll lose instantly 60% of what i paid for it within 2 months of having it.
2. I start pumping dead money into it knowing that its going to be a losing battle and never worth what i will put into it.
3. I do nothing and roll over & die ( this is not an option ha)

Would love to here what someone would do with a car they paid too much for and has so many costly issues.

I'm an idiot i know... but i learned a lot from this harsh reality

Thanks
Old 10-17-2018, 10:37 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang-argh
Hi Guys,

So i bought this nice looking (appeared nice looking), mustang 1967 couple v6 for 60% over the asking price and about 2 months later i realize that the new amazing pain job was painted over rust and is bubbling in places, the head gasket then blew, the cowls are rusted out and leak and the list goes one.

So now i'm stuck with this money pit and 3 options.

1. I try sell it on - which i don't want to do because i'll lose instantly 60% of what i paid for it within 2 months of having it.
2. I start pumping dead money into it knowing that its going to be a losing battle and never worth what i will put into it.
3. I do nothing and roll over & die ( this is not an option ha)

Would love to here what someone would do with a car they paid too much for and has so many costly issues.

I'm an idiot i know... but i learned a lot from this harsh reality

Thanks
If it's a New York car, rust is no surprise. I would check for structural rust damage, such as shock towers and frame where front suspension fastens on. Also the "torque boxes" up front. If structurally reasonably sound, then mechanics are next. No '60s Mustang was offered with a V-6. Do you mean straight-6? "The head gasket" blew: V-6s have 2 head gaskets. Unless you are mechanically-inclined, it will be a difficult road to getting resolution. imp
Old 10-18-2018, 04:16 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Buying a lemon and a used rust-bucket are two different things.

Head gaskets are easier to replace with pushrod motors.

They knew what they were selling you... I hate people like that, and hope a car
falls on their head...
Old 10-18-2018, 07:20 AM
Mustang-argh

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i mean a straight 6 sorry. It's with the mechanic now and he confirmed it's an old rust bucket with lots of bondo everywhere :P. They just put a nice paint job on it, got it running and flogged it.

I'm thinking i'll just sell it for what it is, write it all off as a lose and tell the wife nothing :P.

On the positive side this wont happen again.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:30 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

The oldest 'trick' out there . Put a new $200 'maaco' paint job on it and sell it before the rust starts showing up