General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

67 Mustang Inst Guages

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 06:46 PM
Bowersmike04@gmail.com

Angry 67 Mustang Inst Guages

This is my first post. Hope someone can steer me in the right direction. I decided to replace my fuel gauge and temp gage on my 67 Mustang. They were working ok but they were just a little off and thought it was a good winter time project. After I installed them and turned on the ignition I noticed that the fuel gauge and oil pressure gauge (that I never touched and was working fine before) indicated zero. The temp gauge was zero too but that was not alarming since the engine was cold. I also noticed an electrical burning smell. I turned off the ignition, disconnected the battery and did some research. All 3 gauges are connected to the Instrument Panel Gauge Voltage Regulator. I checked and there is no fuse that I could locate. So the only common thread I could come up with was that I fried my Voltage Regulator. I could see me possibly screwing up the new gauges but I did nothing to the oil pressure gauge and that was dead too. So I installed a new voltage regulator (making sure it was grounded properly) and then reconnected the battery and turned on the ignition. But that didn't fix the problem. So I am looking for something that is common to all three gauges (such as a fuse, etc) that might be the problem. Any suggestions?
Old 02-25-2019, 09:30 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If you are smelling an electrical burn and all three gauges are screwing up then I'd say that there is a good chance that what you have in common is a hot wire grounding out. Ford instrument wiring is odd so a factory wiring diagram is almost a must-have when you start messing with the gauges.