MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech-6/)
-   -   Shop recommends cleaning of fuel system and vent system (https://mustangforums.com/forum/general-tech/737547-shop-recommends-cleaning-of-fuel-system-and-vent-system.html)

kevsgt 05-14-2019 09:36 PM

Shop recommends cleaning of fuel system and vent system

Got my Takata passenger airbag replaced finally, and the Ford dealership did their standard multipoint inspection. They recommended a fuel system cleaning (which I assume means the fuel injectors). I'm guessing this was just based on the mileage, and perhaps just trying to get more $ out of me. I've never done this before, but figure it can't hurt. Given the high mileage, Should I just try using Seafoam, or is there a process for removing the injectors for specialized cleaning (myself or at the shop)?

Car is 2006 GT with 140k miles, running a 93 octane tune.

They also mentioned a vent system cleaning. What might that mean?

Derf00 05-15-2019 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by kevsgt (Post 8651797)
Got my Takata passenger airbag replaced finally, and the Ford dealership did their standard multipoint inspection. They recommended a fuel system cleaning (which I assume means the fuel injectors). I'm guessing this was just based on the mileage, and perhaps just trying to get more $ out of me. I've never done this before, but figure it can't hurt. Given the high mileage, Should I just try using Seafoam, or is there a process for removing the injectors for specialized cleaning (myself or at the shop)?

Car is 2006 GT with 140k miles, running a 93 octane tune.

They also mentioned a vent system cleaning. What might that mean?

I would say the "Fuel system cleaning" is more likely related to the intake and throttle body. These days with all the detergents in fuel, even cheap fuels, it's hard to justify a fuel injector cleaning. Not to mention you can't see the injectors internally. You can however see build up in the Intake and TB. Most places just clean up the intake and throw a bottle of fuel system cleaner into the tank and call it good. If in doubt, ASK. what does their Fuel system cleaning involve? Save yourself the money, do it yourself.

The vent system is a little different, your AC and Heat vents can get some nasty buildup, especially in cars that don't have cabin air filters. Again though, you can do it yourself. Just go to amazon and look for AC system cleaner or AC vent cleaner. Lots of stuff and pretty much provides you with the same items that the dealer uses.

GT Nate 05-16-2019 08:16 AM

the vent if I'm right is under the rear trunk... in a little metal cage. In there are several tube running from the tank to the fuel lines in the engine. It's a carbon filter used to meet EPA emissions. Not too hard to get to...but a PITA to put that metal cover back on!

Derf00 05-16-2019 02:01 PM

I guess the op should clarify which vent system? AC/Fuel? Assume Fuel EVAP system since it's related to fuel system but never know....

kevsgt 05-17-2019 02:37 AM

Service advisor said: "Fuel system cleaning" is running cleaning solution with a machine through the engine.

He said "Vent system cleaning" is for the a/c evaporator. I figure this is just checking that the draining isn't clogged, but if it was clogged I think I would have a musty smell, which I don't. In the past they've also tried to sell me on a A/C "deodorizer" service. I never took the bait because again there was no smell. Is there any reason to inspect or deodorize the evaporator coils, simply given the age of the car?

Z28KLR 05-17-2019 02:23 PM

They were hoping you'd just say yes. Up-sells like that are basically useless with exception to driving up their sales numbers.

Derf00 05-20-2019 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by kevsgt (Post 8651885)
Service advisor said: "Fuel system cleaning" is running cleaning solution with a machine through the engine.

He said "Vent system cleaning" is for the a/c evaporator. I figure this is just checking that the draining isn't clogged, but if it was clogged I think I would have a musty smell, which I don't. In the past they've also tried to sell me on a A/C "deodorizer" service. I never took the bait because again there was no smell. Is there any reason to inspect or deodorize the evaporator coils, simply given the age of the car?

For the A/C, it wouldn't hurt but, you can do it yourself as I mentioned in my first post.