General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Still a little confused about removing smog equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 12:15 PM
h2obuoy

Default Still a little confused about removing smog equipment.

Please help me understand the ramifications of removing the smog equipment on my 89 vert. I plan to either rebuild or drop a 306 crate into it over the winter and want to remove the smog pump (and all associated hardware) and the A/C. I live in a state that does not have an emissions test but does have a vehicle inspection which requires cats. I've heard talk about not removing th smog stuff if you run cats. Can someone explain this to me? What about the other stuff? EGR? BAP? Charcoal canister?

Also, what is the effective means of removing the A/C and still having a functioning heater, etc.? I would like to get rid of anything that is visible. I've noticed in doing some research on replacing the heater cowl, you have the option of getting one with or w/out A/C. Will removal have an adverse affect on heating?

I'm looking for some good DETAILED information on the smog and A/C removal process. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-28-2005, 01:19 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Still a little confused about removing smog equipment.

im with you on the smog crap.

as far as teh ac goes just take the compressor off and remove the hoses you heat will still work fine.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:49 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

if you have an inspection station, i'm sure you need the pump as well.

but, yes you will ruin the cats. they will plug up and restrict airflow, so you have to have the pump w/ cats.

ac dump will in no way affect the heat. the best way is the motorsport kit, that turns your car like it was non ac from the factory.

2 brackets, relocates the power steering up to where the ac was.

it is amazing how much it cleans up the engine bay, getting to the lt side plugs are easier than the rt side after.

Old 11-29-2005, 05:44 PM
h2obuoy

Okay, so explain to me how the air pump prevents the cats from pluggin up. Would you recommend moving the PS pump up or just removing the a/c and leaving the PS where it is, with a shorter belt ofcourse?