General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How many miles, is too many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 06:48 PM
doc_phibz
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How many miles, is too many miles?

yea, it all depends on how it was maintained. i just got my 95 5.0 w/ 110k mi. about a month ago and it has major engine prob. b/c the guy was a mech. and swears it was well maintained and he bought it from a mechanic who put the mods on himself. and that's another thing so far all the used cars i bought came from mechanics who used them as daily drivers. just ask the prev. owner if he has any records of things like oil changes, time belt changes, gasket replcements, stuff like that, that's another thing i look for when i buy used...records.u can also do other struff like look at the distributor cap, and it doesn't hurt to inspect a couple of spark plugs, and ceck oil level( you'd be suprised on how many times i went to look at cars for friends, and the oil was dirty or insufficient amount)...and most of all test drive it, and test drive it hard! since it's used, it's broke in, and u are buying a sports car for god sake, so give it a couple of good runs. good luck
Old 12-07-2005, 10:26 PM
*Blk_96_Stang_GT*
4th Gear Member

I got 135,000miles on mine and its running strong.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:23 AM
StrokemyNotch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HxCory

When I look at the car, under the hood, any thing I Can see with out lifting the car to the naked eye?

When i look under the hood, i look for any signs of any leaks, like oil around the engine, look for signs of antifreeze around the block, look at the engine oil to see if there is anything in the oil other than oil, check tranny fluid(on autos). I also look underneath the car to see if theres any leaks there. Carfaxes are great, i almost bought a fox that had a salvaged title. and hopefully get as maintenece records as possible. i save every receipt for my cars.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:33 AM
50nut
1st Gear Member

You're not getting a 5.0, but my 94 has 176k, still runs 14.3 in the qtr, w/little mods, and doesn't use any oil in between oil changes. I've also seen many similar mileage cars, some even running NOS. I couldn't tell you a thing about those OHC motors, all i know is they can be a headache and are more expenisive to play with!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:49 AM
C/Note
I ♥ Acer

180,000 plus
Old 12-08-2005, 12:25 PM
]\[astYSta]\[G

I don't think it has anything to do with miles, just the upkeep. If you don't know what to
look for then take it to a mechanic or friend that does. I've seen some mean cars that
have alot on the odometer.

G/L and I hope you get a great car!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:19 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Vash the Stampede

my friend has a 98 mustang GT 4.6

and his motor blew at 58k

i had another one who had his motor blew at 54k that was a 2000!

and then some of my friends motors are at 120k+ and they are still running hard thats a 91 LX. and then a few are 99+'s at over 100k. and blew at around 150k.

its so random when your engine will go out on a ford.
woah! easy there.

How the hell are your friends "blowing" their engines all the time?!?!

I don't think it's an issue with Ford engines, I think these guys need to learn about a little thing called common sense.

Blowing up a healthy engine is not that easy to do unless you are beating the living **** out of it. They usually don't let go all of a sudden without some kind of warning....like knocking

Yes, I have seen people blow their engines at the track and when pushing it way too hard, but you really have to abuse a healthy engine to blow it up.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:02 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I concur with Mike Hawke.
I recently did bore measurments on a 302 the had OVER 180,000 on it and the cylinders were all within .002. And this motor had been a work all it's life. My employer GAVE the thing to me. Future 347...........
Truck got totaled due to wetback driver with no insurance.........
Old 12-09-2005, 12:24 AM
StrokemyNotch
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tinman

I concur with Mike Hawke.
I recently did bore measurments on a 302 the had OVER 180,000 on it and the cylinders were all within .002. And this motor had been a work all it's life. My employer GAVE the thing to me. Future 347...........
Truck got totaled due to wetback driver with no insurance.........
I know exactly how that feels. I m still paying for it cause my insurance went up.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:08 PM
HxCory
2nd Gear Member

I'm sorry to ressurect this thread, but I hate making new ones about the same topic.
I've been looking, I found an 01-03 GT's with about 50-60k on them, is that anything to worry about? or should I keep looking for lower, my price range is max 20k. I did find an 01 Bullit for 14,999 it has around 56k.
Again, just look at the engine/tires and try to see if it was abused? If it wasn't that's nothing to worry about right?
-Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: How many miles, is too many miles?