General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need some advice for my new Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:13 PM
jb10

Default Need some advice for my new Mustang

Earlier this year I was involved in a pretty serious motorcycle accident. A big F-150 pulled right out in front of me and I slammed on my brakes and my bike flipped me off and knocked me out.The wreck left my bike totaled. I was wearing a helmet or I probabley wouldnt be here today. So I collected some insurance money and wanted to buy a ride with four wheels and get somthin that I could do some work on myself. I have already been workin on the exterior of the car and I have that complete. I have a 97 mustang V6 convertible with a two tone burnt orange and black with a black top, lowered, black tint, and 18 inch panther juice chrome wheels. So I need some advice under the hood. I still have the stock V6 engine in. I want to get up around 300 hp to start off. Is there any way to get there without giving an arm and a leg to get there?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:47 PM
kasper
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need some advice for my new Mustang

Just my opinion, but I don't think I would even bother with such a project. I am by no means a Mustang expert, you are trying to take a car that produces 150 hp and effectively double it. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's going to take a lot of work and $$$ to pull it off. I'm not even sure that motor is up to the challenge.

(if these stats are wrong please feel free to chime in and correct them)
In contrast the GT for that year model did about 215HP SOHC V8 Just by getting yourself a GT you would be a little over a 1/4 of the way there

The Cobra is where you want to be in HP, rated at 305HP DOHC V8 I think you would be better off just finding a 97 GT and modding it or find a Cobra.

The easiest way to do it (and I use the term easy very loose) would be to just swap the power plant. Of course that brings it's own set of challenges. Computer, wiring harness', sensors etc, etc. Good luck with this project if you decide to go forward with it. I would be interested to see results from the completed project
Old 12-20-2005, 01:35 AM
jb10

Yeah well i guess i failed to mention that I was planning on swaping the V6 for a 4.6 or 5.0 and then i was trying to plan a route to take from there to get to 300 hp. Yeah i agree that it would be to much work from a V6.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:20 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

V6 to v8 swap you will need.....

Motor, mounts, springs front and back, struts/shocks (probably) front and back, possibly a new fuel pump, wiring harness, computer, radiator, flywheel and clutch (for manual) or flexplate (for auto), Transmission and crossmember and bushings, driveshaft, U-joints, U-bolts for U- Joints, rear end, i'm not sure if any of the steering components etc will need to be changed (i know on my old '67 they did)

And you have to either buy yourself a stock DOHC motor, or buy a SOHC motor and build it with new heads/intake/cam, or buy a 5.0 and spend a couple thousand building that and then you'd have to figure out how to mount it in the engine bay and get the accessory belt to fit and mount a t5 or the like in a mod body
Old 12-20-2005, 03:22 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Or you could somehow get forged internals for your 6cyl and port the heads, get a cam, make an intake, run dual exhaust, replace the tranny and rear end, and find somehow to turbocharge or supercharge it. I'm sure you could get yourself an exhaust shop to fabricate you some custom headers for it.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:57 PM
jb10

which way do you think would be a cheaper way to go for now. Im tryin to get myself through college so $$$$$ is somewhat a facter. I just want some increased power because I have this bad *** looking mustang now ( which I will post as soon as I get some pictures on here ) with no ***** under the hood. Maybe 300 hp is a little to much right now. What would you do if you were on somewhat of a budget and you wanted to increase some power from a stock V6.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:27 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

I don't really know what you all are talking about here.There is a very healthy aftermarket for that car.

Headers are easy to get so nobody is going to have to custom make them LOL.

Superchargers are plentiful and turbo kits are out there too.

Pretty much anything you could want is available for that car.

Personally, I feel that unless the engine is shot or you are going to drop in a very expensive crate motor, I wouldn't even bother swapping to a stock PI, 2 valve 4.6 or 5.0 V8. Those engines are still VERY expensive even if you get them from a junkyard. Well, the 5.0 is not all that expensive but you will be a long way off your 300 HP mark and will still need to rebuild the engine.

I agree that a V8 platform would have been a better place to start in your quest for 300 HP (I assume you mean 300 at the crank) but there is lots of stuff you can do to that sixxer to get more power out of it. LOTS of stuff.

Old 12-20-2005, 03:45 PM
jb10

well i started with the sixerr cause i knew the guy that wanted to sell it and i practically stole it from him. Eventually I will drop the Eight in it but for now I will prolly take your advice and just increase the power on that sixer. I just wanted to know where I should start. I am new at this sort of thing I mean I have always been into cars and everything but never really got into working on my own projects so this is my first one.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:34 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: jb10

well i started with the sixerr cause i knew the guy that wanted to sell it and i practically stole it from him. Eventually I will drop the Eight in it but for now I will prolly take your advice and just increase the power on that sixer. I just wanted to know where I should start. I am new at this sort of thing I mean I have always been into cars and everything but never really got into working on my own projects so this is my first one.
how much do you want to spend?

a 75 shot of giggle gas would be cheap and effective.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:36 PM
jb10

problaley around a couple grand

Quick Reply: Need some advice for my new Mustang