General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

in a pickle...need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: in a pickle...need opinions

For a simple repaint, that won't need any pulling or rust repair, 1,500 bucks will go a long ways towards and excellent repaint as long as the door jambs, trunk/under hood at in decent shape.

I'd offer $2k for the car.

That 5.0 motor will be extremely easy to swap out if she blows....
Old 01-08-2006, 12:24 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

the max value for that car on KBB with low miles is a little under 7 grand. If you can get it for 1500 it might be a good deal, but man thats going to be a LOT of work. It sounds like a huge money sink... You can definatly find a better vehicle for less.

Infact I'll save you some time
Auto trader link

Easy. All mustangs between 100-3000 with a v8 and LESS then 100k miles.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Crystal
2nd Gear Member

The people before me are correct in saying there are lots of cars out there. But on the other hand, $3,000 for a 94-95 5.0 is really a good price. Typically in my area, they run $4,000-$6,000. Check Kelly Blue Book and NADA for the private party value of the car to see what the car is really worth in your area.

If your heart is set on the car, ask the seller if you can put a refundable deposit on the car and have a mechanic check it out. This way you have a better idea of what you will have to repair for sure as well as the cost involved. If the repairs are more than the value and what you are willing to spend, pass. Believe me, I already put in about an extra grand into my car in addition to the purchase price.

Looking at the picture posted, I was wondering if this was the seller's house. You can have a little insight on how the car was maintained by looking around you. You can tell what that person is like by the way maintains her other possessions. That may help you with your decision too.

When looking for a car, you have to leave your emotions at home, think in terms of money involved because there are lots of cars to choose from. It will just take time to find the right one.

Old 01-08-2006, 11:52 AM
ben5.0
3rd Gear Member

well we went and look at it again in the day light.. there isnt anything wrong with the interior, and the exterior just needs a paint job that my buddy is willing to help me with. the motor was supposedly kept up, becuase the owner is a airplane mechanic. the car shifts good, and runs without a problem. i'm offering $1500 today. thx guys
Old 01-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Crystal
2nd Gear Member

If the guy accepts $1,500 for the car, he obviously doesn't know what he has.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:38 PM
ben5.0
3rd Gear Member

idk man..its definately not in top shape...and the title is ****....but i dont plan on selling the car in the next 5 or 6 years..so it wont matter. i think the highest i would pay for the car, wouldnt be over $2000
Old 01-08-2006, 01:33 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben5.0

idk man..its definately not in top shape...and the title is ****....but i dont plan on selling the car in the next 5 or 6 years..so it wont matter. i think the highest i would pay for the car, wouldnt be over $2000
Don't say you aren't planning on selling it for a long time. I said the same thing when I got my 03 GT. "It's so bad *** I'm ganna have it forever!" 6 months later, there is a for sale sign in the window.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:22 PM
ben5.0
3rd Gear Member

but its different when u do all your own work to the car..especially if it is older, and not that expensive.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

If I ever had a 5.0 mustang, I would never get rid of it. What's wrong with the title?
Old 01-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ben5.0

well today my dad and i went and looked at a '95 gt. the interior is in good condition, but the exterior is not. there isnt any rust, but the paint is in very bad condition. it has 150,000 miles on it, and u can tell. it was owned by a female, so the oil is black, all the fluids need changing, which isnt a problem. but i just dont kno if the car has been badly neglected. there isnt any modifications done to it, it might need a new power steering pump, becus the fluid looked like mud. it needs new brakes, and possibly a new water pump. the car definately needs work, and i am on a budget, but the car wont be driven everyday, for about 2 months. the listing is $3000, but i can probably talk them down sum.. what does everybody think? or should i go look around sum more, and take the chance of this car getting sold?

How much will it cost to get all this fixed, even if you do all the work yourself? I think it has been neglected from what you have said. How much trouble is it to get the oil changed? For gosh sakes, an airplane mechanic owns it. What does that tell you?

My daughter just got a car with 129,000 miles and plans on keeping it for 4-5 years. She paid 3,900 for it and had to stick in another grand for tires and some minor repairs which she and her dad did together. How far do you think you will go with 150,000 miles. Are you willing to put in another engine if needed at 160,000 miles?

Quick Reply: in a pickle...need opinions