General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

in a pickle...need opinions

Old 01-04-2006, 09:35 PM
ben5.0
3rd Gear Member

Default in a pickle...need opinions

well today my dad and i went and looked at a '95 gt. the interior is in good condition, but the exterior is not. there isnt any rust, but the paint is in very bad condition. it has 150,000 miles on it, and u can tell. it was owned by a female, so the oil is black, all the fluids need changing, which isnt a problem. but i just dont kno if the car has been badly neglected. there isnt any modifications done to it, it might need a new power steering pump, becus the fluid looked like mud. it needs new brakes, and possibly a new water pump. the car definately needs work, and i am on a budget, but the car wont be driven everyday, for about 2 months. the listing is $3000, but i can probably talk them down sum.. what does everybody think? or should i go look around sum more, and take the chance of this car getting sold?

Old 01-04-2006, 09:39 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: in a pickle...need opinions

start off at 2500.00
Old 01-04-2006, 09:49 PM
ben5.0
3rd Gear Member

well he said that he really needed to get rid of it due to a divorce, so im just gonna show like $1500 cash, and go from there
Old 01-04-2006, 09:59 PM
razarr69
2nd Gear Member

Its worth a try if hes desperate for money.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:11 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

i personally wouldnt buy a vehicle with that many problems. a vehicle being neglected of maintence will have more problems down the road. id feel bad if you paid $2500 and got a worse car than me. i paid 2500 for my car and its in great shape for a 20 year old car that has been driven over 200k miles and was out in the weather.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

Forget it dude. The exterior is a bitch to clean up and it will dig a hole in your pocket. I got my car with pretty good paint and all and I invested about 500 dollars in the beggining to get the heater core and ac and all the hoses replaced. I got a great deal because I knew the mechanics and only payed for parts so I can only imagine what you would have to fork over ifyou have someone you dont know do it for you. I also payed 4250 for my car and it had performance in it already. Just keep looking you will find a car that you will just not be able to say no to. The day before I bought my car I was going to get a 95 and right before I left I read the reports and the brakes where horrible and a lot of different things scored super low so I just went with the 94 cause it was a bit better in those categories. Good luck and dont worry there are so many mustangs out there it will make you dizzy.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:23 PM
ben5.0
3rd Gear Member

but at the same time i only have $4000 to spend on a car period. so if i bought this one, i could but sum performance parts, and get it painted all for about the same price as buying one for $4000
Old 01-04-2006, 11:34 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

In this case, I would say pass also. Main reason, the paint. A good paint job (which im sure you will want) is going to cost a pretty penny. You will be at your 4000 mark before you know it. Thats when the engine is going to get weak on you mainly because it has been let go and you are going to be laying into it a bit (which is why you want a mustang in the first place). Your looking at a money pit and it will drain you. Then again, you could get this and it run just fine for a long time (have had that happen too). So, in the end, its your choice, but knowing that it has been neglected, you may not want to take the chance. Like somebody else said, Mustangs are everywhere, dont settle......
Old 01-04-2006, 11:36 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't pay anymore then 1500. I would do routine maintanence then drive it a little while. Chances are things are going to go if its been neglected.

I've driven my car only 4000 miles since I got it. I bought it and it seemed in good condition within the first 2000 miles I had to do $1500 in repair, either needed it done to pass inspection or it broke. I also did all my own work so that is just for parts. Since I've fixed all the major problems its been running pretty good.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:43 AM
hookandpull
2nd Gear Member

i would pass on this car as well man..... my dad had a real good term for this kind of car.."MONEY PIT"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: in a pickle...need opinions