General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil leak and burning oil smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:09 PM
1badsc

Default Oil leak and burning oil smell

Just picked up an 01 GT stang with 20,000 miles ATI procharger, intercooler, BBK TB and so on. My problem is that I am starting to smell a burnt oil smell and can see a little bit of smoke coming from the back of the block when I open the hood. The amount of smoke is very very little but I can smell it. Do the the 4.6 motors have any common oil leaking problems back there or do you think it is a rear main seal?
Old 01-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Oil leak and burning oil smell

Don't think you'd smell oil from the rear main...it's too low. It would drip out between the engine and tranny. Check the back of the intake or where the pcv valve goes or if someone had the valve covers off maybe they screwed up putting them back on. You shouldn't be leaking any oil at 20K miles.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:10 AM
1badsc

Took it in under warranty and turns out it was the rear of the head gasket leaking. Luckily it was just leaking oil out of the back and the water jackets were still in tact. Dealer is fixing it all at no cost except they only wanted to fix the one side that was leaking. I had to argue with them to get them to replace both sides.

They said they have to pull the whole engine out to change the head gaskets on the 2v 4.6, is that true? If it is, I might as well have them throw a clutch in while the block is out.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:01 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1badsc

Took it in under warranty and turns out it was the rear of the head gasket leaking. Luckily it was just leaking oil out of the back and the water jackets were still in tact. Dealer is fixing it all at no cost except they only wanted to fix the one side that was leaking. I had to argue with them to get them to replace both sides.

They said they have to pull the whole engine out to change the head gaskets on the 2v 4.6, is that true? If it is, I might as well have them throw a clutch in while the block is out.
You got them to do warranty work with a supercharger on there? How'd you con them on that one Share your secrets.

Anyway, no, the engine does not have to be pulled to replace a head gasket. A surprising amount of work can be done on the engine without needing to pull it from the engine bay. Whether the job is easier out of the engine bay is another deal, but no, it does not need to be pulled. If they are pulling it and you can scam them into a new clutch too, why not!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:38 AM
1badsc

They are doing it under warranty because the car had the Supercharger on it when I purchased it off of them. Also has a diablo chip, bbk headers, BBK TB, BBK Mid pipe, BBK Suspension, CL Intake plenum, ATI Procharger with intercooler/
So there is no real secrets. Sorry.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:42 AM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

I would be suspect that they are not going to do both sides. I can't see them agreeing to the extra work on their dime. They probably just agreed to shut you up. Besides how would you know unless you were there when they were doing the work. If it makes you feel any better...one side has nothing to do with the other.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1badsc

They are doing it under warranty because the car had the Supercharger on it when I purchased it off of them. Also has a diablo chip, bbk headers, BBK TB, BBK Mid pipe, BBK Suspension, CL Intake plenum, ATI Procharger with intercooler/
So there is no real secrets. Sorry.
Now my life is ruined!!!I wanted to buy some land in Fl or maybe a bridge somewhere.[:@]
Old 02-01-2006, 12:41 AM
1badsc

Well my thing was this. If they are going to pull everything off to do one side, they might as well do the other side too. I have to pay for parts but they are taking care of the labor for the other side. And for some reason they are going to pull then entire block to do the heads. No Idea why, unless it is easier for them that way. Oh well, i get the car back on Thursday.