General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone have experience with Sumitomo HTR's

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 12:11 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone have esperience with Sumitomo HTR's

ORIGINAL: wwmost

iono if i should get these or save for some 555's d/r. or i might just get the HTR's upfront and some d/r's in the back since the traction with these will prob suck. what do you guys think?
I'm telling you, I've got the 315's in the rear. If you want traction, these are not for you. Yeah, you could do it up front, but the nitto's will be so much better than these. Plus if you are not too hard doing too many burnouts, then they should last a little awhile at least.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:49 AM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

My car is a daily driver, never been to the track, and probably won't go any time soon. I've got 275/40/17 & 315/35/17 in the back. The look is great. IMHO anything narrower would look odd. I don't have any problems with traction, but then driving from stoplight to stoplight and out on the highway, not many cars do...

I've got 5k miles on mine with no problems. I just couldn't see spending almost twice as much for BFG's (which are usually my favorite tires). With the money I would have spent I got a polygraphite front end kit for my Belvedere... and some decent tires for the Stang...
Old 02-01-2006, 08:35 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: closer9

My car is a daily driver, never been to the track, and probably won't go any time soon. I've got 275/40/17 & 315/35/17 in the back. The look is great. IMHO anything narrower would look odd. I don't have any problems with traction, but then driving from stoplight to stoplight and out on the highway, not many cars do...

I've got 5k miles on mine with no problems. I just couldn't see spending almost twice as much for BFG's (which are usually my favorite tires). With the money I would have spent I got a polygraphite front end kit for my Belvedere... and some decent tires for the Stang...
what kind of tires are you running. the nittos or sumitomos?
Old 02-01-2006, 11:31 AM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

Sumitomo... Got them from a local tire shop for about $20 more than I would have paid from tirerack, but that also included mounting, balancing, new valve stems and free rotation/flat fixes...
Old 02-01-2006, 02:28 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: closer9

I've had a problem when I tried hooking up from a stoplight to go at it with another stang. I swear I wasn't up over 1200 rpms, and I sat and spun for hours.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:31 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

well maybe they would be good for a daily driver. ill get dr's if i really want grip,
Old 02-01-2006, 02:38 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

well maybe they would be good for a daily driver. ill get dr's if i really want grip,
Oh, yes, they work just fine for daily driving. I havn't ran into any problems with that.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:56 PM
95StangCobra
2nd Gear Member

Ok first of all, i have sumitomos and i have no problem with traction. I took them to the road track a couple of times and i have no problems. YEs they do make a little road noise, but other than that its a great tire. I think 275 in the front is way to big, its gonna make a big stress on your power steering and make alot of stress on your suspension, We all know how ford's power steering is. My setup is 265/35/18 in a 18*9 and inthe back i have 285/35/18 on a 18*10 rim. I couldn't go with bigger or smaller tires because i would either get to much push out of the turn or not enough grip, so i would not think twice about getting these sumitomos, They are alot better then nittos from my experience!!!

NITTO tires are just overrated and to expensive!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 03:03 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 95StangCobra

Ok first of all, i have sumitomos and i have no problem with traction. I took them to the road track a couple of times and i have no problems. YEs they do make a little road noise, but other than that its a great tire. I think 275 in the front is way to big, its gonna make a big stress on your power steering and make alot of stress on your suspension, We all know how ford's power steering is. My setup is 265/35/18 in a 18*9 and inthe back i have 285/35/18 on a 18*10 rim. I couldn't go with bigger or smaller tires because i would either get to much push out of the turn or not enough grip, so i would not think twice about getting these sumitomos, They are alot better then nittos from my experience!!!

NITTO tires are just overrated and to expensive!!!

Road racing is a whole different world than drag racing. That's like comparing apples and oranges.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Number one, you should never lower your speed rating on your tires more than one level at most. The manual usually even states this. Your GT was designed and the suspension tuned, ABS tweaked, etc. for 245/45Z-17 tires. That is a "Z" speed rating. That means anything less than a "V" rated tire is not recommended on your car. "H" rated tires will last longer but performance will definitely lag behind both a "Z" and "V" rated tire. Bottom line, stay away from those HTR's, they are not meant for your suspension and handling package. Just go to www.tirerack.com and look around at all the high-speed tires they offer. I am sure you can find one that will meet you pocketbook. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience with Sumitomo HTR's