General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

I just have one plea to Ford about the Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2006, 07:24 PM
YinYangStang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I just have one plea to Ford about the Mustang

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

If you've ever tried driving up a hill around a turn with FWD in the snow, you'd see how quickly you lose traction from the added forces on the front wheels
that makes no sense.....

you WANT more weight on the tires that are transferring power.

ie:
dragstrips, weight to the back is good
in snow: the engine being over the wheels in a FWD vehicle is a good thing, thats why people put weight in their trucks bed, or in their cars trunk

and plowing through things in reverse? lol?? what?
I didn't say added weight my friend, in fact you quoted me as added forces. In FWD the front wheels have to power the car and also turn it. Two opposing forces that can cause you to lose all ability to steer when the front tires slip, causing you to slide off the road. You got it, weight to the back is good at all times RWD, track or snow. Acceleration causes the weight to go rearward, and the more weight the better.

As for plowing through things in reverse, listen carefully, cause you sound like you get confused easily. Next time a plow goes by your driveway and leaves a ton of snow blocking the entrance, try 2 things. Drive in forward first, then try backing in. Actually, forget it...stick with your FWD and be happy. Good luck to you.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:31 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Anyone that owns a stang should also have a dd or a beater for the winter. It's just that simple. Mine hasn't seen snow in years!! And rain for that matter.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:47 PM
LvGordo
4th Gear Member

[/quote]

Try getting into a driveway after the plow has gone by with FWD. You'll find it's much easier to back in.
[/quote]

Used to do that all the time when i lived in Pittsburgh, had a civic, the rear end was lighter and would kinda knock off the upper 2/3 of the drift, then the front would power thru it up the drive way, back end would kinda float on the snow and not get bogged down. occasionally had probs with getting snow up the pipe, but gunning the beastly 1.6L took care of that.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:31 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I didn't say added weight my friend, in fact you quoted me as added forces. In FWD the front wheels have to power the car and also turn it. Two opposing forces that can cause you to lose all ability to steer when the front tires slip, causing you to slide off the road. You got it, weight to the back is good at all times RWD, track or snow. Acceleration causes the weight to go rearward, and the more weight the better.

As for plowing through things in reverse, listen carefully, cause you sound like you get confused easily. Next time a plow goes by your driveway and leaves a ton of snow blocking the entrance, try 2 things. Drive in forward first, then try backing in. Actually, forget it...stick with your FWD and be happy. Good luck to you.
sounds to me like youre a * to be honest....

if youve driven a FWD car, and a RWD car, the rwd car has a bit more tendency to slide regardless of how much weight you put on it

my winter car is a 89Grand Marquis, 5.0, rwd, no TC or anti lock brakes... its a bitch, and my dads taurus handles like a dream compared to it
Old 02-14-2006, 01:42 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

yinyang is right.... as for driving a stang in the snow, its all about the tires. with the right tires its really not a big problem at all.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:47 AM
tictac
2nd Gear Member

i love driving in the snow with my mustang. especially on a military post. it seems like NO ONE knows how to drive in the snow, and they look at me all pissed off when they are sliding around the road trying to stay forward and im going past them at like 35mph.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:51 AM
PonyPower

Can someone link me to some good, but not too expensive snow tires? If it matters I have a 01 V6
Old 02-14-2006, 02:18 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

tirerack.com will have a few for ur 15" wheels. Its when u gotta buy em for 17" rims that u start gettin little and expensive choices
Old 02-14-2006, 06:45 AM
Magiarn71
3rd Gear Member

I've driven all kinds of cars and rwd is WORSE in the snow, period. Even heavy rwd cars suck. I've gotten in driveways FORWARDS with a fwd that I'd never make in a rwd, backwards or forwards. You can apply all the physics you like, weight over the powered wheels is going to be better. You cant drive to work backwards.....

Reminds me of a friend that always said you didnt need a 4x4, a 2wd truck was fine - it was all about "knowing how to drive". Now he has a 4wd and would never go back and I mess with him all the time about it.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Country1969
2nd Gear Member

When I bought my 2005 Stang, people had the same reaction about the snow. How do you expect to get around in the snow with a Mustang? I tell them the same way I've been getting around the last 19 years of driving. The roads here in our local town suck. But I manage to get around. If they don't plow them, RWD or FWD you have a good chance of getting stuck. My wife has FWD in her 2002 Saturn SC2 and she got stuck.

Anyways, why would I store a $26,000 car for the winter months......listen up......make monthly payments and pay car insurance on this Stang......still listening......buy a junker (and go thru garage bills) and pay another car insurance bill than drive a brand new 2005 Mustang.
I can't drop the insurance because it's has to be insured by the bank.
I get up every morning and turn that key and it starts every time. Thats the reason for buying a new car.
If people can't seem to understand that , I don't know what to say. I enjoy driving my Stang everyday while others enjoy theirs a few months out of the year.

Quick Reply: I just have one plea to Ford about the Mustang