General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Planning on getting a 99-04 mustang...which has potential to be faster?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 08:48 PM
MaxLax44

Default Planning on getting a 99-04 mustang...which has potential to be faster?

I was planning on getting a 99-04 mustang and plan on modding the engine. Obviosly i know the GT is faster, but does the GT or the non-GT have potential to go faster. I've heard that you have more flexiblility modding non V8 engines with cars like eclipses. So which would be more effecient to mod...i.e. speed/price
Old 02-15-2006, 08:56 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Planning on getting a 99-04 mustang...which has potential to be faster?

Well, an 03/04 Cobra will get you the most power for the cheapest (in the long run), but you're looking at $26,000+ for one right now.

The Mach's and GT's produce decent power with mods, nothing compared to what the Cobra gets, but it's still decent.

Sixer stang mods are tough to find and will be more expensive... I haven't seen too many heavily modded V6's around. I know AutoBadges has (or had) a supercharged V6... you should ask him what he has for mods and what he paid.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:40 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Planning on getting a 99-04 mustang...which has potential to be faster?

Please do not think that you are going to get more power out of the v6... The Cobras and Mach are both 4V and are thus better platforms then the gt to work on... The cobra is even better because it comes with forged internals and a blower swap and pulley and those things can make some sick power. But, the Gt is can be made to go fast as well.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:00 PM
dawssvt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt96stang

Please do not think that you are going to get more power out of the v6... The Cobras and Mach are both 4V and are thus better platforms then the gt to work on... The cobra is even better because it comes with forged internals and a blower swap and pulley and those things can make some sick power. But, the Gt is can be made to go fast as well.
[sm=exactly.gif] I would go with a 99 or 01 cobra... or if you have enough money, go with the 03/04!
Old 02-15-2006, 11:04 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

Well, an 03/04 Cobra will get you the most power for the cheapest (in the long run), but you're looking at $26,000+ for one right now.

The Mach's and GT's produce decent power with mods, nothing compared to what the Cobra gets, but it's still decent.

Sixer stang mods are tough to find and will be more expensive... I haven't seen too many heavily modded V6's around. I know AutoBadges has (or had) a supercharged V6... you should ask him what he has for mods and what he paid.
thats funny, 6ers are the easiest to mod, and for the amount you save over a GT you can go F/I and get alot more boost out of an essex then a modular.

heres the deal, you can get a V-6 and get it to eat a GT or a cobra but it takes work and money, however the GT mach and cobra are more expensive in the first place, so if you want just bolt-ons go with a GT, if you want to mod and a badass car get a 6er and mod the hell out of it.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:34 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustangman02232

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

thats funny, 6ers are the easiest to mod, and for the amount you save over a GT you can go F/I and get alot more boost out of an essex then a modular.

heres the deal, you can get a V-6 and get it to eat a GT or a cobra but it takes work and money, however the GT mach and cobra are more expensive in the first place, so if you want just bolt-ons go with a GT, if you want to mod and a badass car get a 6er and mod the hell out of it.
How many 6's can you find that can go into the 12's with little mods and a 100 shot of nitrous... Gt's can.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:28 AM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

no matter how fast it is, and how hard you try...you can never attain that true tone of a Mustang GT exhaust note with a V6. id say go with a V8...whatever one you may pick.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:49 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

no matter how fast it is, and how hard you try...you can never attain that true tone of a Mustang GT exhaust note with a V6. id say go with a V8...whatever one you may pick.
i agree 100% nothing like the deep tone of a v8 302 with a cam and exhaust
Old 02-16-2006, 09:05 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moocow_v

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

i agree 100% nothing like the deep tone of a v8 302 with a cam and exhaust
99-04s have 281 ci.

and you can get a 6er into the 10s with a 100 shot and a 4.2 stroker. however you are right about the sound because the 6ers have an even fireing order and the GTs dont.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:48 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

he was saying 302 because he has a 5.0. I prefer the sound of the 302 over the 281 also.

Quick Reply: Planning on getting a 99-04 mustang...which has potential to be faster?