Georgia Regional Chapter Chapter President: rmodel65

Knocking noise after spark plugs replacement

Old 01-08-2019, 07:26 AM
Sandstorm

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
FYI, you have a coil pack.

AND, there are only three actual coils in the pack for the 6 cylinders.
4 & 3, 6 & 2, and 5 & 1.

So, when plug 3 fires, so does 4, and so on. However, 4 may be on the exhaust stroke when
3 fires, so you still can't mix the wires up, because when 4 fires, so does 3, but 3 won't be on
the compression stroke.
Yes it is coil pack. Thanks for the response and the details. I’m debating which coil pack to get ? The OEM or an aftermarket one ?
Old 01-08-2019, 12:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

There's no advantage to going aftermarket unless you have a built motor. Even then, the OEM will be the most reliable.

Being that I'm working on a different vehicle and replacing some rod bearings, it got me thinking as to other sources of knocking. Where is your knock sound coming from? If it's from the Oil pan area, it could be rod knock as in you have a rod bearing that's worn out or spun.

How's the oil level and condition look?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:01 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
If you put the wrong ones in, they can. You should have compared them immediately
before putting them in. Some are a tad longer, some are a tad shorter, but if you
got the right ones when they were looked up, you should be fine. None will be
long enough to make contact with the pistons unless you were given the wroing
ones.
I mentioned my thought without personal knowledge of this particular engine. If a hemi-spherical combustion chamber with plug in the middle somewhere between valves, it would have to be mighty long to hit. Just a thought.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:16 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

It's not a HEMI engine... There is a bit of curvature where the valves are, but nothing like
hemi heads.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:14 PM
Sandstorm

Default I’m having hard time finding OEM coil pack reasonably priced. And in the mean time

Originally Posted by Derf00
There's no advantage to going aftermarket unless you have a built motor. Even then, the OEM will be the most reliable.
I’m having hard time to find the OEM ignition coil (Motorcraft) or when I find one is like $150. I’m afraid of buing the cheap ones too. Is there one you guys recommend
that is working for you and won’t break the bank ? Thanks guys !
Being that I'm working on a different vehicle and replacing some rod bearings, it got me thinking as to other sources of knocking. Where is your knock sound coming from? If it's from the Oil pan area, it could be rod knock as in you have a rod bearing that's worn out or spun.

How's the oil level and condition look?
Oil looks good. I’m replacing the plugs and wires with Motorcraft OEM. Next I’ll put a new coil pack but I’m having hard time finding the OEM reasonably priced. Do you guys have used any aftermarket that you’re happy with ? Thanks
Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Sandstorm

Oil looks good. I’m replacing the plugs and wires with Motorcraft OEM. Next I’ll put a new coil pack but I’m having hard time finding the OEM reasonably priced. Do you guys have used any aftermarket that you’re happy with ? Thanks
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...tion+coil,7060

any of them in the standard section from the Delphi on up. I wouldn't use Airtex or United Motor. The others are all OEM suppliers for various manufacturers (except for the Beck Arnley which itself is a rebranded one).
Old 01-31-2019, 09:14 PM
Sandstorm

Default So far

i replaced the spark plugs with the OEM Motorcraft, torqued them up the specs, replaced, spark plugs wires and spark plugs coil pack with Motorcraft as we’ll. Also replaced the tensioner pulley. The car definitely has more power but the knocking comes back seems like when the car gets warm but I can only hear it at low RPMs when get the car rolling and sometimes right before full stop. I added just a bit power steering fluid in the power steering pump and now I see a small transmission fluid puddle under need the car. So this is another problem I have to add to the list of things that are bothering me. I also think there is exhaust leek either from the heathers gasket or the heathers itself since I can hear a whistling sound too. Over all I’m having fun working on the car but the list of things is getting longer and longer. Please chime in with any ideas. Also if you know a good shop in GA...Atlanta Metro area that know this cars please let me know. Thanks in advance.