Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long term storage

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 05:37 AM
Gonzo71
1st Gear Member

Default Long term storage

Heading back to Iraq and will be storing the new Mustang for around 4 mths before I get back on R&R to drive it. I will be storing it in a garage; is there anything else that I need to do since it will be sitting this long (BTW, it only has 1500 miles on it)?

Old 03-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Long term storage

Hey Gonzo,

Four months isn't super long for storing a modern car, but you might want to look up the Classic section--that's a constant concern for older cars. The easiest thing to do would be to slap a car cover on (dust), and have someone you trust start her up and run for 15 min or so once a month. With my 72, I put in a good dose of Sta-bil at the start of winter (I'm in Chicago), a full tank of gas (did I mention I was in Chicago? brrrrrrr!), and run her every two weeks or so. With the automatic in her, I get into gear and roll around a bit to give the trans a load and move the tires.

If that's not an option, then a cover, Sta-bil, full tank of gas, and that's probably about it. I'm not as familiar with the new engine's needs during long-ish term storage, but I'm guessing that for only 4 months you don't need to take any special precautions, except for a slow start-up and full warm up when you get back. Maybe put some mouse-traps under the tires (don't laugh--had a mouse once make my old 81 TransAm into his new home...and I was driving it everyday!).

Four months...for your car, I wouldn't worry too much...for you, in Iraq, stay safe brother.
Best,
-j
Old 03-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Gonzo71
1st Gear Member

Philostang,
Thanks for the info. I would never have thought about the mouse traps. The car will be stored in NW FL, so cold shouln't be a problem. Have a buddy right down the street that will start and run it for me.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:27 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I only disagree with philostang in one area. NO COVER!! The mice want you to put a cover on. Dust is not going to hurt your car in 4 mos but mice will make a nice home in a few days and even eat into fabrics, headliner (leave your sun visors down!!), carpeting etc. ...ad if one dies in your car you may not find it but you will smell it. Mouse traps are fine but once tripped they are useless and the contents will stink. Get 4 boxes of moth *****, cut them in half giving you 8. Put 1 on the outside and inside next to the base of each tire. Mice will not go here and that's where they climb up. (I used to hang out with mice :-) Also if you can put 2 or 3 night lights in the garage or a double tube florescent. Cost is nothing to run and mice like the dark (as in under the cover I hope you don't put on). A battery minder would be a good idea. Otherwise you got enough info.

Oh, the moth ***** will NOT smell up your car.

Take care in Iraq; Thanks!!! to you and all the troops!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:04 AM
GTRacing
1st Gear Member

I agree with the above, stabilize gas, battery monitor, no cover, moth ***** used as described (but they won't last for four months. I'd buy an extra two boxes, seel them in a heavy zip lock bag and get your buddy to replace the old with new when necessary. The moth ***** also keep all crawling insects away. (spiders, fire ants, etc.) One last precaution, let your buddy know you have written down the mileage on the odometer. Be safe and thanks from me and my family.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:27 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Before you park it, turn on your ac to the MAX setting to close off the vent panel from the outside - that should eliminate any insects or mice getting in the cabin. Well, that and making sure your windows are up tight and the trunk is closed I vote for the cover - if is form fitted to the car, then mice shouldn't be much of a problem - but traps around it ain't a bad idea
Old 03-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Gonzo71
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the tips guys. My buddy says that he'll check on it weekly for me.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:06 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Good point on telling your buddy you wrote down the mileage. Yeah my experience has been that the moth ***** shrink down to where there not probably large enough to be effective, after about 4-5 weeks. So sure, replenish once a month.