Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2004 GT Vert vs 2006 GT Coupe - Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 08:41 PM
wackit1

Default RE: 2004 GT Vert vs 2006 GT Coupe - Help

Tough choice. I have a 2001 GT with a few mods and it's very well taken care of. I love the car but I certainly wouldn't mind having an 2006 GT. Too bad you can't hang onto the '06 and buy back your '04 as well - then problem solved. Seriously, being a big car affectionado I feel your pain. However, someone made a good point, with the money you would stand to lose by swapping back, you could take that money and put it to good use on your '06 with a few outrageous mods. Anyway, I hope everything works out for you.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:06 PM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

I have to admit I was IN love with my last car....until I got into this one and burned through third [sm=gears.gif]
Old 03-02-2006, 11:30 PM
canes44
1st Gear Member

Hey man whatever car makes you happy,but I would stick with the 06!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

hey Vernlaw, i'm lookn at gettn on 05 stang. i would just like to ask you if you have any tips to get the best deal out the door?

Any information could really help me out. The car i was lookn at was an red 05 vert and an red 06 vert. Any suggestions on negotiation techniques
Old 03-02-2006, 11:51 PM
woodywoody
2nd Gear Member

I have been there man. I have only had my 06 GT Vert for about 3 weeks now and i am already thinking about a Lancer Evo MR or something else but i know that it's stupid for me to buy a new car and then get another new car right away. It's because i didn't test out everything and have a bad time making a decision like you seem too. I would just stick with it.

-W
Old 03-02-2006, 11:55 PM
2006gtstick
1st Gear Member

I think once you have your 2006 a bit longer it will grow on you, and you will start thinking less and less about your 2004. I have been in a lot of 02-04 GT's and I think the 05-06's are a lot better looking, I know they are faster, and are built better. If you get your old car back your gonna get skinned on the deal, you will have a old body style, and you will be upside down on your old car. KEEP the 06' you will like it more and more.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:39 AM
SpikeGT
2nd Gear Member

just wondering, what was so great about the 04 that the 06 doesn't have other than being a vert and different body styles.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:04 AM
VernLaw
1st Gear Member

The game is a lot different if you are buying a used than if you are buying new. Namely, the guys selling you the used car doesn't care if you walk away from the deal. He is not interested in volume sales, only in profit. And since his profit is just the margin between what he paid for the car and what you will give him, there is no good way to judge what his best price is (b/c you never know if he bought the car at some auction for fair market price or stole it dirt cheap on a trade-in).

As for new cars, just follow the golden rule - always leave. If you do your research you will find the invoice price for a new GT Vert to be roughly 7-8% off of the sticker price depending on the options (since there are no rebates on GTs right now, that is all the markup the dealer has.) Remember that the real sticker price is the MSRP, not some dealer added sticker with "Dealer Prep" and "Undercoat Protectant and Sealer". That stuff is a load of crap that they just stick on for more profit. So, if the car stickers for $33,500, you know the invoice reads about $30,800, and with current market condition you cannot expect them to sell it to you for invoice.

SO here are the steps to follow (for new car): Drive it, look at it, let the salesman do his pitch about "High demand" and "Three other people drove it this morning" and all thier usual BS. THEN, offer them less than invoice (but not so low they throw you out). They will argue with you for about 2 hours and tell you it can't be done, just keep telling them the "other" dealership told you they would sell you thiers for invoice (never tell them which dealership the "other" one is, they will call them, trust me).

Finally you will shake hands and leave for the day, but not before they ask you for the "You will sign it right now" price. Leave them with the "sign it right now" price of $30,800, then leave.

Call the salesman the next day (if he doesn't call you first) and ask him if he can do the deal yet. He will say no. But if you can get the sales manager on the phone, he will just keep telling you "come in and we will work it out". Repeat steps increasing your offer by no more than $200 per visit.

This is the way to get the best deal. It is time consuming, but it WILL work. Sometimes after the first trip back. But ALWAYS leave at least once.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:51 AM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangster06

Thanks to everyone for the replies - BTW - I appreciate ALL the comments - they are helping me a lot. Everyone who feels this is crazy is probably right - that's how I feel. I feel like a sucker - now just trying to finally make a decision and reduce my loss if I decide i went the wrong way. If they were to sell the car today it wouldn't be a problem. i really will feel the $ loss, especailly since we still have some damage from Wilma to pay for - but if I do trade back, I will hopefully also be able to get some $ back.

I will keep looking forward to and listening to any advise or comments provided. I have promised myself I will make a decision on this by tomorrow.

Thanks to all again for the honest and kind help!
you still have to pay for damage caused by a hurricane, and you're even CONSIDERING BLOWING 4 grand on a BAD trade in? you've depreciated the value of two cars now, and you're willing to give back the one that has depreciated LESS, in exchange for the one that has depreciated MORE, and on top of that, you're going to also end up losing MORE on that trade? so you're going to lose whatever you have already lost on your 04 AND 06 through depreciation, and on top of it you're going to lose 4 grand in the process of getting your old wheels back. so really you're going to take a hit of much more than 4 grand, if you take into account the depreciated value of both cars.

that's just a bad move in my opinion. i know you love that car, but you've had your new one for 1 month you say? you sound confused. give yourself some time to warm up to your new stang. i never really liked the 99-04 series anyway. i know i'll get crap from people for that, but i don't care....your 04, had pretty much the same EXACT interior that my 98 did. ford went to the trouble of changing the exterior of the 99-04 (with a not so great replacement IMO), yet they did nothing to the interior of the car. the 05/06 is a complete redesign of the mustang from the bottom up, and it's gorgeous inside and out. if you miss your vert so much, trade your 06 in for an 06 vert....you'll pay AT LEAST another 4 grand for that trade.....but that would be more worth it in my opinion. good luck buddy....
Old 03-03-2006, 09:10 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

i would go back and just see if you could get it back, i would deff go and get it because

1.) verts rock
2.) the SN-95s look alot better then the 05-06s

Quick Reply: 2004 GT Vert vs 2006 GT Coupe - Help