Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2004 GT Vert vs 2006 GT Coupe - Help

Old 03-03-2006, 11:52 AM
ultraclyde

Default RE: 2004 GT Vert vs 2006 GT Coupe - Help

what is it you miss about the old car? specific mannerisms, mods, or characteristics? Or is it just sentimentality? If it's something specific about the car, consider finding another gt vert of the same year that might be on a dealership that would be a little more desperate than your current? Could you find an individual selling an older vert in order to buy a new coupe, and work out a deal? Or, is it your specific car, that one and that one only? If so, it's probably just sentiment, which isn't worth taking a 4k hit for. I'd keep the new one for a while longer before you trade it. I think they're fantastic, but I may be biased!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:17 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Thanks all for yor feedback and opinions - exactly what I was hoping for. It's been a great help.

Just want to clarify - If I trade my new GT back for the 04 vert, i would get back about $4000. (assuming I get the 04 back for 19K and they give me 23K for mine. Does that sound reasonable? What do you think VernLaw?

The reason I am having buyer's remorse I guess is that I have always loved convertibles. My first one was an Alfa Romeo Spyder I bought new when I got my first real job. Then the family came and I got a red chevy extended cab truck. After about a year, my wife got the truck and I got a Jeep Wrangler (sort of a convertible...) I drove the Jeep for 10 years before selling it and getting the GT vert about a year and a half ago. I loved the car and feel it provides the best convertible experience for under 30K as far as power, looks, etc. The Alfa Romeo was fun but it can not compare with the GT vert in terms of performance. I always remember a commercial with the President of Ford saying that if he could have only one car for the rest of his life "it would be a red mustang convertible with a throaty V8 and a killer sound system". I thought I would drive that car for at leat 10 years. It had only 8000 miles on it and I had maintained it great. I doubt I could find another like that especially since I know how it was driven and maintained.

When the new body style came out I really liked it. I also read really good things about it everywhere, ten best cars, etc. It was kind of like when the Datsun 240Z came out in the early 70's.

I convinced myself that this would be a better car for me and went to the dealer. i drove the car and was not so impressed with the performance vs the 04 GT vert. Definitely a difference but not what I expected. I was ready to leave and the salesman - a young guy who owns a 2005 GT himself told me he could get me a great deal. I stayed - should have walked away - and decided to make the deal.

I really like the new GT but now kind of wish I had walked and saved $8000. I always have been one to learn the hard way so this is just another (expensive) lesson. I hope I learned anyway

I want to thank everyone again for all their feedback.

I think I will be keeping the 2006.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:03 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangster06

Thanks all for yor feedback and opinions - exactly what I was hoping for. It's been a great help.

Just want to clarify - If I trade my new GT back for the 04 vert, i would get back about $4000. (assuming I get the 04 back for 19K and they give me 23K for mine. Does that sound reasonable? What do you think VernLaw?

The reason I am having buyer's remorse I guess is that I have always loved convertibles. My first one was an Alfa Romeo Spyder I bought new when I got my first real job. Then the family came and I got a red chevy extended cab truck. After about a year, my wife got the truck and I got a Jeep Wrangler (sort of a convertible...) I drove the Jeep for 10 years before selling it and getting the GT vert about a year and a half ago. I loved the car and feel it provides the best convertible experience for under 30K as far as power, looks, etc. The Alfa Romeo was fun but it can not compare with the GT vert in terms of performance. I always remember a commercial with the President of Ford saying that if he could have only one car for the rest of his life "it would be a red mustang convertible with a throaty V8 and a killer sound system". I thought I would drive that car for at leat 10 years. It had only 8000 miles on it and I had maintained it great. I doubt I could find another like that especially since I know how it was driven and maintained.

When the new body style came out I really liked it. I also read really good things about it everywhere, ten best cars, etc. It was kind of like when the Datsun 240Z came out in the early 70's.

I convinced myself that this would be a better car for me and went to the dealer. i drove the car and was not so impressed with the performance vs the 04 GT vert. Definitely a difference but not what I expected. I was ready to leave and the salesman - a young guy who owns a 2005 GT himself told me he could get me a great deal. I stayed - should have walked away - and decided to make the deal.

I really like the new GT but now kind of wish I had walked and saved $8000. I always have been one to learn the hard way so this is just another (expensive) lesson. I hope I learned anyway

I want to thank everyone again for all their feedback.

I think I will be keeping the 2006.

07 GT 500 vert

id get the vert back still though, does your wife need a new car? give her the 05 and go get your 04 back
Old 03-04-2006, 01:47 AM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Hey MustangMan - Don't think I didn't try that already - she just laughed (both are 5-spd) - she is an SUV or sedan person.

btw - i think some people have a special thing for verts - seems like you do - and some people don't see the appeal. I know my wife and son did not really like riding with the top down.

The 500 is out of my league but my next car will probably be a gt vert.

Cheers
Old 03-04-2006, 02:02 AM
AirForceGeorge
1st Gear Member

I got my '06 GT vert for 100 under invoice which I think is quite good. Vernlaws method sounds good too but here's what I think...

Deal over the phone first. When you're dealing with internet managers they know you have probably done more researchand are net savvy. I built the Mustang on Ford's site and it came to about 33k MSRP. While I was window shopping I was told by one dealer the sticker price was firm demand is high blah blah. Another would do me a "special deal" of 1k off. When I decided what I wanted I called a 3rd dealer with the exact car I wanted, ran off the options, told him I was already offered 1500 off MSRP and would be buying within 24 hours from whichever of the 5 dealers in the area would quote me the lowest price. He quoted me 2500 off or 100 under invoice. The dealer I had originally worked with (test drove etc) matched it, though almost angrilly, and I actually went with him in a bout of impulse. I mean, at under invoice I figured I couldn't go wrong. So I put a deposit without calling the other 2 area dealers and when I got home the original "low quoter" had an e-mail saying he could offer a "minimum of 2500 off MSRP" which to me means he woulda gone off at least another 500.

So basically I think the best best is to call a bunch of dealers and have them price war bid it out. Call another dealer and exaggerate the offer by 500 bucks each time until a couple dealers walk away. Then you know you're at about bottom. It helps to arm yourself with the consumer reports pricing tool, know all the incentives, rebates available etc. Also, when you call a dealer, make it clear you know what you exactly want and you're ready to do business immediately, no time for games on their part.

I feel like I did especially well because as a military member I was able to keep away from paying sales tax. That saves me about 1500 bucks. I'm gonna use this new car buying strategy from now on. Truth is though, to save money, slightly used cars are where its at.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:45 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

Thanks AirForceGeorge - I am pretty sure my next car will be a gt vert - congratulations on yours. I have decided, thanks to all the great feedback, that I am going to keep the new GT and try to save up for a vert in the next few years - who knows. I would definitely look at a used vert with low miles even though I have not bought a used car in 20 years.

Now i will be doing what seems to be the best mod - a CAI and tune. I'm reading all the posts related to that and have gotten some great education but will probably have some questions.

This forum and the people are the best! Hope I can help out in the future too.

Cheers and Great Karma to All!