Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Calling all Saleen SC'd Stangs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 06:21 PM
DanDaMan
1st Gear Member

Default Calling all Saleen SC'd Stangs

My ’05 Mustang GT is in the Ford dealer right now getting a Saleen SC installed (special "March" deal here in SoCal). Beyond my aftermarket K&N filter replacement--this is my first mod. [sm=burnout.gif]

I’ve read many places on the various forums about inadequacies of the stock setup with the Saleen PCM flash. I’m trying to get the straight scoop.

I’ve read that the stock 24# injectors at about 5k RPM are not adequate along with the stock MAF sensor pegging out around the same RPM level. I've also read that when that happens the PCM tells the injectors to go to 100% and as the RPM's continue to climb is when things get too lean. [sm=insomnia.gif] I've also read that Saleen is banking on the detonation sensors telling the PCM when to ease back on the gas (or something like that).

I have no problem going with larger (39#) injectors or even a Preditor or a SCT 2 tuner and a CAI if necessary. But I am having a problem finding out just exactly everything I need. [sm=headbang.gif] Oh, and why didn't Saleen include larger injectors if this is truely the problem it seems to be?[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

My goal is to go über conservative on this car. It's my daily driver that gets plenty of miles.

What do I need? And how should I proceed? Should I just find a local speed shop in my area and get a custom tune? Or can an online SCT or Predator dealer ship me the tune I need for the configuration that I have? SCT vs. Predator--which one?[sm=helpout.gif] Who do you guys recommend that have dealt with tunes for Saleen SC'd '05/'06 stangs?

I'm waiting to hear back from the guy at Ford who is contacting his guy at Saleen. I'll post an update when I hear back from them.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:38 PM
DanDaMan
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Calling all Saleen SC'd Stangs

I just heard back from Ford who is passing on what he was told from his guy at Saleen.

They said the tune from Saleen is a "conservative tune" that will work fine and is safe as long as no other modificaions are made to the car.

I told my guy at Ford that I will be dyno'ing the car right after I pick it up (much later this week).

Stay tuned.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:31 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

There are alot of variables, and no two cars are going to react the same to those variables. But for the most part, everything you have read is pretty common.

Yes, the Saleen tune is ultra conservative, and yes, it is written for an otherwise stock vehicle. You are probably going to only be impressed for a couple of days or so with the provided tune ( just my opinion ). With a different set of injectors and a professional tune, you can easily get over 400 to the wheels and still be running a conservative tune. As for the MAF pegging out, you shouldn't really have to worry about that unless you start trying to max out the setup by dumping more timing and fuel in to it.

From what I have read, the Saleen provided tune is going to get you somewhere in the 370-ish range on rwhp. Throw in a set of 39lb injectors and go get a dyno tune and you should be in the low 400s without any problem. I am running only 17 degrees of timing, 4lbs boost, changed injectors, and am at 415 to the wheels with 11.5 A/F all the way through the RPM range. And still get 25mpg on the highway running 80mph with the A/C on.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:40 PM
DanDaMan
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

There are alot of variables, and no two cars are going to react the same to those variables. But for the most part, everything you have read is pretty common.

Yes, the Saleen tune is ultra conservative, and yes, it is written for an otherwise stock vehicle. You are probably going to only be impressed for a couple of days or so with the provided tune ( just my opinion ). With a different set of injectors and a professional tune, you can easily get over 400 to the wheels and still be running a conservative tune. As for the MAF pegging out, you shouldn't really have to worry about that unless you start trying to max out the setup by dumping more timing and fuel in to it.

From what I have read, the Saleen provided tune is going to get you somewhere in the 370-ish range on rwhp. Throw in a set of 39lb injectors and go get a dyno tune and you should be in the low 400s without any problem. I am running only 17 degrees of timing, 4lbs boost, changed injectors, and am at 415 to the wheels with 11.5 A/F all the way through the RPM range. And still get 25mpg on the highway running 80mph with the A/C on.

HAWGMAN,

Thanks for the info!!!

Dan
Old 03-07-2006, 02:37 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Dan, I'm also about to get my Saleen charger put in. I ordered the MAF converter, 39 lb injectors, CAI, and SCT tune from JDM (just waiting for it to get here.....[:@]). I've gotten it on good word from several sources that I'll be putting out anywhere from 410 to 425rwhp with that setup. It all depends on where you're looking to end up. You want to hit the magic 400 number? Or is 365 to 380 good enough? Either way, go with an aftermarket tune or a custom tune........I've heard dissatisfied comments about Saleens stock tune. It will also save u the hassle of getting the PCM sent to them for reflash.
IMO I think you should go with the full setup like me. Doesn't make sense to dump so much money into a charger just to end up with 350rwhp. I mean, if thats all u need, thats fine. But I made up my mind when I ordered the series 6 that I wanted 400 at the rear tires MINIMUM. And I think it'll be worth it. And just think, this is all on the stock Saleen pulley. Go to JDM for a smaller pulley and for probably 500 bucks (pulley + retune) you could be puttin down anywhere from 450 to 520rwhp!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:34 PM
DanDaMan
1st Gear Member

Blood,

Yeah...

I've gone back and forth with the guys at JDM. They seem to have their act together.

Plan A is to get her dyno'd right after the install just to be sure I've nothing to grip about (i.e. the A/F ratio). Assuming everything there is good I'll probably stick with that config for the next 5 months or so. Maybe then I'll pop for the JDM setup. My SC is being purchased on "the card" and was very "not-planned" so I want to get most of that paid off first as the JDM package is about $1300.

Of course, there's always Plan B which is to get tired of the stock config after a few weeks and go with the JDM setup (again, on "the card"). I'm also gonna be coming due for some new rubber in the next few months (or sooner with a SC) which will of course require new rims--I still have the stock stuff there. That's another $1500 or so.[sm=yikesomg.gif]

I'll post my dyno numbers (everywhere) when I get her back.

Dan

P.S. Let me now how the JDM package installs. Are you going to do it yourself?
Old 03-08-2006, 02:40 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Yea man, I hear ya on the money side of things. I actually cut my planned down payment on the GT in half and used that money for the supercharger[8D]. And recently, I made a little trip to the bank and took out a small loan.....this will be my car project money. I couldn't bare the thought of waiting up to two years to save and do a little at a time. I just don't have any patience. lol. The charger goes in soon along with the JDM goodies. Then I'm lookin at some lower control arms and maybe some suspension upgrades. Then I have to make up my mind on what hood and spoiler I'm goin with and get a quote on how much my stripes and paint reclear job are gonna cost[:@] The hell with it, I want this car done by the end of the summer
I'm still waiting on JDM to get my tuner out the door. Their tuner guy has been out of town for over a week and I guess I ordered at the wrong time. Hopefully my tune will be in a UPS truck within the next couple of days......the waiting is killin me. I'm ready to get this sucker in.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:44 AM
DanDaMan
1st Gear Member

[sm=insomnia.gif]
Old 03-08-2006, 02:47 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

[sm=bling.gif] lol
Old 03-08-2006, 11:15 PM
akula52

DandaMan, I have a Saleen installed and I did not use the Saleen tune, but instead had Brenspeed update my XCAL-2. If you can go that route, I would. I will post my dyno numbers and the A/F graph when completed. The 24# injectors are just fine per Saleen tech support. Go to the begining of the forum page and go to the Saleen posts. There is one on injectors and it will help you out. It helped me. You can see some of my dumb *** questions on there. Now, I need to just take some new pictures with less picels so I can post them! Good Luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/29574/27AC106542C740F1A5050EB1A98E8F06.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Calling all Saleen SC'd Stangs