Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

strange sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:20 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

Default strange sound when turning

ok....

the last couple of weeks, i've had this strange squeaking sound whenever i turn. mainly this only happens when i'm going around the ramps in our parking garage at work, although i notice it when i pull into the alley at home sometimes too. the parking garage is a perfect place to hear it because #1. it echoes like mad and #2. there are about 4 loops i have to go around before i get to my space.

now this squeaking sound....it's not high pitched...it almost sounds like it could be a belt slipping, or something like that, but i'm almost positive it's not. car sounds fine when driving straight, and sometimes when turning, i don't even hear it at all. but every single morning for the last couple of weeks, when i get to the parking garage at work, without fail i hear this noise.

interesting point: when entering the garage, the ramps are sloped down....and that's when i hear the sound the loudest and the most consistantly. when exiting the garage however, the ramps are uphill....and i almost never hear that squeaking. actually...i never hear it.

does ANYONE, know what this might be? starting to get a little concerned as this seems to be a permanent sound that my car likes to make. it might also be worth noting that i drive 35 miles each morning into work on the freeway - which is pretty much a straight line. i don't hear the squeaking when making left or right hand turns at stop lights/signs, and i don't generally hear it at all unless i'm going downhill....or at least it seems that way.

ok sorry for the long post, but if anyone has ANY idea (other than take it into the shop-lol), i'd love to hear some of your thoughts. thanks!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:10 AM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: strange sound when turning

does the squeak happen constantly on the downhill, or just when you start the downhill? If it's just when you start, check into your suspension, as it soundls like when it extends, it makes the noise. Maybe a strut with a defect or rust on the shaft, or maybe a bushing or the like.
my two cents!
Good Luck!
Old 03-11-2006, 03:02 AM
Mike65

I had a moaning sound when turning too. Not a high pitch but not real low either. It was a very disturbing sound and I only noticed it when making slow speed turns, mostly in parking lots. The sound was definitely coming from the rear end. I took it to the dealer and after about a week of not returning my phone calls they finally called and left a message (grrr) that it was done. They replaced some bearings and a clutch in the differential. I still don't know what happened or what exactly was wrong but I'm still pissed about it. Anyway it doesn't make any noises anymore and it was covered under warrenty. I had about 8k miles on it at the time and now have about 11k. I drive about 35 miles to work on the freeway also.

My advice is to take it to the dealer right away. Hopefully they will treat you better than they did me. Oh and thanks for reminding me, I got a survey in the mail about my warrenty work. I think I'm going to fill it out now.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:07 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

yup, sounds like the sound you were hearing is exactly what i'm hearing. as long as you dont hear the noise anymore, i suppose it was worth it. i'll have to take it in and have it looked at. thanks!
Old 03-12-2006, 09:29 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

There is a TSB out for the limited slip differential making noise when turning.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1019059/...tm.htm#1105212

I had the same sound happen to me, only though, when they put in my FRPP 3.73 gears! The shop that installed them used Redline rear gear fluid. My car would make a squalling sound when you did a sharp right or left turn as you would do in a parking garage or in a parking lot.

I took mine back to the guys that installed the gears and they added one more bottle of friction modifier, and poof, no more squalling sound!! I think the clutches in the rear end are grabbing and chattering and thus the squalling when you turn. One tire spins faster than the other, but instead of free wheeling, it grabs and squalls.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 03-13-2006, 12:50 PM
BMJ06GT

I have the same thing I'll have to get it checked out.