Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2005 GT Stock Charge Motion Plates Question

Old 03-11-2006, 07:54 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Default 2005 GT Stock Charge Motion Plates Question

Need some help with this subject topic.

Its my understanding that the Stock Charge Motion Plates have butterflies in them and that they are controlled by the cars computer.

Now that would be such a bad thing, but its also my understanding that these butter flies dont really begin to open until the engines RPM gets up to about 3000 RPM.

Now thats still not that bad, but because thes butterflies are operating like this very large amounts of carbon are forming within the engine and causing detenation forcing the carbon deposits into the intake.

I sent an email to Diablo Sport asking if they plan to develop software so that the action of the plates could be programmed intio the cars computer by the end user. Waiting for response.

There are three options open to me at this time. 1. Buy new Charge Motion Plates w/o butterflies. 2. Remove the existing plates, then remove the butterflies and reinstall the plates. or 3. Wait to see if Diablo will provide some new software.

I hav about 4000 miles on my GT now, so I dont think it could be that fouled. Man, what a bummer. I thought I was getting close to ending the spending.

Thanks All
John
Old 03-11-2006, 09:46 PM
AWIZRD

Default RE: 2005 GT Stock Charge Motion Plates Question

I was told by the folks that do the mods on my GT that, Yes, the Diablo can "tell" the butterflies to remain in the full open position. I haven't done it yet, but I'm curious on the effects of this change.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:28 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

I've got the predator and have been through all the menus. No sign of anything referring to plate butterfly's.

If this option does exist in the U7140 I sure do wish someone would tell me where its at in the menu.

Can anyone help us out here. Would like to get to the bottom of this issue.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I'd leave them alone. I believe the charge plates help give more low end torque (which our engines need)- But I could be wrong.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:28 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT John
Now thats still not that bad, but because thes butterflies are operating like this very large amounts of carbon are forming within the engine and causing detenation forcing the carbon deposits into the intake.
I'm lost- why would this cause carbon buildup, and why would detonation force anything into the intake?

I always thought 'charge motion plates' were referring to the butterflies? Guess I need to look in the service manual dvd a bit
Old 03-13-2006, 09:43 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

See, that's what I love about the Galaxie man--straight forward questions. I don't get it either.

Ford didn't spend all that time making use of the plates so that it would cause detonation...I mean really, does that even sound plausible? I know Ford can really screw some things up, but detonation is seriously bad. I also don't see how "very large amounts of carbon" would be formed when the SpanishOak processor (that everyone says is so slick) is set up to change the air/fuel delivery under the charge motion plates operating conditions.

GT John, where did you get this information that has you so worried?

Best,
-j

BTW, I think Goldenpony is right about the low end--at least that's what I read.

Old 03-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

Maybe, before you rip them out... you should try to understand what they do and why Ford bothered to put them there.

It would cost a LOT less for Ford to have left them out.

Charge Motion Control Valves improve low-speed combustion

The air-fuel mixture entering an engine behaves differently at different engine speeds and loads. At low engine speeds and light loads, relatively little air-fuel mixture is drawn into the cylinders in a given time period, so it moves relatively slowly through the intake runners and into the cylinders. At high engine speeds, the intake mixture speeds up, as a larger volume passes through the intake runners over the same time period.

One of the challenges involved in squeezing the utmost efficiency out of each drop of fuel is to assure that it mixes thoroughly with air, in the right ratio, before it is burned in the cylinders. This is easiest when the air is moving quickly.

At lower speeds and lighter loads, the new three-valve engine uses an electronically controlled metal flap at the end of each intake runner – eight in all. This Charge Motion Control Valve was specially shaped, through CAD modeling and testing, to speed up the intake charge and induce a tumble effect in the combustion cylinder. This causes the fuel to mix more thoroughly, and to burn quickly and efficiently, with reduced emissions, particularly at idle.

The CMCV flaps are housed in the intake module and controlled by an electric motor.

The CMCVs are controlled by an electronic motor, and open at a predetermined point as engine speed increases. At higher RPM, they do not affect the intake charge at all. This allows undisturbed maximum flow into the combustion chambers at wide-open throttle. The CMCV motor is sound insulated, so its operation remains transparent to vehicle occupants.

Source of this information: http://media.ford.com/article_displa...e_id=13620#rel
Old 03-13-2006, 06:03 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

hey prof-
thanks for the link! I kinda thought that was the idea behind them, and often wondered why some remove...cool thing about reading the details: I think I now understand the drastic jekyll/hyde engine sound shift at 2500 rpm- open intakes and retarded cam timing...had never really thought about it, but its not from a 'magic' muffler

also had no idea the valve covers were magnesium- I think the last magnesium OEM covers I heard of were the 'S' series boss429's(the first 279 had mag, later were aluminum if I recall from reading up on a certain car...had a chance long ago to pick up the 111th built-kk1311- for 8500 bucks and couldnt get a loan at 18 yrs old...stupid banks.)