Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

suspension noob need your expertise!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Default suspension noob need your expertise!

ive got quite of bit of bolt on's for hp gains, but i havent done one thing to the suspension yet which i know i need to do, keep in mind that this is my daily driver and track car, what are some of the first suspension mods i need to look at getting, springs? lca? dont really know much about suspensions so your help is appreciated.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:16 AM
doobs
4th Gear Member

Default RE: suspension noob need your expertise!

If you search around, some companies have suspesion packages for you car. I would first go with new shocks/struts after getting new springs. Then get some bracing to help stiffen.

edit:And you said that you are maybe taking this car to the track. look into some new lower control arms for the rear because our 05/06's are known for wheel hop as many will tell you
Old 03-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

i was actually thinking of buying the complete roush suspension kit for 1400, has anyone heard anything good, bad, neutral about this kit?

EDIT::: My main concern is my wheelhop i want to do away with it so thats what im mainly looking for.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hufen,

I've only heard a few things about the Roush set up, mostly good things from folks actually running it--not just those looking at/thinking about it. However, here's the deal, the Roush kit is a spring/strut/shock/roll-bar package--it does NOT include any different control arms or bushings. This is also true, as far as I know, of the Roush vehicles that you see on the lot (official Roush cars). They're running stock GT suspension arms. The bottom line is that these upgrades are for handling in the corners, not at the drag strip. There's more than one type of "track" performance to build around. Wheel hop on our cars is mainly controlled by moving to stiffer bushings in the control arms, so I don't really think the Roush kit will do anything at all for wheel hop.

If you go with any "kit" out there, you will still want to upgrade the lower control arms (at the very least), especially if drag-strip performance is your main interest. In fact, if this is your main interest (not corner handling), I would do the LCAs before anything else. Also, you mentioned that this will be a dual-duty "street-track" car, so you want to stay away from control arms with spherical joints at both ends (this will transmit a lot of noise to the cabin), and find ones that have at least one end bushed. Take a look at BMR stuff--they are a good no-nonsense drag strip oriented company.

Best,
-j
Old 03-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

thanks a lot, that was the answer i was looking for!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:31 AM
traffic142

i have done mine piecemeal and wish I had gotten a package. I did steeda ultra springs to adjust the awful gap ford gave us. For my 2 cents, most of the reading I have done is if you are going to autocross your car you will need stiffer shocks/strut setups. Probably a good idea when installing your springs. some companies offer a package of springs and struts/shocks. probably you should consider a strut tower brace and for only 60 bucks from BMR, a A arm brace. That should tie is the front. IF you want to go extreme racing, some suggest going with redoing your front a arms as well. MMFF says if you change out your swaybars, do it as a set to keep it balanced (something about adjusting one end and has a detrimental effect on the other end ie: beefing up your front and your rear end breaks free more easily).

If you do the springs, go with a adj. panhard bar (BMR, Steeda) it will re center your car ( mine needed about a 1/2 over after lowering). Keep your drop less than 1.5 inches and your stock caster/camber can still be adjusted.

Drag racing, you got to go with LCA's. There is a school of thought if you lower your car you need to also add a lowering brace to your LCA to compensate for your drop that affected your geometry of the LCA and your rear axel. IF you will see a fair amount of track time, consider also a upper CA for your diff. This can dial in your pinion angle and also support better than the stock one can.

Well, I have rambled on for quite a spell. Hope it helped. It depends on the old saying "How fast can I go....How much do you want to spend!"
Old 03-18-2006, 01:06 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Granatelli Motorsports offers a complete suspension package that they claim pulls 1G on a 200' skidpad. I plan on ordering it for my car.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:48 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Everyone made good points for you. It really all depends on how much power you plan on making. Steeda is a great product for street and MILD drag but I broke the LCA's twice (specifically the eurethane bushings) and the upper control arm is junk. I still have the steeda complete race up front and is great IMO, but I have tested and researched a lot of rear set-ups and my curent one is the best IMO for the track - METCO upper and lower control arms and Q81 springs. The metco upper control arm is literally 3 times the size of everything else out there and the LCA's are about 50% bigger than the what's out there. They use re-inforced eurethane bushings in the front of the control arm and steel/aluminum in the rear of them. My car launches at 5000 rpm and 60 foots at 1.4's - 1.5's and runs straight as an arrow down the track. I still have ll the other steeda rear race parts in the rear and they work fine. It was just the upper and lower control arms and springs that were the weak link.

This set-up will affect your daily driving and I feel obligated to let you know that. My car definitely 'feels' like a race car when street driving for handling and feel but I personally like that and it's a matter of opinion and preferrence. Bear these factors in mind when choosing your set-up.

FYI - Unless your pushing over 450 rwhp - my set-up would be overkill for you...IMO
Old 03-19-2006, 03:17 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Off topic here, but traffic142....let me applaud you for being the first person I've seen to do the black and gold Shelby GT350 look on the new cars. It looks AWESOME[8D]
Old 03-19-2006, 11:13 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Chevykiller, Still #1 Best Responder on MustangForums. Period.

Thanks, mate.