Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

NEW MUSTANG GT

Old 03-17-2006, 05:03 PM
pikeone

Default RE: NEW MUSTANG GT

ORIGINAL: mightyb28

I also recommend fiberglass instead of urethane as the body guys I know say fiberglass is easy to fix and urethane is expensive and fragile.

I don't know how someone could honestly say that urethane is expensive and fragile. First of all, it's FAR more durable than fiberglass. I have a LOT of customers (wholesale/restylers) who refuse to buy fiberglass kits because all you have to do is touch a curb to destroy it. Not only that, the whole part has to be repainted. If urethane was to take a hard hit and crack, the crack can be repaired and the paint touched up. Sure fiberglass can be repaired easily, but only if it's a clean break. Most of the time, it splits into shards. And urethane is not expensive. I deal with a lot of parts made of all materials everyday. Just trying to put out some accurate info. No offense to anyone.

Also, mightyb28 is 100% correct! You always need to check packages for damage before you sign for it and the shipper leaves so you can immediately file a damage claim.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:07 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: pikeone

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

Another BIG factor to look at is the workmanship and quality which I don't think 3D and street scene have.
chevykiller,

I don't know about Street Scene but I'm not quite sure where your opinion of 3dCarbon comes from because their parts are the highest quality high pressure molded urethane you can buy. They don't bust and break like ABS and fiberglass kits do. They look amazing when painted, unlike fiberglass and some ABS kits. The most you can do to hurt these kits, is scratch the paint. Just wanted to back up a pretty good product, though, like I stated above, I don't really care for stick/screw on kits. Also, they happen to be much more affordable than the kits with names that you have to pay for, like Roush.

To each, his own.
The quality of their kits (eurethane) is good, but I was commenting specifically on finishing. Uerethane is a GREAT product and is why most of the top body kits (minus hoods) come in uerethane. However, Uerethane is a Pain in the Butt to paint if it is not finished properly. You won't even notice it until it's painted and cleaned and then you'll see imperfections (bubbles/tears, etc) in the paint. It is VERY important that the parts come properly prepped. The few 3D peices I have seen were great material, but the prep work was lacking. When you buy from Cervinis, the Eurethane parts are completely prepped and ready for paint. And you are right, to each his own and why I suggested he shop around for what HE likes cause everyone has their opinions and the truth is none of the kits are junk or they would be out of business quick. Some are just better than others IMO.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:08 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

I would ONLY buy urethane. Fiberglass kits are junk, typically cheap and usually look nasty after about 1 year of flex. I would especially not want fiberglass on the lower front or sides.

The only bad thing about urethane is if you get a kit that doesn't fit correctly, it is extremely difficult to work that out. If it was fiberglass, they can always work it out. The trick is to only buy a urethane kit from a good source. Cervini's is a great kit. Unfortunately, it doesn't come prepped. It is also one of the greasiest kits I've seen. DEFINITELY worth it though. They send step-by-step directions on how to propperly prep the urethane for the primer and paint. If you don't follow the instructions to the letter.... well I'm sure you know what happens when short cuts are taken... -Joe
Old 03-17-2006, 09:05 PM
pikeone

ORIGINAL: chevykiller

The quality of their kits (eurethane) is good, but I was commenting specifically on finishing. Uerethane is a GREAT product and is why most of the top body kits (minus hoods) come in uerethane. However, Uerethane is a Pain in the Butt to paint if it is not finished properly. You won't even notice it until it's painted and cleaned and then you'll see imperfections (bubbles/tears, etc) in the paint. It is VERY important that the parts come properly prepped. The few 3D peices I have seen were great material, but the prep work was lacking. When you buy from Cervinis, the Eurethane parts are completely prepped and ready for paint. And you are right, to each his own and why I suggested he shop around for what HE likes cause everyone has their opinions and the truth is none of the kits are junk or they would be out of business quick. Some are just better than others IMO.

You're absolutely right about prepping. I know how difficult it is to prep urethane parts. We paint hundreds of them and we make sure we get it right or the parts don't leave the warehouse. The customer shouldn't have to deal with it. For ground effect kits, it's obviously different since you can't really ship painted kits because the paint can easily get damaged in shipping. I would love to be able to sell pre-painted ground effects. The thing about urethane is, yes it is difficult to prep, but it is so worth it! I'm a little spoiled you could say. My painters paint so much urethane, they know what they're doing as opposed to your typical body shop painter that doesn't ever paint urethane.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:09 PM
LAK3RS
2nd Gear Member

So far I just got my windows tinted, (15%) and I am getting my exhaust done this week which might be Bassani X-pipe, and super 40 flowmaster mufflers(not 100% sure). Im waiting on headers though. Im also ordering the ram air hood of of cervinis.com, and probably the side scoops as well. I still need to find a body kit, but i am afraid to kind of mix and match the pieces,and i havent found one i like yet. though i do like the dcf.........after I finish my exterior which will probably be in the next couple of weeks, im headin down to dallasmustang to get it procharged, and dynoed and tuned.