Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Air Intake For 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 03:01 PM
BMJ06GT

Default Air Intake For 06 GT

Wanted to get an Air intake for my 06GT cannot afford tuner yet. Questiion 1- What is a good CAI for my 06GT? Looking towards C&L Question 2 Would putting the CAI on with out tuning injure my engine in any way and/or is it even worth putting the CAI on without tuner? Question 3 What if somebody that lived near me had a tuner would I be able to use theres to tune it for now and order personal tuner later? Any help or suggestions that could be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 03-17-2006, 03:08 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Air Intake For 06 GT

If you do a CAI without a tuner, you will create a potentially dangerously lean condition in the engine due to the stock ECU's limited abilty to adapt. You should wait and purchase the CAI with a tuner. Most tuners will not let you mod multiple vehicles. Once a modified tune is downloaded to a car, it will then look for that tune once it is plugged in again before it will work, so therefore, if you move your bud's tuner to your car without first returning his to stock tune, it will not work on yours.

Bottom Line,
Save that dough and buy both!

Cheers,
Rob
Old 03-17-2006, 03:21 PM
BMJ06GT

Outstanding I aprreciate the quick response. I will save to get both.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:24 PM
TomsEleanor
1st Gear Member

if you want a CAI and no tune, just go with a K&N. you wont get the same gains you get with a C&L and a tune but for what i paid and K&N promises($230, 15+ RWHP) its not bad and you dont have to spend the $300-$400 for a tune you need with most other CAI's. good luck man.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:11 PM
pirate59

Wait and buy a CAI with tuner,I bought an AIRAID because they say no tune.It was a big mistake for me,No tuners in my area couldn't get a tune on line.Gave up and ordered a C&L with SCT,hope it gets here next week.I could not feel any differ. with the AIRAID,they claim 17 HP without tune.Don't know anything about K&N.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:46 AM
Secter
1st Gear Member

I was in the same boat as you. I had my eye on the K&N for a long time, but reading on here, it just isnt worth getting a CAI without a tune. Save you some extra cash and get the C&L + Tune from brenspeed. I am ordering mine this weekend because I got my tax return yesterday
Old 03-18-2006, 12:39 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Just got a JLT II CAI from Evolution Performance with SCT XCal2 Tuner. Got it with the 93 octane tune and the 100 octane tune for the track.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:20 PM
BMJ06GT

I appreciate everyones input. I just sold my house so I have a little extra cash laying around. I was looking into the JLT Cai w/ the SCT tuner package for $555.00. No I am by no means a mechanic I was able to change axle back mufflers out and I am sure that I am competant enough to install the CAI but my question is how difficult is the tuning? Please let me know I am sure there is info on this very site about it. Also will this totally negate my current warranty with Ford?
Old 03-18-2006, 03:47 PM
bcc333
1st Gear Member

I installed K&N Air Charger 632565 - K&N Aircharger Intake Kit - For 05-06 Mustang GT - Options: = $235.95
from stangsuspension.com http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...namicIndex.asp.

before u ask...the heavy duty aluminum foil reflects more heat.

the one thing i would change is the oil from the filter leaks down on the inside of the gasket where it attaches to the flange (W adapter # 452) and as a results the worm screw must be really tight. Next time i would wash the inside of the rubber gasket on the filter and then clean with alcohol, dry thoroughly with something lint free and also clean the flange. once thoroughly dry it will probably take 1 1/2hr to put on if u r slow.

i left the neg battery cable off for two hrs per K&N's suggestion (to allow the PCM? to reset the air fuel ratio) and when i replaced the battery cable the 2005 4.6L started and ran without difficulty.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31840/B131D75B66A24244AC8CF08598B7336C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-18-2006, 04:10 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

I have the C&L with a Predator tune.
The install is easy, and the tune is even more so.
I am not mechanically inclined, so if I can do it, I'm sure you will have no problem.
The install took maybe a half an hour.
The tune takes 15-20 minutes the first time, mostly because of familiarizing yourself with the procedure.

Not intending to offend you, but I have to say, that foil looks terrible.
There must be a better way to accomplish your goal.
Also, there shouldn't be any oil drip from your filter.
Sounds like it is over-oiled.
Go to a gas station, take of the filter, and use the air hose to blow off the excess.

Quick Reply: Air Intake For 06 GT