Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

thinking of taking the plunge to s/c .. need advice with my setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 12:29 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Default thinking of taking the plunge to s/c .. need advice with my setup

ive been doing a lot of research lately and in the near future may go ahead and take the plunge on an s/c.. anyways im contemplating between saleen, roush, kb, and vortech.. but more then likely its between saleen and vortech unless someone has good reason here not to. this is my street car and im by no means looking to make this a 10 second car i just want some added boost mainly. ive heard concerns of crap tunes that come with some kits and im not worried i have access to a tuner and hes pretty good here in houston so that isnt a problem. with all of that being said mainly and this a street car more than track what would you suggest? also im alittle concerned about the internals, "see below for my current mods" if i throw an sc on here now can i make it stay under that 450 rwhp mark you think because i want to stay safe and dont want to change the internals out yet? and lastly do after market cold air intakes work on s/c'd applications or do you have to go back to stock?

chris.

05 Manual Black Gt fully loaded
4.10 frpp gears
Jlt II cai
X-cal II 93 octane custom dyno tune
steeda udp
jba silver ceramic coated L/T headers
jba h pipe with high flow cats
flowmaster
steeda tri-ax short throw shifter
steeda g-trac brace
steeda adjustable panhard bar
steeda sport springs
steeda lower control arms
tokico D-spec shocks and struts
MT ET Streets
Old 03-19-2006, 12:45 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: thinking of taking the plunge to s/c .. need advice with my setup

I'm going with the Saleen blower. My car is stock right now. I'm putting the following in with the charger: 39lb injectors, JDM CAI, JDM tuned SCT, and MAF converter. That setup will put me right around 410-425rwhp. And that will be on just 4 psi boost. If you are looking for max hp while staying well under safe perameters for your stock engine....then you won't go wrong with the Saleen. The vortech kit will probably cost you less $$$ for the same power output, but I'm not as familiar with it. I believe you'll have to run a bit more boost to make that hp number than what you have to with the Saleen. And I'm also not sure of other s/c kits, but I know you can run just about any cold air intake with the Saleen, no prob.

BTW, what are you putting down at the wheels hp wise right now? If you're already over 350-370 rwhp....then there's no point to doing a s/c if you want to stay on stock internals. You'd be wasting your money for a charger setup that adds less than 100hp IMO. You'd be better off doing some engine mods and seeing how high you can go staying completely NA. Then, maybe later if you still want more power......you could do a s/c and not worry about breaking your engine by going well over what is considered safe limits for the 4.6 3V.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

i havent had it dynoed tuned since i put the long tube headers on.. but if i get the gain that people tell me i should get with a custom tune then in theory i should be around 325ish rwhp, you think if i dyno around 325ish it would be safe to throw a saleen on it? im really leaning towards saleen right now i love the design and small efficent boost.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:02 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hufenstang

i havent had it dynoed tuned since i put the long tube headers on.. but if i get the gain that people tell me i should get with a custom tune then in theory i should be around 325ish rwhp, you think if i dyno around 325ish it would be safe to throw a saleen on it? im really leaning towards saleen right now i love the design and small efficent boost.
If you're around 325.....then I say put the Saleen in. You could probably even stick with the stock Saleen tune (though I'd would recommend getting an aftemarket tune) and it should make an easy extra 100 ponies under the hood on just the stock 4 lb pulley. If you want a bit more power, the injectors might be a good idea as well. If you're still on stock internals then I'd set the safe limits at about 435 to 440rwhp. With the above setup you should stay under that. And the 4psi boost is definitely well within the handling limits of your engine. Very engine friendly.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

awesome! like roush, do you have to send the pcm into saleen to get it reflashed? yea i would probably go with the #39 injectors maybe even a tune from jdm i will have to call them. this may be a dumb question but what all do you have to change when you want to upgrade internals to push more hp? im not even sure..
Old 03-19-2006, 01:14 AM
GTRacing
1st Gear Member

I have the Roush s/c. What tuner do you use in Houston?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:18 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

awesome! like roush, do you have to send the pcm into saleen to get it reflashed? yea i would probably go with the #39 injectors maybe even a tune from jdm i will have to call them. this may be a dumb question but what all do you have to change when you want to upgrade internals to push more hp? im not even sure..
Yea, if you want the stock Saleen tune then you have to send Saleen your PCM for reflash, yea. I didn't want to do that, so I went with a SCT tuner from JDM. They've got alot of experience under their belts with tuning these saleen blowers to our cars.
As for upgrading internals....well, guess it depends on how high you are gonna go with power adders. The weakest link in our engines seems to be the rods. So, I say at the very least some high strength rods are in order. Forged pistons and crankshaft would be next on my list if I were going up to and beyond 500rwhp. Also, and alot of ppl don't mention this..........get a higher strength aluminum driveshaft if you're gonna be doing any hard launches when you get above 420rwhp.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:18 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

pat at psi motorsports was the only one i could find working with sct, not really in houston but close right in friendswood.. how do you like the roush, would you recommend it?
Old 03-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ThisBlood147

If you're around 325.....then I say put the Saleen in. You could probably even stick with the stock Saleen tune (though I'd would recommend getting an aftemarket tune) and it should make an easy extra 100 ponies under the hood on just the stock 4 lb pulley. If you want a bit more power, the injectors might be a good idea as well. If you're still on stock internals then I'd set the safe limits at about 435 to 440rwhp. With the above setup you should stay under that. And the 4psi boost is definitely well within the handling limits of your engine. Very engine friendly.

actually, the mods he has improve airflow through the engine, so it is actually safer to get more power out of the motor due to less stress and better efficiency...this does not mean its really any safer to run more boost, but does mean he'll get more power out of less boost meaning he can take it that extra 30-40hp over the "limit" that a stock car would have, at least by the reasoning (which i dont agree with, but still) that has been presented here.

also, DO NOT stick with the stock saleen tune, EVEN MORE SO because of the headers and intake...because it will run even leaner and be even more unsafe. either way, if you can afford the whole blower package, you can more than afford to get that custom dyno tuned to handle the boost.

if he's on stock internals, DO NOT set a "safe rwhp limit" number...run the 4 or 8psi, and have it tuned so that a/f is safe (11.5-12.0:1) and the timing is retarded enough to be safe (probly 17-21degrees). whatever power that makes is the power that makes. and not to jump the gun, but for yourself, do not expect 415rwhp off of 4psi if you do not have P/P heads and some serious cams matched to your blower because its honestly not going get 100+rwhp off 4psi alone.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:24 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

thanks sleeper thats good info, i dont plan on getting the saleen tune unless i just have to.. i just need my car to be driveable for about 40 miles so i can go and get the custom dyno tune haha, as for it less stress on the motor this is what i figured and thought i could probably safely be in the 440ish rwph range because of my exhaust setup ect, but wasnt sure how the saleen responded to the improved air flow and if it responded very well to headers and gave a gain or a loss in hp ive never really looked into it until recently.

Quick Reply: thinking of taking the plunge to s/c .. need advice with my setup