Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

?tire size type??TIRE PRESSURE

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ?tire size type??TIRE PRESSURE

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

After a ride today I was just thinking. It's not a bad idea to run with a few extra pounds if you live in a pot hole prone city. Rims and tires aren't cheap!
That depends on how you look at it. Higher tire pressure will transmit more force to the suspension and potentially damage those suspension components (not to mention jar your teeth out). With lower tire pressure, the tire will absorb more of the impact to the point of damage to the tire and or wheel. Either way you're right, rims, tires, shocks, struts, alignments, etc aren't cheap...
Old 03-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

True. Luckily I have never ruined anything that way in my life, but I see it on cars in the shop on a weekly bases.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:35 PM
AshTang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stoenr

After a ride today I was just thinking. It's not a bad idea to run with a few extra pounds if you live in a pot hole prone city. Rims and tires aren't cheap!

I was just talking to a guy at work on Thrursday about something he saw on the number of new potholes in Chicago's streets everyday. I was thinking he said they said like 2800 per day or something like that.

Shawn
Old 03-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Yeah, Im in the suburbs and its bad. Im on a side street and its not that old and is littered with pot holes right out of my driveway. None bad enough to damage a tire/wheel or suspension, but annoying none the less. Also all the loose garbage I hear smacking my wheel wells and Im sure the rear lower portion of the quarter panel when I drive down the street.

Sticky tires are part to blame, my winter beater with skinny snows doesnt pull any of the ashphalt into the wheel wells.

Sorry, got off topic
Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 AM
HazardSports
2nd Gear Member

Stoenr
I noticed that youquoted meintending to disagree but your recommendation is consistent with mine
I said :
I would probably be in the 36psi vicinity and tune it up or down from that point.
You stated:
35 to 38 F/R for the sizes you mentioned. And dont go with a 285/35/18.
LOOKS TO BE THE SAME TO ME!

I also mentioned the higher tire pressure I RUN was due to the fact that I like to slide the car sideways alot, (check drifting link below).If you hit an imperfection in the road while sideways and only running 32psi, the sidewall will roll inward and you will rip the tire off of the wheel, (I've done it twice). I also get metterMPG athigher pressures, (less rolling friction).So drifting and MPGwould betwo more reasons you can add to
No reason unless you are hauling a max load in the car, or want to sacrafice traction.
Vidgomd, that's thegreat thing about these forums - you get many different opinions from a gruop of guys with similar interest and different perspectives. Gives you a good base too decide what's right for you.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:12 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

I was agreeing on the # you mentioned yes. But I disagreed by going by the rating on the tire. Thats only the tires MAX pressure.