Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Mustang GT here!! Got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 04:23 AM
Sn00ganS1337
1st Gear Member

Default New Mustang GT here!! Got some questions

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and new to stangs in general. Just sold my 1997 M3 and am gettin my 2006 GT in a month or so and I have a number of questions. Firstly, what are some aftermarket wheels that you guys suggest and where to get them? Next, what performance mods are the best bang for the buck and what's the most reputable company to get them from. Third, what do you guys suggest right off the bat for shocks and springs? Is it a bad idea to do lowering springs without the shocks (the car is pretty high stock from the factory)? Lastly, what modifications are you allowed to do under warranty? Thanks in advance guys and I'm excited to be gettin my mustang.

James
Old 03-22-2006, 07:54 AM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New Mustang GT here!! Got some questions

Depending on what you want to do.

Exhaust: The consensus is that an X-pipe (mid pipe) will give you a more exotic sound... but it may be a little raspy). The H-Pipes and Pro-Chambers give you a deeper growl more like the muscle car sound. The stock exhaust flows pretty well from the fatory, but I plan on getting a Pro-Chamber with High Flow cats in order to get a little more volume and growl. I also think that no restriction may be bad for the torque. So you can go Off-Road for the loadest sound but you may lose some TQ. And being that your from the other side of the water when it comes to cars (Imports) torque is something that you may not have had a lot of in the others. And TQ is what gets you down up to the power band where the HP kicks in. Flowmaster American Thunders and Magnaflows are deeper and more muscle car like where as the Bassani and others like them are more of an exotic sound again. SLP Loudmouths are basically straight pipes and could be too loud for some to deal with on a daily driver, but the ones that have them swear by them.

Tuners: It really boils down to two camps... Diablo or SCT. I prefer the SCT. All of my local tuners like it as well. But either way, just retuning the car has some great HP / TQ benefits as well as MPG. A canned tune is better than stock and a custom dyno tune is even better. THey can pull anywhere from 15 to 25 HP / TQ outta the car. Ther tuners also allow you to compensate for any mods you may add later. So first thing would be the tuner.

CAI: C&L (Pricey but really nice), JLT (Won the battle of the CAI's i the mag a few months ago). Several other as well... K&N, MAC, BMR, BBK and more...
Base your purchase on asthetics, sound, performance and price. This would be my second purchase after the tuner.

Handling: Eibach, Steeda, Ford Racing, Tokico, BMR. Lowering springs and Struts / Dampers to smooth out the ride. A panhard bbar for centering the rear end and keeping it in place on hard corners. Beefed up sway bars front and rear. Upper and lower control arms... You can go crazy. It all depends on whether this is going to the drag strip, a road course or just the twisties around your area.

Wheels / Tires: For speed... 18" or less. For looks... 19" or 20". The look depends on the wheel. Some look great with 20's while others look a bit too bling bling. Tires, are again, your preference. your can go matching for front and rear or staggered. Up to 11" wide in the rear with the proper offset but this gets real expensive. Most offer up to 10" for the rear and 9" for the front. 275/40/18-19-20 is about the widest you can go up front. While some are running up to 335's on the rear. Normally they are using 275, 285 or 295's in the rear. For the matchiung most agree that either 255' or 275's all round look good. The offset your looking for should be around (Approx) +34 to +36 front and +40 to +45 in the rear. There is some room for play here depending on the wheel and how it is cut. You really don't want the wheel coming out beyond the well though.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:05 AM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

I have been into the dealer for several things since the mods have been in place. I had the rear end replaced due to the backlash not being set right from the factory (The whine weas incredible). They even recentered the rear end for me after I had dropped the car. I also took it to them for a front end alignment after dropping the car. I recently had it at the dealer for my yearly inspection with all my mods installed. Not a single issues with them at all. But the car did generate a lot of interest from mechanics, sales people and customers!

Unless the mods are directly responsible for the failure then you should have no issues.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:06 AM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

Oh Yeah! Welcome to the "Dark" side!
Old 03-22-2006, 08:07 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

oh and you have to get 4.10 gears
Old 03-22-2006, 11:05 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

You post this same advice in every thread about what mods someone should do. While the 4.10's are a good gear they are not the end all gear and they shouldn't be used in all situations. Depending on what people have planned for the future 4.10's might be a waste of money.