Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Some '06 Mustang Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:15 PM
musicguy75070

Default Some '06 Mustang Questions

Hello everyone!

I do not own a Mustang GT yet; howver, I am seriously looking at getting one. Before I do, I have some questions and would appeciate any input or advice you all may have. My question is this...Is the Mustang GT a good drivers car? In other words, is it the type of vehicle that you would want to find a twisty road and drive it hard leaving you with the biggest grin and wow feeling?

I realize that I may have started a fire storm by asking this question and I apologize, in advance, if I have offended anyone. I ask because my experience to date has been with mostly German automibles specifically VW turbo and BMW cars. I have never owned an american made vehicle with a V-8 engine; however, there is something about the Mustang that I find very appealling.

My usage would also involve some track time and local racing events. I do not plan on drag racing the car and would not set it up for that. If the stack suspension is not suitable (and most are not), what modifcations do you all recommend?

Thank you in advance for any assistance and opinions you all may have.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:03 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Some '06 Mustang Questions

Since I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions regarding how to upgrade your suspension (for track use, I think you'll definitely want to do this), I'll chime in with what I know of comparing the types of cars your considering.

My wife has an Audi A4--legendary for its Quattro all-wheel drive. That thing is a dream to drive, esp. if you've never driven something so well balanced and designed. The A4 has fully independent suspension, and despite what all the hype says about how well designed our 3-link is, it's still a solid axle--there is NO comparison to a German engineered IRS. The A4 takes road anomalies much more smoothly and with far more grace than my Mustang. Both have firm rides, but the Mustang is bit harsher than the Audi. In terms of brute handling grip, I find them tied, although I find I'm more inclined to push the Mustang to a further limit if conditions are smooth. Taking an aggressivce turn on rough surfaces, the Mustang's rear will hop on a bump but immediately regain grip (quite astonishing) and continue on its merry way. The Audi hardly lets you know you hit that same bump...and it continues on its merry way.

I have a litmus test on the local highway--an exit ramp that s-curves on a steep incline and then s-curves on the decline (like going up a hill on a curve and coming off that hill on another curve). This ramp also has a couple of large-ish bumps in it (construction segments), and is enclosed in concrete walls (so you better bring your steel, because failure is not an option). Since it's off a highway, I can easily hit it doing 40-50, and if you find the sweet spot, it's like butter. If you miss that spot, the cars let you know. Both the A4 and the Mustang can do it at 50, no problem, but the bumps in the ramp make the Mustang feel less confident...however, hitting the ramp itself off the sweet spot makes the A4 feel less confident at 50.

The Mustang is just a much meaner machine. It's less refined and sophisticated than the A4, but it likes it that way. You lean into the curve and it feels like it wants more--gradual but aggressive. Then there's the power--the A4 is spiffy, quick and agile, it's great in the city's traffic flow. But the Mustang is just beastly by comparison--when you wake up 100+ more ponies than the A4 has, there's nothing "spiffy" about it--and that's a beautiful thing. That makes coming off of that exit ramp more enjoyable than the A4. Final word: under normal driving I find the A4 more inspiring (smaller, lighter, more agile FEEL), but under spirited driving I find the Mustang is surprisingly agile, just as capable on smooth surfaces, and simply overpowers the A4. Confidence is restored (and perhaps equalized) when you push the Mustang, while it is sobered when you push the A4.

Hope that helps--sorry this was so long.
Best,
-j
Old 03-24-2006, 01:17 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Jeez, Philo.
You should sen that one in to Road & Track or Car & Driver or one of the other "&" mags out there. Very nice write-up!
Old 03-24-2006, 01:58 PM
CarsandCigars
1st Gear Member

Hey Scooter80: Not to be a thread hijacker, but I also have a Tungsten GT and am looking at the plenum cover from Midwest. Did you order it painted to match the body color or is that the stock silver they sell? Also, did you have them paint the black accent items, i.e. the "GT" and the fins? If so, what was the total price for the cover.

Thanks in advance.

In response to Phil..............very well done. I had an Audi TT (225hp) and an Allroad. You nailed it. The only other thing I would add is the Audi had great top end speed and stability, IMO it lacked low end torque. Don't get me wrong, it was quick but lacked the brute force of a V8. Really it's the difference between a turbo and a 8.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Rouier
1st Gear Member

you have a mustang, allroad and TT? haha... you're my hero.. what do you do for work?
Old 03-24-2006, 04:28 PM
LarryS
2nd Gear Member

If you decide on buying one be sure to drive it over some bumps and check for the notorious clunk. I and several had said they have it. It's very noticeable and only takes a small bump to hear. Sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:13 PM
CarsandCigars
1st Gear Member

I HAD the TT & Allroad. I have a tendency to buy and sell cars, quickly. Not the Mustang, it's a keeper. My father passed on his 1967 to me a couple of years ago and I plan on passing down the 67 and the 06 to my boys. Only one problem, I have three boys. Guess I need anothing Mustang. hhmmmm.... maybe a 1969 Mach 1 SCJ.[8D]
Old 03-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

HOT POST.
Looking for a father with a 1969 Mach 1.

Very loyal son-to-be is searching for the right father who will eventually croak and pass on to him a mint 1969 Mach 1 SCJ.

Hahahah....Must be nice!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:30 PM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

What the hell Philostang.......Your supposed to drink beer and belch loudly with the rest of us, not write editorials. [:@]

JK....nice write-up.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:57 PM
musicguy75070

Thank you all for the advice. I appreciate the help and look forward to owning a GT very soon.

Quick Reply: Some '06 Mustang Questions