Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Header Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:58 AM
2006gtstick
1st Gear Member

Default Header Advice

I know I'm gonna get slammed for asking stupid questions but here we go anyways. I have a 06 GT 5-speed with the C&L Street CAI/SCT2 with Brenspeed 93 tune. I plan on buying some headers shortly but I can't decide on shorty or long tube headers. From what I have read long tubes produce more HP and TQ but is it necessary to also change to an aftermarket H or X pipe? Are the headers fairly easy to install on a 06 GT? My only reason for wanting headers is to increase HP and TQ do you guys/gals think headers are worth the money? Thanks
Old 03-25-2006, 01:36 AM
andyman
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Header Advice

tomorrow i will post pics of the stock midpipe after i cut it. you don't HAVE to buy a new one, but if you want catalytic converters on your car you will have to.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:51 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hey, that doesn't sound like a stupid question to me.

Some magazine posted a dyno test of like 4 or 5 different shorty headers--the results showed how well designed the stock system comes from Detroit. The most increase reported was a measly 5 hp, most were only 3-4 hp...for the amount you spend on them, I don't think it's worth it. Long tubes are whole different story, but I'm guessing you'll likely need a custom tune to get the most out of them.

Best,
-j
Old 03-25-2006, 02:01 AM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006gtstick

Are the headers fairly easy to install on a 06 GT? My only reason for wanting headers is to increase HP and TQ do you guys/gals think headers are worth the money? Thanks
My LT headers came in the mail today, I'm installing them tuesday (along with xpipe and high flow cats), I'll tell you on wednesday how hard it is to install. I'm just an ordinary-joe backyard mechanic, have only done routine maintenance on my vehicles, basic engine replacement parts, the furthest I've delved into an engine is replacing rocker arms, and a carb rebuild once, so if it's easy for me, it should be easy for anyone with experience like me.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

What kind of fabrication is needed to be done to the mid-pipe if one gets LT headers? I've got Pypes Off-road H-pipes, and granted they are catless but they are still the same size and bends as the stock pipe... So does the pipe need to be cut?
Old 03-25-2006, 10:28 PM
2006gtstick
1st Gear Member

I've done some more reading since my first post on this subject and I have definitely decided to go with the long-tube headers due to better HP and TQ gains. Now, my question is will the long-tubes headers mount to my stock exhaust system without changing the mid-pipe? How difficult is it to install headers on a 06 GT? Thanks,
Old 03-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006gtstick

I've done some more reading since my first post on this subject and I have definitely decided to go with the long-tube headers due to better HP and TQ gains. Now, my question is will the long-tubes headers mount to my stock exhaust system without changing the mid-pipe? How difficult is it to install headers on a 06 GT?

Yes, you need to change/mod the mid-pipe (I think :P)

As i said up there, I'll tell you the difficulty tuesday night (assuming the misses lets me work on my toy on tuesday)
Old 03-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

Im waiting with baited breath. What kind did you install, and where did you get the high flow cats, and will you still be emission legal? In NC it is "illegal" to change the mounting location of thecats. I dont know why, but it seems this is a must when you install longtubes. Look forward to hearing how it all goes.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lucy2005

Im waiting with baited breath. What kind did you install, and where did you get the high flow cats, and will you still be emission legal? In NC it is "illegal" to change the mounting location of thecats. I dont know why, but it seems this is a must when you install longtubes. Look forward to hearing how it all goes.

They were finally delivered to my door this afternoon, I'll be installing them tomorrow.

SLP Long Tubes with SLP Xpipe and highflow cats, all from LMperformance, though I think you can actually order straight from SLP for the same price.

I live in Alberta, Canada, no emmisions crap here, we make our money off of pollution (Oil Sands). It might be illegal to change the cats, I've never looked it up, but the city police here don't bug you with inconsequential stuff like that, they just give you your speeding ticket and hurry on to the next guy.

As for the quality of the headers, it seems quite good, though I've never seen headers up close and personal before. All the welds look good and solid. The X-pipe kind of sucks, the welds are nearly as tidy, and one exhaust end was slightly bent. The cat's themselves look pretty generic.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:58 PM
blackhorse05
I ♥ Acer

i installed my headers myself last friday night, it was the most irritating thing ive done, i will never do it again, but i will give you a tip i discovered. on the passenger side, take out the batterey and the battery box, and the manifold will be able to come out the top, and the header will drop right in, on the passenger side take out the intake, the whole intake, and you might have to hassle with it but the manifold will just barely make it iut the top and the header will fit back in, you might have to raise the motor a inch, but trust me guys, it a hell of a lot easier, and you wont have to mess with the stering colum.

as for me i went with shortys mainly because i was already running a o/r set. so i cgained 10 hp of the shortys, which was mainly because i dont have cats, im happy with it, i have the mac shortys to mac o/r(which is almost a l/t) to borla cat back, the soun is amazing. if you all need any help let me know

Quick Reply: Header Advice