Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brand new '06 GT knocking ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 02:14 AM
jzinn

Default Brand new '06 GT knocking ????

I have a 2006 GT manual trans with about 300 miles on it. At idle it has a fairly pronounced knock. The best way to describe it is that it sounds like the worlds wimpiest deisel...almost like a sticky lifter back in the days when we had lifters. It is much more noticeable under the engine than above. I drove over to the dealership and had them fire up a similarly prepared vehicle to try and determine if it was inherent in the new engine design (my dad has an 06 auto -- no noise on his), i thought that i could barely detect it on that car, but no where near as noisey as mine. With that in mind, I have 2 quetions.

1. Anybody have a similar experience, did you have it looked at or look at it yourself, and what was determined to be the source?

2. If this ends up being a rod knock, is anybody familiar with the law regarding something like this? I don't have any interest having them replace on engine, or even crack it open, with so few miles.. that is not why I bought a new car...

We all know how this goes... once you open an engine up it's never the same again.

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions.

(Also, Hi... I'm a new guy.. happy to be here!)

JZ
Old 03-26-2006, 10:49 AM
gregt909
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Brand new '06 GT knocking ????

I have a new '06 5 spd. as well and I have never noticed a knock at all. I have about 1100 miles on mine. Could it be a lifter tick? Either way I agree with you. I wouldn't want Ford messing around replacing engine parts on a new car. I would want a replacement. Unfortunately I don't think the law will help you with this unless the dealer is unable to fix it in a reasonable time. Maybe your dealer will work with you being that you only have a couple hundred miles. Good Luck and welcome!
Old 03-26-2006, 03:34 PM
jzinn

Thanks... My gut said lifter too, but it's overhead cam, right? no lifters? I'm going to throw it up on the rack at work on monday and see if i can't at least isolate the location.

Thanks again.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:34 PM
loadedpony

Its probably piston slap. Mine had it bad too. Listened to a bunch of mustangs. They all seem to do it to some extent. Anyway, I got a ford rep to look at it and he got me a new engine. They replace the whole thing (long block), and i have had absolutely no problems since.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:45 PM
jzinn

loadedpony - how long was it in for the engine replacement? That's my biggest problem at this point, I've got 4 kids and all of them play sports, take guitar lessons, etc., not having a car for even a day makes daily life a nighmare.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:46 PM
jzinn

also, when you say "ford rep", is this somebody other than the service writers/mechanics? should i be seaking out somebody other than the dudes in the service dept?
Old 03-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Give it a couple thousand miles. See if the noise goes away. It might once it's broken in somewhat.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:44 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Hello Jzinn
Glad to see you over here, this is a better forum, the guys here know their stuff [sm=hail.gif]

I have 15k on my 05GT and I have the same noise as Jzinn only at idle and it comes and goes,
and it's the exact same noise as Jzinn describes, and my car is an auto
Old 03-27-2006, 03:49 PM
osfan82

I got my 06 GT back in January and had the same knocking sound. It seemed to be really bad if it sat for a week and was cold out, but quieted down after it warmed up. I asked around and took it to the dealership and everyone said the same thing... it's becasue it uses hydraulic lifters and nothing was really wrong with it. I decided to give it a few months to see how it acted after it got broke in and got a little warmer out. It seemed to go away after it crossed the 1000 mile mark... I'm still keeping an eye (ear) on it though.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:24 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Overhead cams still use hyd. lifters. They are tiny little things that sit in the rocker arm cup. Get a Mechanics stethoscope and put it too your valve cover. You will be blown away by the sounds you hear through one of these. If it is a lifter you will be able to tell exactly what cylinder. There should be no noise. A lifter not priming can eventually cause rocker arm and valve tappet damage. It creates a good bit of slop in the valve train. It is really not uncommon for a lifter not to prime. Just be persistent about it not being right. If you are not they WILL drag it out until the warranty expires. Good luck

Quick Reply: Brand new '06 GT knocking ????