Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Compucar Bottle in a bag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 05:49 PM
06VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Default Compucar Bottle in a bag?

Has anyone on here used a Compucar bottle in a bag DRY kit on their car yet? I have one that I used on an old 5.0 and had it laying around and thought what a great way to throw some extra ponies at the 06' for next to nothing. On the instructions that came with the kit it says to install before the mass air in the 5.0 cars, but I had this same kit on a 2002 Lightning and I installed after the air meter. Any ideas? Just want a small 40 to 60hp shot. I think maybe using 100 octane gas and backing the timing out a little would be safe for this small a shot.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:32 PM
06VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Compucar Bottle in a bag?

Anyone tried this?
Old 03-29-2006, 02:43 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

http://www.compucarnitrous.com/TEST/kits/hidden10lb.htm
Here is a link sounds cool
Old 03-29-2006, 03:31 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

It says to install before the mass air meter so the computer will read it and compensate with added fuel. I think that's how this system works unless you add a booster pump. If it is after the mass air meter then you would run lean on the spray and probably not see much horsepower increase. The power comes from the added fuel you can burn not the nitrous itself.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:30 PM
06VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

OMG are you kidding? Nitrous burns hotter in the combustion chamber that is why it makes more power. I'll ask my tuner.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:15 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

Dude. Don't mess with nitrous. You don't know what you are talking about. The reason you increase horsepower with nitrous is because it is 1/3 pure oxygen. More pure oxygen the more gasoline you can add with it to burn clean. Look it up on google. There are plenty of columns explaining how nitrous works. Also if you look nitrous is classified as a non-flammable gas. How does a non-flammable gas increase horsepower? It doesn't the added gas you can burn does. Your lucky you didn't fry your lightning putting that system after the MAF. With a larger shot you definitely would have.. Make sure you let a qualified person do your mods in the future or your new stang will be toast in no time.

Read this page.
Especially the section that say "what nitrous is and what nitrous isn't".
http://www.mpsracing.com/products/NOS/no01zf.htm
Old 03-30-2006, 04:59 PM
06VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

In my statement I said it burns hotter in the chamber and that is true. The only reason Nitrogen is with the oxygen is because it's a cooling agent to keep the mixture safe. If one could inject straight oxygen into an engine without blowing it that would be best, but you can't without catastrophic failure. Oxygen burns hotter that is a fact!

But, OK OK Ok you know more than I do about it. Thanks for trying to put me in my place and let me know how dumb I am about how nitrous works and what it consists of. I feel better. I have had this same kit on a 93LX 5.0, an 88LX 5.0 coupe, an 89LX 5.0 coupe, a 2001 GT, and the Lightning too. Guess what no blown engines and over 100 bottles blown through the cars combined at least. I asked a question and got ridiculed about how I don't know anything about it. Thanks! Oh yeah I also had a plate kit on my 87LX that ran 10.08 @ 135.

My lightning was tuned on the dyno @ Bristol by Willie Figeroa if you have ever heard of him. It made 497hp and 535ft. lbs. with the 60 shot and a 6lb lower pulley.

Why did I even bother to ask? The only reason I did was because the instructions say one thing, but they were written back in 1991 when a mustangs computer management was a little different.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:25 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

What Nitrous Oxide Is and What Nitrous Oxide Isn't
To your engine, nitrous oxide is a more convenient form of normal air. Since we are only interested in the oxygen the air contains, nitrous oxide provides a simple tool for manipulating how much oxygen will be present when you add additional fuel in an attempt to release more power. The power always comes from the fuel source. Nitrous oxide is not a fuel. Nitrous oxide is a convenient way to add the additional oxygen required to burn more fuel. If you add only nitrous oxide and do not add additional fuel, you would just speed up the rate at which your engine is burning the fuel that it normally uses.

This, more often than not, it leads to destructive detonation.

^^^^^ An exact quote from the link I sent you. Just trying to keep you from destroying a motor. If you were running too rich originally I guess you might see gains from the fuel you weren't burning due to not enough oxygen. I'll shut up. I was trying to protect your motor. Have fun with it.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:33 PM
06VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Thanks! I'm not inexperienced with it though and I hate someone putting me down and speaking down to me. Maybe my wording was confusing, but I'm aware of how it works, what it does, and what you can reap from it's use. I'm asking about where to put it in the intake tract. I DO NOT know that much about the Spanish Oak and that's why I asked.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:38 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

Cool man. I'm not trying to be a d*ck. Guess it came off that way. If you have an aftermarket intake maybe you could tap into the boot where the filter mounts to the intake tube. That would put it in front of the MAF and should tell the computer to up the fuel. It might freak it out though. The Spanish Oak is highley tempermental. [sm=lildevil.gif]