Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rear Control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 09:08 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Control arms?

+1 for Metco. If Justin Burcham uses them... -Joe
Old 03-31-2006, 02:44 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Rear Control arms?

Hi Lucy,

I looked at a few of the popular suspension brands and went with Steeda. The reason is that Steeda has a similar focus as I do, road racing and street handling performance. Steeda primarily makes suspension upgrades that are designed for road racing, not drag racing. While road racing is where Steeda is focused a lot of the parts are usefull for drag racers as well. Another reason I like the Steeda suspension component line is that Steeda has actually designed their suspension parts with sound suspension engineering thinking. I have some background and experience in race and high performance street suspension design and fabrication for German performance cars. So when I look at the Steeda suspension line and compare it to everybody else I see that Steeda is the ONLY suspension maker that has a complete suspension solution that you can literally buy, bolt on and transform your car into a race car for the street. No other suspension maker even comes close to Steeda's complete line of core suspension components and geometry correcting suspension components. The one piece that Steeda's catalog lacks is a bracket to correct the rear LCA suspension geometry problems created by lowering the S197 chassi with shorter springs. But they actuall designed and produced prototypes but though nobody would buy them! So no big deal, I just bought the BMR part for that particular issue. Steeda's part quality is excellent and very durably finished. It takes guts to sell a zinc plated part as ALL of your fabrication flaws will show through. Powder coated parts hide all kinds of nasty fabrication issues, trust me this is the reason why almost every other suspension maker powder coats their parts.

Steeda has a part to solve almost every suspension issue the S197 chassis will have when used as a more sporting vehicle for road racing, open road, track days, SOLO and autocross. Trust me on this, I have almost every one of them installed and they all work as they should to correct and improve the S197 chassis geometry, handling and grip. So obviously I'm partial to Steeda but for an adjustable Panhard bar, the Panhard bar support brace, LCA's UCA and most of the rear end suspension parts BMR is a close second in my opinion. But because BMR is drag oriented they do not offer as full a line as Steeda so consider carefully when making selections on control arms from BMR. For a street car you probably do not want to have any solid rod ends or heim joints in your suspension if you can help it. They make noise and have bad NHV characteristics that are not good for a street car. Steeda has more options here than BMR does but IMO it's perfectly O.K. to mix and match across brands but do it with care as some parts do not work together even though they will work on an otherwise stock part.

Cheers