Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

K Members?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 02:31 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

Default K Members?

I'm going with a full line of BMR & Steeda suspension upgrades on my 06 GT (upper and lower control arms, HD subframe connectors, panhard rod and support, strut tower brace, G-Track brace, Floorpan brace and driveshaft loops.) Both of their products seem to be well made for about the same price and get good feedback from people on the forum. The only thing I'm not sure about is the BMR K-member.

Why would one want to use this besided the weight savings? Is this something that should only be used on a drag car? Is their any difference in strength from the OEM unit. I guess I am mostly concerned with torque and cornering loads on the unit...It just looks like a whole lot less metal than what ford built (Sometimes vehicle manufacturers put things on the car for a reason.) I am considering this because of the weight savings and the extra flexibility for headers later on (I suppose you'd have more room with this unit.) Also I notice they offer several different models: race without motor mounts, and tubular with integrated mounts (I had planned to upgrade to HD mounts when I did the headers, and this might save that step.) I assume I'd need the one with mounts...I have no idea what OE power rack and pinto rack means. Is that something to do with deleting the power steering? They also have a widened flaming river rack for sale for use with one of the k-members. What is that? My car is a weekend street driver with maybe an occasional drag event in it's future, but definately must remain driveable around town and on summer trips if need be.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/2005Mustang.htm

Lots of newbie questions...Thanks in advance.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:45 AM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

Default RE: K Members?

most of the time aftermarket k-members are stronger and lighter than factory models. one thing you have to remember is that ford is also looking at cost to manufacture. they will tend to make things a certain design because it costs less and is easier to manufacture in that design. i have an AJE k-member and a-arms. it is extremely light and really built for drag and street/strip cars. i wouldn't advise it for autocross/road race setups. i saw the BMR stuff and talked to the reps at a race recently and there stuff is definitely stronger(a little heavier than mine but not much) and more suited for use in corner carving applications. unfortunately they don't have the a/arms ready yet but will be soon.
as far as rack units you will want to stay with your stock rack and pinion. the others listed are lightweight manual units intended for drag and street/strip cars. there are other issues to deal with on these cars when changing to manual rack units due to susspension geometery as i learned from a very scary experiment last month. the k-members are roughly 40-50lbs. lighter than the stock one so if you are serious about handling/drag strip times it is worth doing IMO.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:06 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be looking to purchase the tubular K-member with mounts. The only thing I don't like is losing my favorite floorjacking point for the front end. That big hunk o' metal will be gone, and I'm not going to use the oil pan. Time to get some big ramps I guess.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:52 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

per suggestion...bump to top
Old 04-04-2006, 01:48 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

I would only add to spyder's post that in addition to the k-member - it is a good idea to get the k-member brace with the torque limiters. The brace itself is okay but the torque limiters really help keep your driveline in place. I had a big problem with my tranny shifting slightly at WOT and I really had to force 2nd and 3rd gear. The remote shifter location in these cars really make it prone to flex under stress. The torque limiters really helped me in that regard and my shifts at WOT became noticeably smoother.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:42 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I've never heard of torque limiters before. Have to do a search on that one. I had planned to purchase the G-trac brace to tie the rear of the K-member together (The BMR piece is nice, but the steeda is just beefier, especially at the ends) , is this the brace you are referring to?

Can you tell I'm a noob?

Thanks again
Old 04-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2006GT

Can you tell I'm a noob?

Thanks again
Yes, but you're one of those loveable noobs who says you'll "do a search on that one" and will be in a position to ask informed questions. Oh! I just wanna hug ya and kiss ya and hug ya and kiss ya...[sm=Awwww.gif]

Logging onto the internet to access Google--or hey, even this Forum's archives: free (at a public library)
Doing your own research: priceless
Old 04-04-2006, 02:23 PM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

For some reason I feel dirty and violated after that last response.

Anyway, thanks Chevykiller for the input. I checked out the torque limiters from CHE, but unfortunately the design of their required brace does not appear to be compatible with the BMR K member. It's a 4 point brace, but the BMR member only has the upper holes for mounting, or so it would appear from the pictures.

I love the internet. How the hell did people find stuff before?

The research continues.....
Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 2006GT

For some reason I feel dirty and violated after that last response.

Anyway, thanks Chevykiller for the input. I checked out the torque limiters from CHE, but unfortunately the design of their required brace does not appear to be compatible with the BMR K member. It's a 4 point brace, but the BMR member only has the upper holes for mounting, or so it would appear from the pictures.

I love the internet. How the hell did people find stuff before?

The research continues.....
Yeah, I should have mentioend that...sorry. I was considering the BMR K-members but was told by some very knowledegable racers I would have a better set-up with the stock k-members with the che brace and torque limiters and that's what I went with. 25 lbs wasn't going to do much for me and I am more concerned with handling power than weight. I am looking for four point aftermarket k-members and haven't found one yet so I'm satisfied with the stock and che brace and limiters. For n/a cars and descent HP forced induction just the BMR K's are nice but when you start making big HP and torque, you've got to keep everything intact.