Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Procharger Installed!!...Now with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 02:54 AM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Default Procharger Installed!!...Now with Pics

That's right, it's finally in. I bought the kit way back in January before I even got the car. The weather was finally decent, so in it went.

It took my brother and me about 21 hours (whoops hard work=dislexic (sp?) typing. It was only 12 hours!) to do the entire install. That includes time to install Saleen HID headlights as well as clear markers! And there was a meal break in there too. That's a lot less time than I thought it would take us. Overall I was happy with the quality of the kit parts, though I think there are some fitment issues that could and should be ironed out by ATI. And maybe they have. I have an old (but still brand new, never installed) kit that was one of the first produced for the '05. A guy was sitting on it after he sold his Saleen.

Anyways, some of the toughest steps were running all the intake tubing and finding ways to tighten the clamps and line everything up. Extending the MAF sensor wiring harness was tedious but doable. Another tough one was getting all the coolant lines in after all that 3.5" intake tubing was taking up most of the realestate.

The easiest parts were the new 39lb fuel injectors and installing the new fan and shroud. Mounting the bracket and the actual charger were the definition of bolt-on. Peace of cake.

I do have an issue though. Instead of a new fuel pump to keep up with the new injectors, ATI includes another vendor's Fuel Management Unit or "Flowcharger" that is supposed to boost voltage to the pump when an extra demand for fuel is needed. It installs in the spare tire well and interfaces with the FMU that is already there. Problem though: I had it hooked up and verified the wiring, but it keeps blowing the pump fuse in the fuse box under the hood after the motor runs for maybe 5 seconds. The install ups the stock 15A fuse to a new 30A but it is still blowing the 30A. So I think I must have a defective Flowcharger. Anyways, I bypassed it for now and finally got to test drive it.

OH. MY. GOD. This thing is incredible. Now, I loved how my pony pushed me into my seat when it was stock, but this is freaking insane!!! It pulls just like it used to until you hit 2K or so. Then it pulls harder, harder, harder and then a shift. (queue the beautiful sound of a bypass valve) pulls some more, then more. It's a constant and drastic pull that just forces you into the seat. Simply incredible! And a bit rediculous!! LOL. I LOVE IT!!!

Seriously though, the install isn't bad and we had some fun doing it. There are some things still needing care. I need to reinstall the lower splash shield under the radiator, but it needs to be trimmed to clear the pipes going to and coming from the intercooler. I also need to check all the clearances on the pipes again, because I seem to have a bit of a rattle somewhere up there when idling. And a call to ATI to get this Flowcharger problem ironed out. And I have a full gauge compiment that I didn't get to yet. Cobalt series from Autometer. Fuel pressure, Boost, and a narrow-band A/F ratio. (I have a wide-band kit on order, but Autometer isn't releasing them until some time in April supposedly.) Then I think I'll run it in soon to have it dynoed and verify a healthy tune. I'll be sure to post those details as they come.

Then, of course, pics for all to enjoy. Oh, and I've got to aim the HID's. They're pointed a little too low right now. I'd do it tonight, but I am feeling muscles I haven't felt in years! LOL, it HAS been a full day!

Sorry it's a long post, but I felt like doing a bit of a right-up, as I haven't yet seen one of a Procharger install. I'd be happy to answer any questions y'all might have about the kit and the install.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31863/C1E38AF927E848279D0D5E71B7269F5C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31863/C60C00686BDC4DE0A15E804A7BD9AA71.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31863/0B01EDE83F1D41609E22E6AC298BB5BB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31863/BAE36862491E4007B1D7DF3C574E5813.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/31863/72AF2EA065E64709897360AA48899AAD.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-01-2006, 02:59 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Procharger Installed!!!!

Congratulations man! Welcome to the PSI club
Old 04-01-2006, 05:36 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I want to see some pictures! How much did the whole setup cost you?
Old 04-01-2006, 10:39 AM
johnnyc

Congrats on the install.

I have been runing the Procharger for about 4 months and you are right it pulls hard.

I switched pullys a couple of times to get the boost where I wanted it (12lb).

Be careful above 425rwhp...those little connecting rods can break, ask me how I know.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:31 AM
AntiHeightPunk
1st Gear Member

how much is it to change connecting rods? What all do i have to do to go above 425?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:12 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Scooter you sly dog!! Congrats on the install. Maybe when the Chicago crowd gets together this summer you can grace us with a shotgun experience.

A note on the install. If I read correctly, you say you "bypassed" the boost-a-pump unit? Just so there's no sad follow-up story, you know that fuel management is super critical with a blower right....say yes please. I only mention it because your story included a test drive--I would be very leary of driving it until something has been done to ensure you get adequate fuel under load (at idle, low boost, it probably doesn't matter much, but at WOT you're asking for a quick death).

Anywho, I'm very happy for you, really. I was planning on going the Procharger route myself...someday. [&o] Have you found a custom tuner in the area? Where will you be having it dynoed?

Best,
-j
Old 04-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I am trying to keep the RPM's low due to the FMU being a problem. But sometimes you just can't help it. Hopefully it will just be swapping out a defective FMU when I talk to ATI on Monday, but we'll see. It may be the wiring is too small to handle the extra voltage and that's what is blowing the fuse, so I may have to run a heavier gauge wire straight from the battery. That would be a PITA. [&:] Oh, well. As far as a potential sad foolow-up story, ATI shipped the kit to the original owner without the FMU because they had been out of stock. In order to make it run safely without the FMU, they also shipped it with a larger pulley that would only make 6lbs of boost, so I might put that pulley back on while I wait for a result on the FMU. Otherwise the extra 3 or 4lbs with the smaller pulley shouldn't be detrimental if I can keep my foot from going narcoleptic on the gas pedal!

As far as a custom tuner, I spoke with some people in Schaumburg who are specialized in Ford's with Diablo tuners, and they seem to know their stuff. I may run it down there to verify a healthy tune but MPaint99 is in the area as well and he pointed out another dyno place with 3 pulls for $75 in Mudelein. (Closer than Schaumburg!) Seems like a great price but I don't know if he tunes as well.

If you know anybody reputable Philo, let me know, I'm still shopping. And I'll definitely be up for some face (and seat) time when the crowd meets!

-Cheers
Old 04-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Oh, and pics. I am working on pics!

Cost? The kit I bought over Ebay from a guy who never installed it on his Saleen before the wife made him sell it. I stole it for $3,700 with the handheld tuner, FMU, and injectors, etc.

-Cheers
Old 04-01-2006, 05:05 PM
johnnyc

In answer to the question what do you have to do to go aboive 425rwhp, I do not know. however I know what I have done and it is a work in-progress headed for at least 600rwhp.

In no particular order....
Ford Racing lowering kit
Procharger
Hurst shifter
ARP Head Stud Kit (Hex Head) 4.6L
Super Modular Max Quench 4.6L Balanced To Racing Tolerances And Blueprinted
Forged Pro-X Series 13cc 3V .020 Pistons
Full Floating 4340 Forged 5.933 H-Beam Rods W/ARP Rod Bolts
Forged Cobra 3.543 Stroke Crank Shaft
Moly Ring Set
Tri Metal Rod & Main Bearings with Billet Main Support System
9.4-1 Compression With Stock Heads
5/8" Fuel Rail Kit
Sieman Deka 60Lb. High Impedance Matched Fuel Injector Set
RPS- CYN-R-G Segmented Billet Alum. 96-04 Cobra & 05 GT 4.6L 8 Bolt Fly-Wheel
RPS Stage 3 Twin Friction 10 Spline Disc With 29oo LB Pressure Plate Clutch Kit
SCT Xcalibrator-2 Adjustable OBD II
Stroker 5.0L conversion
Bonssai Exhaustrunning w/o Cats

Right now the machine pulls hard. next xhange is to have the Procharger upgraded to pump harder.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:42 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Here they be. Oh, how glorious!

Quick Reply: Procharger Installed!!...Now with Pics