Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pypes offroad x-pipes + SLP loudmouths installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 12:04 PM
ratzila
2nd Gear Member

Default Pypes offroad x-pipes + SLP loudmouths installed

Well I finally got the offroad x-pipes and the slp installed last night. I have to tell you guys that I am dissappointed in the sound. I hate it. To me it sounds like a V6 on steroids. It is too raspy.Anything above 2500 rpm and the car sounds like a ricer. I am going to install the stock mufflers and see how it sounds. If it is still bad I am going back with the stock h-pipe and slp loudmouths. I like that sound. Does the offroad h-pipe sound any better with the slp loudmouths?
Old 04-01-2006, 01:00 PM
talios
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Pypes offroad x-pipes + SLP loudmouths installed

I have an off-road h-pipe sitting around to install and already have SLP Loudmouths on the car...as is it sounds great, havn't gotten around to sticking the h-pipe on because I like the sound so much as-is (and I don't want to **** off my neighbors).
Old 04-01-2006, 04:13 PM
HIGHLANDER
1st Gear Member

I have the complete SLP exhaust on my '02 GT (LT headers, X-pipe w/cats, LM1's) and it doesn't sound raspy at all. The car will sound better once you break the pipes in. If you add LT headers you will notice a big difference in sound (and performance). I've had mine on for over a year now and wouldn't think about changing them.

I also have a set of off-road pipes as well. The cats can be swapped in favor of the race pipes (swap takes about 30 minutes).

My advice to you if you want the best sound is to go with the x-pipe w/cats and the LM1. They sound great together. [sm=trust_me.gif]
Old 04-01-2006, 04:18 PM
ratzila
2nd Gear Member

Does the no cats cause the raspy sound? How much of a difference in sound is there between the offroad x-pipe and catted x-pipes?
Old 04-01-2006, 04:32 PM
HIGHLANDER
1st Gear Member

The x-pipe w/cats and the LM1 give the car a loud, deep, and aggressive tone especially at WOT. When you put the off road pipes on you will notice a difference in the sound. The exhaust tone is definately deeper with the cats and x-pipe. Your car will also sound different (deeper) if you add long tube headers. Like I posted earlier give your pipes a chance to break in.

I don't have any soundclips of my car, however, if you want to know what it sounds like SLP has soundclips of a Mustang GT with the exact same setup I have on my car (330 HP Performance Pac - 330 Flywheel HP) at www.SLPonline.com (Note the soundclips are of an '03 GT not an '05)

I live in NJ (30 minutes from SLP HQ) and have heard their system for the '05-'06 Mustang and it sounded great!
Old 04-03-2006, 05:09 PM
jems

I was told by Brent at Brenspeed that the 3v motor with an o/r X pipe will sound raspy. So I bought the o/r H pipe from him, as he said H will sound deep and much better. He was right........ I love the sound of the H even with the stock mufflers on.