Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang GT Vs. Sti

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT Vs. Sti

Mr. Mustang, great reply lol, yeah i agree, i love my stang and there is a certain quality and charisma that is inherent in them. Now, im not saying i have anything against sti's, but when it comes to american muscle vs rice/sti, i personally dont see much of a competition. The stangs look amazing and are big and intimidating. In terms of speed they come close, but the V8 has more potential. There is definitely a respect though for the passion that goes into whatever car you have and love. Now this is a Mustang forum and people need to stop sticking up for rice/other cars. They are great and thats awesome and if you would like to talk about how great they are, im sure those cars have forums/sites as well.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Mr. Mustang, great reply lol, yeah i agree, i love my stang and there is a certain quality and charisma that is inherent in them. Now, im not saying i have anything against sti's, but when it comes to american muscle vs rice/sti, i personally dont see much of a competition. The stangs look amazing and are big and intimidating. In terms of speed they come close, but the V8 has more potential. There is definitely a respect though for the passion that goes into whatever car you have and love. Now this is a Mustang forum and people need to stop sticking up for rice/other cars. They are great and thats awesome and if you would like to talk about how great they are, im sure those cars have forums/sites as well.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:58 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MR.Mustang

Here is my take on all this rice stuff... Rx-7's & Supras are not really rice unless they are all stickered up and all that. These cars are the Japanese versions of a muscle car.

STi's and Evo's are definately rice. They are factory rice because the car's base model is an economy car with 4doors. All they do is turbo charge the hell out of it. Granted, they handle well and have all-wheel drive but a just look at them, they're fugly. There is nothing desireable about the body styling.

Muscle cars are were it's at. As a youth, all I could dream about was a Muscle car. The mean look of a 70's Mustang or Cuda with a healthy Big Block V8 rumbling in the hood just made me think I need to have that. Muscle cars are cool and are for real guys, not the poser go-with-the-flow douche bag that buys any car that is latest trend. I have always loved Mustangs and Muscle cars and you get a certain kind of respect.

I could have choose an Evo or STi but I would feel like a flippin nerd driving around in a clown mobile. Everyone would think I am going to some hot import night show where guys stand around showing off their neon lights and blow off valves. I know I am going to cacth a lot flak for saying this but this is a Mustang forum and in my opinion there is no cooler car out there. Ford make cars for real American's that want to go fast and feel like a bad ***. That is how I feel in my Mustang; a bad *** *****. Thank you Ford!

I think the sti look ungly, but its not rice. Just becuase it has a economy verson, doesnt make it rice. Look at the mustang for example. Last time i checked we had a economy v6 verson right? The sti is ungly but is not a rice burner (if they took the economy verson and try to make it into a sport car w/ huge wings and stuff; then yes, thats a rice car). its fast and i hate to say it, can go around a turn much faster then a mustang gt. But i still like the mustang more, because it looks better, rides better, and sounds better.

As fair as a drag race, i would "think" because the sti has AWD and it gears are shorter; it would take off the line much faster and most likly have a faster 0-60; but i would think a roll on race would go more toward the gt where the sti turbos are not as effective and the shorter gears start to lose top speed.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:52 AM
grasshopper
2nd Gear Member

I must say Americans are the best at comparing apples and oranges. The ignorance is dripping out of the seams on my monitor.

The Japanese thrive on efficiency because they are surrounded by limits of resource. Americans have a brute force mentality because since our country was conceived, we've had nothing to hold us back so we have no need for restraint. There is no better example than variable valve timing. Everyone used it before we did, and when we did, it was borrowed from the Japanese.

Anyway, pigs will roll in the mud regardless of what you say to them... so enjoy.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:23 AM
CrimeScene
2nd Gear Member

This is a Mustang forum hence American muscle cars,you cannot expect alot of muscle car lovers to extoll the virtue of an import,I am shure even though they are going nuts over the Stang the Japs are ripping the stangs apart in there forums as we are ripping there cars apart.

I have no bad feelings about imports I don't car for the one's that are modded to sound like my lawnmower,more stickers then a Nascar and a wing bigger then an F-18's I don't care if it has 10 HP or 500 HP to ME and I said to ME it looks stupid.

My MoM had a 00 subaru and it was ok,little small for my taste but it ran ok and the AWD was a good thing but I would never buy one becuse there to small,the outbacks are ok.

I have, or I should say I paid for it but it was my wifes, 95 Grand am,98 AUDI A6 QUATRO,99 BMW 740il and last an 2002 Disco II,me some how I still get stuck with my 87 F-150 bare bones all but for 4wd,but when I get my 07 Stang it's all mine, she has been warned to to even breath within 20 feet of it
But some how I get the feeling my 4yr old will claim it as she did my truck,she hugs it every time we get in it
Old 04-04-2006, 02:48 AM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I get really digusted when good-minded Mustang owners must always label any Japanese/Asian car 'rice' right off the bat. Parked alongside my 05 GT is an 05 S2000, and I tell you what, that car is anything but your so-called 'rice'.

If you can't appreciate the design and engineering that goes into these cars, then you are truely ignorant. If you can't look at a S2000, a V-Spec Skyline, a NSX, or a Type-R, and appreciate them for what they are, then you are blind my friend. No these cars don't have a huge V8 under the hood, they might have a inline 6 or maybe a V6, ususally a 4 cylinder, but per litre they make more horsepower than my car, of any production car come to think of it. Our S2000 has the lowest drag coeffient than any production car ever made, and has a perfect 50/50 weight distribution. Can a Mustang boast that?

Open your eyes and minds and look at what the cars are built for. They aren't drag racing cars, their road racing and drifting cars. They are built for a whole different express purpose. They aren't trying to win the 'who has the most horsepower battle', they simply are out there to win. Period.

I wasn't a 'rice' fan when we got the car, but having driven it and played with it, I wouldn't trade that car for anything. And don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my pony and there isn't a car in the world I would rather have. I just happened to like both ends of the spectrum. I like the option to drive the huge V8 that has torque until next Sunday and sounds like a huge car coming towards you, and I like to have the high-revving tight corner car that is fun as hell to throw through some curves on the way home.

Point being, don't judge a car by the outside or the driver. Take that car for a spin, see what it can do, see what it is designed for, then judge it.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hottymustang

Ok, I get really digusted when good-minded Mustang owners must always label any Japanese/Asian car 'rice' right off the bat. Parked alongside my 05 GT is an 05 S2000, and I tell you what, that car is anything but your so-called 'rice'.

If you can't appreciate the design and engineering that goes into these cars, then you are truely ignorant. If you can't look at a S2000, a V-Spec Skyline, a NSX, or a Type-R, and appreciate them for what they are, then you are blind my friend. No these cars don't have a huge V8 under the hood, they might have a inline 6 or maybe a V6, ususally a 4 cylinder, but per litre they make more horsepower than my car, of any production car come to think of it. Our S2000 has the lowest drag coeffient than any production car ever made, and has a perfect 50/50 weight distribution. Can a Mustang boast that?

Open your eyes and minds and look at what the cars are built for. They aren't drag racing cars, their road racing and drifting cars. They are built for a whole different express purpose. They aren't trying to win the 'who has the most horsepower battle', they simply are out there to win. Period.

I wasn't a 'rice' fan when we got the car, but having driven it and played with it, I wouldn't trade that car for anything. And don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore my pony and there isn't a car in the world I would rather have. I just happened to like both ends of the spectrum. I like the option to drive the huge V8 that has torque until next Sunday and sounds like a huge car coming towards you, and I like to have the high-revving tight corner car that is fun as hell to throw through some curves on the way home.

Point being, don't judge a car by the outside or the driver. Take that car for a spin, see what it can do, see what it is designed for, then judge it.
[sm=thanx.gif]

I agree %100, a buddy of mine just got the new civic si. Not my style car; but vtecs are fun. My last car was a 3000gt (not the fastest at 222hp, but it had 161,000 miles on it and ran VERY STRONG). other friend of mine has a 350z; thats nice and fast.

94 civic w/ 20' rims, exhuast, body kit, and wing=RICE

Supra= nice imp

evo/sti= ungly imp

TA/mustangs/gto's= well, i dont think i have to tell you what they are.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:45 PM
CPC

Hotty...well said..Amen to that
you are my hero
Old 04-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

HERE HERE! +1 Hotty! Never a truer statement said. To me rice=all sorts of exterior mods and stereo mods that only add weight to the car... no offence to some here, but I would cosinder some of your cars to be north american rice.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:33 PM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: grasshopper

... There is no better example than variable valve timing. Everyone used it before we did, and when we did, it was borrowed from the Japanese.

You are wrong. Don't quote me on this part, but I believe either Buick or Cadillac had variable valve timing somewhere around the middle of the 1900s. I'm not positive on the manufacturer, but I do know that the Americans played around with variable valve timing LONG before the Japanese. The Japanese did as they always do, they took someone elses idea and (to some degree) perfected it, put it into production, and claimed it as their own.

You wanna get rich? Keep checking for someone elses patent to expire then claim-jump it.[8D]

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Vs. Sti