Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sudden/Quick loss of engine power

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 12:09 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Sudden/Quick loss of engine power

ORIGINAL: Fly
For 2k05gt:

TJF1 (Amarillo delivery)
'06 GT manual
I will put the Codes in an excel sheet, we might see a pattern.....

Thanks Fly
Old 04-16-2006, 05:54 PM
derck_mullin

CDC3 on the computer. I just ordered a CAI from Evolution with SCT. I'll be curious to see if that makes it stop. Also, I had only been putting 87 in the car. But, since people who have tunes are having the same, I doubt this is even a possible.

Fly, I think yours is just the traction control. If you're banging upshifts, you're probably getting this. It's tough to see sometimes, especially in bright sun, but look for the little yellow squiggle light on the dash (I'm can't remember for sure, but I think it's in the speedo area). I definintely had this happen the other day.

Mainly it seems to happen to me after cruising on the interstate for awhile. I can leave the car in fifth or downshift and hit the gas. All the sudden it feels just like the traction contol kicking in, but at 70 in fifth, I don't think I'm even close to spinning the tires...and I have looked for the light, but it doesn't come on.

Let's keep this up...I think 2k might have hit the nail on the head with the computer. BTW, does anyone know how many different version are out there?
Old 04-16-2006, 07:06 PM
Fly
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: derck_mullin

Fly, I think yours is just the traction control. If you're banging upshifts, you're probably getting this. It's tough to see sometimes, especially in bright sun, but look for the little yellow squiggle light on the dash (I'm can't remember for sure, but I think it's in the speedo area). I definintely had this happen the other day.
No, it's definitely not the traction control because there was no mistaking the sound of the engine shutting off, and the traction control utilizes the antilock brakes. Also, I was on a concrete paved turnpike and a 3-4 upshift at 100ish mph. I got into it about a week ago under less favorable conditions, and I could even hear the tires breaking loose and nothing weird happened. I'm going to try the throttle pedal cycling trick and then see if I can get it to act up again.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:38 PM
woodywoody
2nd Gear Member

I was hoping this was still on one of the top topics... I was driving today, going 77mph and after about 30 minutes. I downshifted into 4th and then bam, same exact thing happened to me. But then she ran fine.

-W
Old 04-16-2006, 09:34 PM
derck_mullin

woodyX2 you got it...do me a favor and check the computer code. There is a sticker on the computer. It's located on the passenger side, attached to the fuse box. The problem with this is just like you said...all the sudden it's fine again. Diagnosis is very tough since it only happens occasionally and is also difficult to predict. Hopefully we can get enough people to chime in and maybe figure out what the cause is...

Old 04-16-2006, 09:46 PM
woodywoody
2nd Gear Member

i dont have a flash light and it's too dark to see but i will look in the morning.

-W
Old 04-17-2006, 12:07 AM
norseman

Happend to me first time this weekend, have C&L /SCT2 combo from Evo Performance installed three weeks ago. The total milage is 4500, have had the 93 octane tune and CAI installed about 700 miles. Was driving from Houston to San Antonio, cruice control at 80mph, stopped at a gas station for 10 minutes, and was entering the ramp onto I-10 when it happend: Floored it from 2000rpm in 2nd gear and it just died for a second. This has never happend me before, and have not been able to reproduce it........

06 Tungsten Grey GT Premium Coupe (delivered Sept 05), 5 speed, C&L CAI/SCTII Combo from Evo Performance.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:20 AM
JPS51830

I have an AOD on my 05 and had the same problem, especially when stomping on the accelerator to make it shift gears, and from a dead stop. I took it in for a Dyno tune and the shop had a custom setting in the SCT tune he applied and it took all of the lag away. I was told it had to do with the throttle by wire and the TPS settings. Have not had the problem since. Check with a tuner and they may be able to help you out. Unless it is something entirely different causing your problem.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Fly
2nd Gear Member

Am I the only stick guy getting this AFTER the gear change?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:04 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2k05gt

ORIGINAL: derck_mullin

It doesn't seem to affect many of the cars. I'm wondering if some of the computers are a little more picky and respond differently than most of the others do after the engine heats up a bit.
This is a thought, If you are having the power loss problem, post your PCM 4 letter code, Derck_mullin may be onto something here.
Your Computer Code is on a white sticker on the engine side of the pcm (Silver box on the front passenger side of the engine compartment)
I am also a TJF1 ... interesting.

Geez, I leave for the back woods of Maine for a week thinking this thread was long dead, only to come back with all these updates!! I would just love to see some others with this problem come forward with their PCM codes. Very interested to see if there is a correlation.

Forums rock.

Quick Reply: Sudden/Quick loss of engine power