Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which 16 year old GT driver will have the first "mishap?"

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 10:42 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Which 16 year old GT driver will have the first "mishap?"

JUST KIDDING GUYS. Nobody wants you to crash. Congrats on your nice cars! (although I'm not sure what your parents were thinking.) I just know how stupid I used to drive when I was your age. Thank God I only had a 4 banger! Worst thing that happened to me was going through a chain link fence at the high school, and only my pride was hurt. Please be careful these things will get away from you in a hurry.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:56 AM
gregt909
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Which 16 year old GT driver will have the first "mishap?"

ORIGINAL: 2006GT

*****Which 16 year old Mustang GT driver will crash first?*****

JUST KIDDING GUYS. Nobody wants you to crash. Congrats on your nice cars! (although I'm not sure what your parents were thinking.) I just know how stupid I used to drive when I was your age. Thank God I only had a 4 banger! Worst thing that happened to me was going through a chain link fence at the high school, and only my pride was hurt. Please be careful these things will get away from you in a hurry.
I would have probably killed myself if I owned this car at 16. When I was 15 I bought a V/W Dasher and hid it from my parents. This thing was the slowest POS on the planet. Used to do donuts in reverse b/c it was the only way to make the tires squeal. I drove it like a complete idiot till I lost it down the side of a mountain on a windy road. No one got hurt. I have a 5year old now and I cring at the thought of him driving.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

+1 big time!

I have to admit, I don't get some parents today (or, to be honest, in my day). This seems like a whole lot of car to hand over to a new driver. And I don't care what grades you got or whatever else you think you did to "earn" it--in my house good grades were mandatory, you didn't get props for them--you certainly didn't get a brand new car (much less a 300 hp sports car).

But, that was my house, and some of these kids live in very different houses. So I sincerely hope two things for them. First, please please take a second to think about what you're doing in the car before you do it--drive safe and find a secure venue to explore the cars potential (tracks, drivers events, etc.). Second, mentally say "thank you" to your parents, your god, and any other relevant spirits that provided you with such a privilege--because it is a HUGE privilge (not a right, entitlement, or reward). Say this every time you get in it, be genuinely grateful.

Best,
-j
Old 04-04-2006, 01:51 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

+1, My parents expected good grades from me, my only reward was extra freedom on the weekends. I had my first Mustang at 15, but it was bought and paid for by me. I worked my butt off to be able to buy my car. I had a very modified '88 5.0 vert waiting on me when I got my license at 16. I did some stupid things but for the most part I drove very carefully (I had too much time, money, sweat and blood in the car).

Just be careful out there guys, no matter how old or young you are.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:57 PM
dragonfans04GT
1st Gear Member

When i turned 15, I had a '78 Ford F150 long bed with a 5.0 engine. It was also orange. Not that cool competition orange like todays Mustangs, but an ugle *** construction vehicle orange. I was in no hurry getting places in that tank.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:06 PM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

Too funny. My first car was bought and paid for by me too but it certainly wasn't a mustang...lol - it was a 1978 AMC hornet I spent $75 for. It lasted 3 1/2 weeks. My second car was a mint condition all original 1964 Karma Ghia that a widowed neighbor had in his garage for 15 years. He gave it to me for $450 because he felt sorry for me and was a great old man. I kick myself in the butt to this day because I ruined that car one week after I bought it. I wanted to lower it so (being the experienced 17 year old gearhead) I removed most of the tortion bars and talk about a crappy ride. Then my friends and I thought a convertible version would be cool so we cut the roof off.

Mind you this was a mint condition all orginal car - even had the original white walls. Yes, some teenagers are smarter than others but experience is what generates wisdom and I have yet to meet a WISE seventeen year-old. Not a great car for a teenager IMO and it has nothing to do with cost - purely power. I think the V6 is a better choice. Heck, there are teenagers in my neighborhood driving 60K cars, but they are not 'race cars' - I have no problems with teenagers racing even 1000 hp cars at the track where it's supervised but not on the street.

My philosophy is a teenager is only as smart as his/her friends and EVERY teenager has dumb friends...lol
Old 04-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

dragonfans! "ugly *** construction vehicle orange" lol. That brings back some memories of all the jacked-up rides my friends and I had to cruise in. We had one, a matte brown (spray painted) 74? Torino. That thing was a tank and we called it the rolling chocolate bar. Good times!

Back to point, Quick has it right. There was this one guy who had a hot car back in h.s., but he and his old man worked on that thing since he was 12. His soul was in that car, as was every penny he earned from all his after-school jobs. That breeds respect and appreciation for the car--you never really appreciate a car until you've busted up some knuckles and given blood to the car-gods. In my case, most of my cars wouldn't even run right until I made the appropriate blood sacrafice.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:23 PM
MR.Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Here is a picture of a 16 year old that got stuck on a curb near my house last year. I posted it before and I caught a lot of flak because I though it was funny. No one was hurt and the car was not damaged badly. I feel bad for this guy but you have to expect accidents with new drivers. "With great power come great reponsibility"

[IMG]local://upfiles/17775/E35A4167217C46C987A68C8F27D675E0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17775/C1B648B306E24DF9A04D753421C02D83.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-04-2006, 02:26 PM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

Man, this is hilarious! I thought for sure I was going to be flamed from all sides and the thread immediately locked. He he he.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:27 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

I had to work my way up to this car!

92 Chevy Blazer POS (Non working AC in TEXAS!!!)
98 Ford Explorer (Cracked the real axle on a speed bump)
01 Chevy Camaro V6 (Got tired of it. TOO SLOW)
And Finally
05 Mustang GT!!! Took me forever to get up to this level.

~Fred

Quick Reply: Which 16 year old GT driver will have the first "mishap?"