Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do NOT put 4.10's behind a supercharged car

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

Default Do NOT put 4.10's behind a supercharged car

OK, I have the roush S/C, and just installed the 4.10s today. DONT DO IT. ( I say this, because I am a very selfish person, and I want all this fun for myself) It is totally awesome. The car doesnt take off, it leaps! Its like, you are sitting at a light, and think, "Hmmm, I wish I was 40 feet from here" and BOOM. you are. Totally driveable, too. Not really any noticeable increase in RPMs in 5th at 65-70. First gear is optional, but still not useless. The car runs right in the power range through all gears, and it still has pickup in 5th. I havent happered it yet, cause Im breaking it in for a few hundred miles, btu Ill be track testing next week, weather permitting.

The only problem Im having is the speedometer. I bought a speedometer recalibrating box from Brothers Performance, and the dang thing doesnt work for the 05-06. Anyone have any ideas how I can reset my speedometer? I cant use a tuner, because the roush tune isnt supposed to be messed with. Does anyone know of a speedometer calibrator that works on the 05-06?
Old 04-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: Do NOT put 4.10's behind a supercharged car

ORIGINAL: Lucy2005

OK, I have the roush S/C, and just installed the 4.10s today. DONT DO IT. ( I say this, because I am a very selfish person, and I want all this fun for myself) It is totally awesome. The car doesnt take off, it leaps! Its like, you are sitting at a light, and think, "Hmmm, I wish I was 40 feet from here" and BOOM. you are. Totally driveable, too. Not really any noticeable increase in RPMs in 5th at 65-70. First gear is optional, but still not useless. The car runs right in the power range through all gears, and it still has pickup in 5th. I havent happered it yet, cause Im breaking it in for a few hundred miles, btu Ill be track testing next week, weather permitting.

The only problem Im having is the speedometer. I bought a speedometer recalibrating box from Brothers Performance, and the dang thing doesnt work for the 05-06. Anyone have any ideas how I can reset my speedometer? I cant use a tuner, because the roush tune isnt supposed to be messed with. Does anyone know of a speedometer calibrator that works on the 05-06?
Have you contacted Roush to see what they recommend?
Old 04-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

not yet, its after 5. I thought I saw a thread on a speedometer cal out of texas on one of the forums, but a search turned up nothing.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:19 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that you can just go in with the tuner and change it without affecting the real "tune" (fuel mapping).

If not, ask Roush to get you a tune for the supercharger that also has the 4.10 gears accounted for. If they can't help you, then surely one of the performance shops that does custom tunes can merely copy the map from the Roush tune, but add the change for the 4.10 gears (and only that change).

You cannot get or use a "spedometer recalibrator" for the 05-06. It's all done through the tuner.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, you should be able to do it with the tuner, without effecting the Performance tune.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:38 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

In theory yes. But it depends on what tuner Lucy has. Or was the PCM sent in to Roush for them to flash? If the tune came on a handheld, then it is back to depending on which one. If it were a Predator, piece of cake. If it is an XCal, nope. Has to be actually adjusted in the tune. Not sure but I think that holds true on the XCal II also until SCT quits jerking people around and releases the 3.0 firmware.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

Originally, I bought a diablo and a CAI. Then, I took that off and put on the roush S/C, and the computer was sent to roush to be re-flashed. Then, It was sent back to Roush for the 06 flash, once all EPA issues had been resolved. I was given pretty specific instructions NOT to put the tuner back on the car. I have followed those instructions. If noone has dealt with this issue, Ill call Roush in the morning and ask them what I need to do. The problem with the Roush tune is it uses some proprietary software, and came with a secondary computer. Heck, I can deal with the speedometer if I had to, it is the fact that the car is racking up more miles than it is in reality that has me worried. Plus, it would be nice to see the actual speed.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:13 AM
GTRacing
1st Gear Member

I was told that if you run into a warranty issue with Roush, the first thing they check is to see if their tune has been altered. If it has, forget the warranty you paid for and depend on.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:47 PM
gregt909
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lucy2005

Originally, I bought a diablo and a CAI. Then, I took that off and put on the roush S/C, and the computer was sent to roush to be re-flashed. Then, It was sent back to Roush for the 06 flash, once all EPA issues had been resolved. I was given pretty specific instructions NOT to put the tuner back on the car. I have followed those instructions. If noone has dealt with this issue, Ill call Roush in the morning and ask them what I need to do. The problem with the Roush tune is it uses some proprietary software, and came with a secondary computer. Heck, I can deal with the speedometer if I had to, it is the fact that the car is racking up more miles than it is in reality that has me worried. Plus, it would be nice to see the actual speed.
Any luck from Roush on this issue? I want to do 4.10's as well but I want my speedo to be right.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:32 AM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

Talked to Johnny, at Roush today. After a few minutes of transfers and checking around, he told me that I could either go to the ford dealer and have them do it, or change it with the handheld programmer. Be ABSOLUTELY sure, the only thing you change is the gear ratio, and dont get into the actual tune. I would still call first, just to create a record, that you checked. Just incase. 1-800-59 ROUSH. Im going to have the mechanic do it, just so there wont be any question about it. Hes my buddy, and he is ASE certified, so I have the umbrella of a certified mechanic making the mod, after clearing it with roush. Ill be doing it with a Diablo Programmer. The less the Dealer knows.....

Quick Reply: Do NOT put 4.10's behind a supercharged car