Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo/Supercharger prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:36 PM
adamante82

Default Turbo/Supercharger prices

Maybe I just learned something, or maybe not. I did some searching on the forum and almost got the answer I was looking for.

I am thinking about going turbo, from STS.. http://www.ststurbo.com/

The problem I have is I'm not savvy enough to install them myself. The wording is tricky at best when it says it comes with everything needed for the install. However, my local tuner says I need an intercooler and 39lb injectors. Thats approx. another 1500 bucks +/- Which kinda throws me for a loop!! Are those things really necessary for the single turbo from STS to make 366rwhp??

Secondly, looking at superchargers...they are everywhere, from Rousch, to Saleen, to Kennebell. My head is spinning b/c I hear good and bad about them all. They are a little more expensive than the STS single turbo but some, specifically the Roush, have a better warranty program. However, I was told I need 39 lb injectors for that also.

At what point do the stock injectors need to be changed when I'm looking to make less that 400 rwhp?? For a very light turbo/supercharger set up, is an intercooler REALLY that necessary? Some websites say they are not, others say that they are. Someone school me
Old 04-05-2006, 11:53 PM
JPS51830

Default RE: Turbo/Supercharger prices

Not that I can school anyone, but did quite a bit of digging on this and I went with the Vortech V2-SQ non-inter-cooled set up for my car. It goes on next week. The fuel pump and injectors are included with the kit, and you need them to keep up with the demand for the power you are making. With the internals on this car I didn't want to push it too far on the power scale and the speed shop I use recommended this set-up. If the engine pops, then I can put something stornger in, upgrade to the inter-cooler and make even more power out of it. For now it's a daily driver and this will keep me happy for a while.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:06 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

There are several turbo options out there, the STS is my least favorite because of all the plumbing. I am going with a kit from Powerhouse Automotive. GMS, MMR, Turbo HorsePower and a couple others all have turbo kits coming out for 05+ GT's.

You can do without the intercooler and injectors as long as you keep the boost low, Saleen uses stock injectors. But for $4000 I would spend another $1500 and get a turbo kit that comes with an intercooler, injectors and a tuner and save some weight by not having all of the extra plumbing. To add an intercooler you would have to do custom plumbing, bigger injectors would require a custom tune these things would probably cost you more than $1500, so why not just get an engine bay mounted turbo?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:29 AM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

so i'm assuming that a turbo/supercharger install would negate the C&L CAI I just put in huh?
Old 04-06-2006, 01:34 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

Stock injectors are good till about 400rwhp. I have the C&L with my Saleen S/C. At that low a power level you don't need to have an intercooler but it would be a good idea.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:38 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Claytone

so i'm assuming that a turbo/supercharger install would negate the C&L CAI I just put in huh?
Yes, except for a Saleen supercharger which uses a stock style air inlet.

It is always wise to take your time and plan out mods to keep from wasting money. That is why I have had my car for 2 months with no performance mods yet.. but a turbo is going on in a little over a week.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:10 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

I was looking at the Saleen Supercharger, anyone got any info one way or the other about it ? I kind of like the way it looks and sits, but performance is the bigger issue here.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:05 AM
adamante82

From everything I have heard the CAI is no longer usable with either setup. The STS setup also gets rid of the exhaust. So if money is spent on axle backs or LT headers or anything like that, it's all gone.

Thanks for the input so far. That's not the first time I have heard that stock injectors are fine until around 400 rwhp. Like JPS, I don't really want to push my car over 400 hp. From what I've seen that might be too much for the engine, unless you have the savvy to tune or a good friend who tunes in small baby steps. Unfortunately, I kind of have to go with a couple shots at the custom tune...I can't be making too many changes b/c I'd need mo' money

1Quickshort bus, don't the engine bay turbos run a litte hotter than STS? If that's not the case let me know.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:17 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

backinblack - The Saleen supercharger has excelent performance, contact JDM Engineering they are the Saleen supercharger experts. I know they have guys making 400rwhp on 4psi. The Saleen system is pretty pricey since you really need a good tune (Saleen's is VERY lean) and injectors at a minimum. To get a Saleen supercharged car to 450rwhp it takes about $6500 $1000 more than what a turbo kit costs and the turbo can make more power and the good turbos out there are getting full boost by 2900 rpms.

adamante - The turbos don't really run that hot, yes there will be some additional heat but nothing horrible. With the STS you are depending on that electric oil pump to keep the turbo lubricated and to get the oil back to the engine. I just think there are too many things that could go wrong with an STS turbo. Plus, I would be worried about crushing the piping on speedbumps or when someone is putting the car on a lift and there are a lot of conections between pipes that could come loose. Plus I'm not crazy about mud flaps on a Mustang! Yes, they use mudflaps to protect the turbo.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:31 AM
JPS51830

I was looking at the Saleen Supercharger, anyone got any info one way or the other about it
It's pretty pricey, but anyone I talk to that has one likes them a lot.

Quick Reply: Turbo/Supercharger prices