Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI vs stock airbox...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:23 PM
undefeated
4th Gear Member

Default RE: CAI vs stock airbox...

All I can say is after I put my CAI and tune on, Wow! The difference it makes!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

I think the only thing you have to worry about, with having a CAI, is if you live in a very dusty, dry area(like I do), as the aftermarket filter isn't as restricted as the stock filter. This is easily taken care of though, by oiling or changing your filter on a more regular basis.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:06 PM
solutionsix

ORIGINAL: 05SonicBlue

Peak Horsepower: 286 (25hp gain)
Peak Torque: 302 (20-lb-ft gain)

these numbers are exactly what i got in my car after the C&L and custom tune, 286 / 302, so in my experience it's not BS
Sounds like you got about 5 more hp but 14 less torque than praztek did with the stock airbox and a K&N drop-in filter... however you guys have completely different tunes so that could be the difference as well.

The article was informative however... but they seemed to get quite a bit less out of the stock box than praztec did, however, I dont know the differences in elevation and testing temperatures either so theres a lot of variables in there that could throw the comparison off.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:14 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: solutionsix
The article was informative however... but they seemed to get quite a bit less out of the stock box than praztec did, however, I dont know the differences in elevation and testing temperatures either so theres a lot of variables in there that could throw the comparison off.
yes, there are a lot of variables that can affect the numbers (temp, humidity, altitude, accuracy of the dyno, etc.) so i think a few HP diff when comparing results is essentially not a meaningful difference.

the thing is, i think the stock air box looks like crap and any intake kit looks better than the stock intake. plus, you get more engine noise with an intake (another plus in my book) and the tune that is necessary when putting on an intake gets rid of a lot of the lack luster throttle issues people talk about, making the car much more fun to drive.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:41 PM
solutionsix

Agree with you there, you do get a bit more to look at with an intake rather than the... fairly large and unappealing airbox. And the sound, yes... thats another plus for me. I like the intake sound once you throw on a cone filter -- especially on a turbo car </wishful thinking>
Old 04-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

Don't aftermarket intakes increase the diameter of the MAF housing?
The removal of this bottle-neck in the intake may net a +5-10hp difference over stock. I remember reading an article someone wrote while doing R&D for an intake (C&L?) that compared the stock intake with tune vs their intake with tune on the same dyno...it's been a while (2005), but you may can Google it still. If I remember correctly, the C&L(?) netted about 5whp over stock, and the writer seemed flustered and blamed the low number on the air/engine temps. Another article I read said the C&L (specifically) was subject to major heat soak in slow traffic due to the aluminum construction.

My opinion...I don't think an intake (or throttle body for that matter) will make too much of a difference without some more agressive cams. Stock can only consume so much air.

If you don't like the looks of the stock airbox, you could fit a cone filter on the end of the stock intake tube.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 PM
solutionsix

I agree with you there. I cant see the intake netting any large gains in HP without the motor being able to actually use the air its pulling through a larger diameter tube. If in fact the tube was too small for the motor originally from the factory (however I cant see that being too frequent of a case) or the surface area of the filter or inlet to the airbox was too little... yeah an intake would improve the gains. After my once-over on the stock mustang airbox, it seems fairly well designed and efficient to me, but... of course... complete untested opinion there.

If I do end up ordering an intake sometime and go throw my car on my buddy's dyno, I'll do some before and after tests and try and keep them as close to fair as possible.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:53 PM
BlackB-U-TEE_06
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05SonicBlue

ORIGINAL: solutionsix
yes, there are a lot of variables that can affect the numbers (temp, humidity, altitude, accuracy of the dyno, etc.) so i think a few HP diff when comparing results is essentially not a meaningful difference.

the thing is, i think the stock air box looks like crap and any intake kit looks better than the stock intake. plus, you get more engine noise with an intake (another plus in my book) and the tune that is necessary when putting on an intake gets rid of a lot of the lack luster throttle issues people talk about, making the car much more fun to drive.
exactly!

+1 to everything you said.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:53 AM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

so bottom line is most of the HP just comes from having a good tune?
Old 04-09-2006, 08:59 PM
solutionsix

ORIGINAL: SOLDSHORT

so bottom line is most of the HP just comes from having a good tune?
Definitely. I see a lot of people here assuming that the power is coming from the intake and the tune is just required so you dont throw engine codes... however I'd have to say thats innacurate. When it comes down to the intake, the filter material and size would be the biggest concern and making sure the airbox has sufficient inlet size to accomodate the motor's needs would be next. IMO the stock airbox seems to be pretty efficient on the mustang in terms of inlet and the intake tube 'looks' appropriate for the car however -- I have yet to do any testing which I may do when I get my tuner, just to prove or disprove my theory.

Again... untested and undocumented opinion here so ... flame away if anyone loves the intakes