Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What To Do Next??

Old 04-07-2006, 02:18 AM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

Default What To Do Next??

Hiya All,

This is what I have so far...
Borla Catback Exauhst (Going in on Sat)
C&L CAI + Diablo Tune
3.73 Gears (I have an auto so its the same as 4.10 for 5spds - Going in as soon as I find $200)
UDP (Going in same day as gears)
100 Wet shot of Nitrous (with UPS guy)

I want to get as many things in before I have to tune. That way I won't have to do it again for a while. What next should I splurge for? (besides a helmet)

Also, do I need to do anything special to jump up to a 125 or 150 shot?

~Fred
Old 04-07-2006, 07:16 AM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What To Do Next??

Hey thats a pretty good list. Since youve got the borla catbacks and an intake, go for the midpipe along with high flow cats and longtube headers. That way, you will have the entire exhaust system covered. After that, maybe suspension if you dont already have it. That will help alot on your launches. Also, if you still want more performance, a torque convertor will help as well. Tell us what you decide.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:11 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Fred, to change from 100 shot to 125 or 150, all you need is the jets. With the wet kits, you size the shot by changing both the N20 jet along with the fuel jet. Fuel is brought in and sprayed proportional to the amount of N20 being sprayed in. That eliminates or minimizes the need to retune A/F when you add or change N20.

I will give you a bit of advice though. N20 is typically pressured at about 1000psi. When you hit the button, the sudden need for fuel is increased and the stock fuel systems can't keep up well with the sudden change. I didn't know this until I did some data logging and saw a lean spike that went off the chart (>20:1) for about 1-2 secs. Nobody told me about this, no warnings or anything and I consulted with many experienced professionals. I found Nitrous Express has a fuel accumultor that helps minimize this effect. It is basically a storage tank that sits near the fuel rail that supplies the volume of fuel during that sudden void. Like I said, it minimizes it rather than gets rid of it. I still saw a 1.0:1 AFR increase at N20 arm for 1 second. That was MUCH more tollerable than what I was getting.

Sure you can do without it, most do. Hardly anyone I've talked to even knows about it or datalogs enough to know the problem exists. The only time you'll experience the problem is at initial arming and it is only for 1-2 secs. Just an FYI. -Joe
Old 04-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Fred,What nitrous system did you choose?
Old 04-07-2006, 12:32 PM
FredTT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang Skeleton

Hey thats a pretty good list. Since youve got the borla catbacks and an intake, go for the midpipe along with high flow cats and longtube headers. That way, you will have the entire exhaust system covered. After that, maybe suspension if you dont already have it. That will help alot on your launches. Also, if you still want more performance, a torque convertor will help as well. Tell us what you decide.
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably get the rest of the exaust system next. I heard about on-demand offroad xpipe. Push a button and it dumps exaust rather then going through everything (I guess like running open header). Is it worth it?

Can't do suspension. Don't want to lower the car. I have 20's on it and have little cleareance as it is. What does a torque convertor do exactly?

See, my new job makes about $100/night, so factor that in. :-P I got the job just to pay for car parts.

ORIGINAL: jbailer
When you hit the button, the sudden need for fuel is increased and the stock fuel systems can't keep up well with the sudden change. I didn't know this until I did some data logging and saw a lean spike that went off the chart (>20:1) for about 1-2 secs.
See, I was told that I needed a new fuel pump and new plugs if I wanted to jump from 100 to 125.

ORIGINAL: Mpaint99

Fred,What nitrous system did you choose?
I went with the Dynotune Nitrous system. I got a really great deal on it. Full kit + Dual Purge + Master Blaster purge solenoid shipped for under $500.

~Fred
Old 04-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

The stock fuel pump is non - reversing.Why Ford didnt put the right one in annoying.Yes you do get a slight hesitation when you hit the NOS.I have a wet system also.When I was running it dry with a 60 shot it never happened.Then I went to a 90 shot Nos and a 25 shot fuel and got the slight hesitation.Im tempted to run dry again and just run a 75 shot NOS.I did tune it on a dyno,but I dont have a chip.Definitley watch how lean your running.My buddy has a Neon srt turbo and put a 100 shot Zex wet system on it and on 5th day, it blew a piston right threw the block.It was wild,we were picking up pieces of piston,block,freeze plug,connecting rod.

Search this Thread