Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brokestang! *Cry*

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 05:33 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default Brokestang! *Cry*

So, I've had a CEL on for awhile. I detuned the car (clearing the light in the process) and waited for the CEL to reappear so I could get her serviced.

I was coming around a 90* corner in a neighborhood at about 15mph. I gave her appropriate throttle (so as not to wake the denizens) and returned to 25mph. At this point, I noticed that my steering column went stiff.

So I slowed her down, to find that she was completely shut off... Don't know what killed her.

I tried to restart. She turned over, like nothing was wrong, but immediately ran very rough and, within 1 or 2 seconds of turning the key, was off again.

I checked the MAF and such under the hood.... No issues, so I tried again to turn her on. Same problem... So I tried a third time, giving her rather generous throttle and bam! She started right up!

I drove the 40mins back home with no problems at idle, no problems cruising.

She sees my local dealer tomorrow morning at 8:30...

Any ideas on what is the problem? I'm thinking MAF is fouled or something? I need to know what to have them look at, as this is the same service team that took 2months to replace my Skipper with a new Skipper (that's a long story involving ordering wrong part numbers, etc...)

Poor, poor Mustang...
Old 04-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Brokestang! *Cry*

Hmm, hard to say! Could it possible be ****ty gas? lol. I know I had a little time starting up in the cold mornings around winter time...
Old 04-08-2006, 05:49 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

I doubt it... Never had trouble with gas before...
Old 04-08-2006, 06:12 PM
Phrosty
1st Gear Member

Strange...it could possibly be the gas...try using Chevron with Techron...I flew around a corner trying to turn my stang sideways a few months back and it whipped around so hard it shut off the fuel thinking I got into an accident...all of a sudden it said I had 6 miles until empty and started running funny. I found a little button under the driverside that fixed that problem...
Old 04-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Jpott

The nipple, towards the firewall, on the intake manifold cracked today, spraying coolant all over the engine...The crack is not actually near the cross-over...Does anyone know if the recall will cover this crack that is located towards the firewall, even if the cross over portion is not actually the problem?

O1 GT Vert
black/black/black
Old 04-09-2006, 06:09 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

GGIII wern't you having an issue with dying after a high speed run? Does this seem to be that issue compounded? I had an issue where mine would barely run. Turned out that the plugs were nearly completley fouled. Bad gas is what was suspected. But I had to reload the factory tune to get everything reset properly in order to get it to run even after the plug change. Re-installed the tune after and all is OK.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:23 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Ghost, sounds like my problems. I write now from my girls house and, after rounding the same 90* corner, she ran rough. Tach bounced everywhere untill I gave her some throttle. She eventually settled back down, but that makes twice she's tried to shut down on my today. Dealer gets her tomorrow morning.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:30 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

On a side note, I'm preparing a packet to hand to my service tech. Does anyone know an alternate site to get the actual TSB data from? BradBarnett is down.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:36 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Found a TSB site:

http://www.markwilson.com/mustang.html

Though it's not quite as complete as BB's, it's very nice to have. Figured I'd share it.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:50 AM
GtStangFGCU

I had a problem with my old focus on turns, could be a messed up fuel pump? u never know, my dad works for volvo and they had some really bad problems with gas and starting up during the winter time, as most people dont know gas does vary in ways im not exactly sure on(other than grade of course) but their problem was fixed by running a higher octane, i dont know if thats possible for u because u are already running on 93 av gas is fun though!...well thats my 2 abe lincolns