Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang GT Options

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:32 AM
2Hooah

Default Mustang GT Options

I recently was able to take a ride in a 2006 GT black on black vert, and I absolutely fell in love with the car!! It's time for myself to get a new car, and I've found my calling in the mustang. However, before I start trying to find/build my car I want to be certain about all the options I want. I'm in a dilemma on whether or not to get leather seats. I am going to be moving down south to Georgia here soon, and I'm afraid that the leather may become cracked and distressed from the heat. How do the new mustang leather seats hold up to the cold/heat? From what I have read it sounds like a lot of the forum members have leather seats, and I have not seen any complaints about them so far in my readings. My second question concerns the Shaker 500 system. I have heard that the system tends to skip more than the single CD player set up. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor? I would appreciate any feed back on either topic. Thanks.

-2hooah
Old 04-09-2006, 12:46 AM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT Options

I've heard the same about the Shaker 500, but I recently took a spin through 100 miles or so of Chicago Land (crappiest anywhere) expressways and not one skip the whole way. I think that the skipping has alot to do with how well your CD's are cared for. If you have scratches and smudges all over them, they are going to give you problems in the Shaker and on any CD player.

I've had leather in every car I've owned save my '88 5.0 and there are issues with it, but I'd take it over cloth any day. That cloth was so ruined from the previous owner, there was nothing I could do to save it. With any leather you are going to get cracking after some years of wear. Mainly on areas the get rubbed or smushed every time you get in and out of the vehicle. (Say, the edges of the seat or back). But any spills will just wipe off (as oppoped to soaking in and staining cloth seats). God forbid if you smoke in the new car, but if you do and happen to lose a cherry, the leather is going to hold up much better than cloth. Leather is easier to care for in that to try to prevent these cracks and peels, there are tons of different conditioners and other products to protect the leather. Just make sure it doesn't have silicon. Silicon can be detrimental to natural leather. Not to mention after a few coats, looks like crap and you'll be sliding around on every corner. It should be a deep penetrating conditioner.

Welcome to the forum and Good Luck on the purchase. You are gonna love it!
Old 04-09-2006, 01:06 AM
airbillster
1st Gear Member

The solution to the shaker 500 is the shaker 1000! I thought they did away wiyh the 500 because of its many problems they had in the 05's. My 06 came with the shaker 1000, and I LOVE it!!! A thousand watts of PURE POWER, just like my GT!
The last 3 cars I've had have had leather, just use a good conditioner/cleaner and it will outlast the car in any weather conditions. MUCH better than cloth!

[IMG]local://upfiles/25764/17B4E01498194AF29F48A029EED8E4F9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-09-2006, 01:09 AM
gregt909
2nd Gear Member

I have the Shaker 1000 and so far no skips, even over rough roads. As far as leather goes, I do have it. However, the Mustangs leather is not the best I've seen. It feels cheap to me over other leather seats I've had. But, I still like it better than cloth. I've never had problems with leather seats here in Houston.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

I have no problems with my shaker 500. It is plenty loud enough, too. I cant Justify $1200 more for additional wattage. Also, No problems withmy leather
Old 04-09-2006, 01:47 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2Hooah

I recently was able to take a ride in a 2006 GT black on black vert, and I absolutely fell in love with the car!! It's time for myself to get a new car, and I've found my calling in the mustang. However, before I start trying to find/build my car I want to be certain about all the options I want. I'm in a dilemma on whether or not to get leather seats. I am going to be moving down south to Georgia here soon, and I'm afraid that the leather may become cracked and distressed from the heat. How do the new mustang leather seats hold up to the cold/heat? From what I have read it sounds like a lot of the forum members have leather seats, and I have not seen any complaints about them so far in my readings. My second question concerns the Shaker 500 system. I have heard that the system tends to skip more than the single CD player set up. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor? I would appreciate any feed back on either topic. Thanks.

-2hooah
Although i cannot comment on the Shaker 500 I can say a little about the leather since it applies to all leather. The key to keeping leather looking new is cleaning and conditioning with the proper products. You cannot simply spray it with Armour all or some other interior dressing and expect that to do the job. I would suggest if you plane to get leather and want it to stay looking good to be prepared to spend a little bit of money on some good products and also be prepared to spend the time need to keep it that way. II would suggest a separate cleaner and conditioner not a combo product I have found they do one thing ok and the other not so good. I use Meguiars Aloe Cleaner and Adam's Leather Conditioner. I also use a Meg's brush to use when cleaning the leather. Here is a link to the brush and the cleaner. Any of the Leather Conditioners Autogeek sells should be ok. You must clean the leather at least every two weeks to get the dirt and sweat and other stuff off that comes off your clothes and onto the leather it's there even if you cannot see it trust me.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-aloe-cleaner.html

http://www.autogeek.net/x1000.html

Lucy2005
I have no problems with my shaker 500. It is plenty loud enough, too. I cant Justify $1200 more for additional wattage. Also, No problems withmy leather
I also agree with this.

Richard
Old 04-09-2006, 02:59 AM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

Yes the Skipper 500 is a problem...there is a TSB on it. I'd have had it fixed by now if the dealer could get out of its own way (I won't bore you with the saga).

On the leather, you will want to take good care of it. My seats are fine so far but I've pretty much babied them - car is a year old now and they look just fine.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:15 AM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

I have the Shaker 5oo and I believe the problem is fixed in the 06's. Only the 05's complaining..
Yes on leather and all interier upgrades..
Old 04-09-2006, 08:55 AM
BACK2STANG

I have an 06 with the 500. In 1000 miles of driving it has skipped a couple times, but my CD's have been played to death and I think it was them more than the player. I love the 500, but I admit to wondering what those sub woofers plus two extra speakers does for the sound.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:25 PM
Mpaint99
2nd Gear Member

Never had a problem w/ shaker 500.It's just very slow changing and loading CD's. My alpine in my work van is 10 X's quicker.Love the Leather interior.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Options