Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What causes gear noise, can it be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:01 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What causes gear noise, can it be fixed?

ORIGINAL: hawgman

I have heard several ( actually many ) different people complain about the noise from Motive gears. Which sucks because like you, I was more intereseted in 3.90s than 4.10s. You could possibly talk to JDM about having them coated. That is supposed to make them quieter. But you are going to spend more on the coating than you did on the gears. Could also consider gonig to a 9" rear end and using Ford 3.90s What the hey, it's only money. And I think all of us know by now that a crack habit would be cheaper than owning one of these cars!

Seriously though, you shouldn't be racing it until you get the gears broke in.

How long does it take to break them in? What I did yesterday was just bring the car home after the gears were installed, about a 20 mile drive, then went out three times and drove the car for about 30-40 miles, then came back. Waited about more than an hour between each run, the last one was at around 11:30PM!
Old 04-09-2006, 10:12 PM
1sicpony
1st Gear Member

i have motive 3.73 they made noise when cornering, have not had any noticable noise at hwy speeds however rag tops have considerable road noise top up or down i put in BG gear additive they have been quiet since . there is a process called micronite polish that is inexpensive and also strengthens the steel dramatically reduceing parisitic drag thus free HP rear gears, valve trains, push rods etc. can be done.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:43 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Ive never put in a ring/pinion, always worried about fitting up right...the whole thing of blueing up/setting side clearance/pinion depth just sounds like could be expensive...We had some big lathes at work with big hypoid gearsets(like $10k!), and Ive seen a couple sets ruined in short order by improper installations by guys that supposedly knew how...so I still would rather not mess with mine.
A buddy had a 84 camaro that needed gears at almost new, and the dealer ended up swapping 3 times before getting right...luckily it was all warranty, but sounds kinda touchy to me...are the new 8.8's easier to swap/fit than the older stuff?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:51 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford4v429

Ive never put in a ring/pinion, always worried about fitting up right...the whole thing of blueing up/setting side clearance/pinion depth just sounds like could be expensive...We had some big lathes at work with big hypoid gearsets(like $10k!), and Ive seen a couple sets ruined in short order by improper installations by guys that supposedly knew how...so I still would rather not mess with mine.
A buddy had a 84 camaro that needed gears at almost new, and the dealer ended up swapping 3 times before getting right...luckily it was all warranty, but sounds kinda touchy to me...are the new 8.8's easier to swap/fit than the older stuff?
Any GOOD performance shop can do them and get them right. It should run between $200 and $300 for labor only. That are not as hard as they use to be because of the closer tolerances in todays production methods. I have done several and years back they could be a real PITA!
Old 04-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

I was wondering about that. Ford doesnt break in the gears on a new car. Why do we need to break in the gears when we change them? Seems if they were done right, there shouldnt really need to be any breakin period