Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What causes gear noise, can it be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:30 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Default What causes gear noise, can it be fixed?

I had Motive 3.90 gears installed on my car yesterday, the car feels GREAT, but they do make some noise. Not at slow speeds, it's more when I'm on the parkway, going over 40MPH I think. It's like a grinding noise, as if they were hitting something or brushing against something. Should I expect this noise to quiet down over time or should I start planning on getting Ford's 4.10s?
Old 04-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What causes gear noise, can it be fixed?

Where did you purchase your gears from, Julio?
Old 04-09-2006, 12:43 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Brenspeed, they got here pretty quick. I already knew there was a chance they were going to make some noise. I took the car out a couple of times yesterday and last night, you know, for the "break-in" period, that was fun!!!
I just hope I don't spin the tires a lot more at the track now, 'cause it definitely pulls a lot harder!!!!
[sm=gears.gif]
Old 04-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

It could have been your installation. Brent was saying that many vendor's were selling Motive Gear's, but they weren't the "Performance" gears, and that's why people were getting the whine... but he said a lot has to do with the installation as well. You should call him up tomorrow and ask, might need to take her back to the shop and get the guys to fix it.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:48 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

I put in the Motive 4:10'S and even after checking and rechecking the pinion depth and backlash they were noisey. Yanked them a week later and installed FRPP 410's and they are nice and quiet. I know that FRPP had revised these gears by going to a single pass laser cut instead of a cnc 3 pass cut to make them quieter. They also added a bevel cut to the backside of the pinion gear.
Not flaming Motive's, but that was my experience.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

What's the difference in price between the Motive and FFRP?
Old 04-09-2006, 03:01 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

Menace, I just saw CJ Pony Parts listing the Ford Racing 4.10 gears on ebay for 189. so the difference is not that big. The only reason I went with the Motive gears is because I want to go with 3.90 gears, 'cause I have an automatic. I might switch to Ford Racing 4.10s down the road, but for now I'm going to enjoy these, I already paid for them, so might as well, right!
On a side note, I just came back from filing my taxes, had to pay back almost $2K, damn side jobs!! On my way back this guy in an Infiniti G35 sedan starts messing with me, we got stuck at a light. I really wasn't going to race the guy, didn't even look at him, but when the light turns green he floors it. I TRIED, believe me I did, but I just couldn't resist, by the time I floored it he was already 2-3 car lenghts in front. Lets just say I got the first real taste of how good these gears are (aside from the noise), the car shirped the tires taking off, and shifting into 2nd and 3rd!!! Passed him so fast that it was enough for him to calm down!!
Old 04-09-2006, 03:27 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

You could go with FRPP 3:73 which most auto owners do, but if you are not a heavy interstate driver, go with the 4:10's down the road.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

I put in Ford Racing 4.10's, behind a Roushcharger, and I just finished breaking them in. If I listen really closely, I "think" I hear a little whine every now and then, but the transmission makes more noise to be honest. I really like the setup. I wouldnt do it without doing rear suspension upgrades as well, though. Traction would be a problem. I really dont have much higher RPM's in 5th gear, at highway speeds.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:52 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I have heard several ( actually many ) different people complain about the noise from Motive gears. Which sucks because like you, I was more intereseted in 3.90s than 4.10s. You could possibly talk to JDM about having them coated. That is supposed to make them quieter. But you are going to spend more on the coating than you did on the gears. Could also consider gonig to a 9" rear end and using Ford 3.90s What the hey, it's only money. And I think all of us know by now that a crack habit would be cheaper than owning one of these cars!

Seriously though, you shouldn't be racing it until you get the gears broke in.

Quick Reply: What causes gear noise, can it be fixed?