Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Does a stock mustang chirp in 3rd ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:17 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Does a stock mustang chirp in 3rd ?

ORIGINAL: *bmxking*

i chirped third with traction control on so.... it is all how u drive

hmm....

ok bmxking... i have few questions ... when u shifted on what rpm were you ? and what tires and rim size do u have ? cuz when i shifted from 2~3 my RPM was on 6100 ....
Old 04-09-2006, 09:49 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

i live @ 5400 feet or so...and on cool days (cool roads) I can chirp 3rd fairly easy
...never burned 3rd though...more like a mouse-fart type chirp if you know what i mean.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:34 PM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Ive gotten a little bark in third a couple times- it was pretty cool outside though too, post above probably makes a good point about cold tires- hardest thing for me is hitting third quick enough- the gate to third on these cars is definitely not as distinct as other sticks Ive driven. I usually leave T/C on, but I think barking the tires is as much or more a result of dumping 'flywheel hp' as actual engine power...if the motors at 6k and you POP the clutch in third, inertia of motor/flywheel alone might get a brief chirp- if 'real' horsepower did it, you'd be able to smoke-em if you could chirp them at all...I'd bet on hot asphalt mine would NOT chirp third- as Ive been a bit hard on my clutch, havent really tried lately, still like hitting second hard- cant mis that shift, and it really stuffs ya in the seat

ps- how you likin that new stick so far??? will be very interesting to hear what you think of it after a while since you switched from an auto gt...myself, I love the extra 'fun' the stick can add if you really want to romp on it, and only once so far has it been a PITA due to stuck in traffic and a sore knee...you had any regrets yet?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:54 AM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ford4v429
ps- how you likin that new stick so far??? will be very interesting to hear what you think of it after a while since you switched from an auto gt...myself, I love the extra 'fun' the stick can add if you really want to romp on it, and only once so far has it been a PITA due to stuck in traffic and a sore knee...you had any regrets yet?

I love the new stick man .... on my first day of driving it I got stuck in this huge traffic jam like almost over 1km on this traffic jam... at first i foot hurt me because of stomping the clutch and this and that... but after few days I found the best seating position for me now when im stuck in traffic jams my legs dont hurt me anymore ..... but comparing power ... i love the 5-spd's power more cuz behind the wheels i can really feel like driving a powerfull car..(no offence to auto GT owners it's just that the 5-spd pulls you alot at the back)comparing both if it was from a sudden stop of course the 5-spd wins .. but from a 60 kph roll when i had my auto i raced my friends manual .... i jumped infront untill he reached 4th then he was near me ....

and man the 5-spd is really awesome the best thing is that i have total control of the braking im really happy with it... but im dissapointed on the throttle response ... thats why im thinking of getting a CAI and tunner.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

at the track, ive never NOT chirped 4th
on the street, i got third ~1/2 the time when i powershifted. my rear don like me for it though[:@]
Old 04-10-2006, 04:29 PM
viking396
5th Gear Member

I got a bark out of mine going into third when it was bone stock, it was funny the first time it happened now I expect it. The GTO I beat a few days back got to hear it too.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:54 PM
nbk13nw
2nd Gear Member

You may try shifting around 5700 to 5800 rpm. Up past 6000 or so you are most likely out of the power band. Most stock 05's will hit the power band in the 5700 to 5900 rpm range. Besides... no need to hit the limiter when you miss....

ORIGINAL: saud alzaabi

ORIGINAL: *bmxking*

i chirped third with traction control on so.... it is all how u drive

hmm....

ok bmxking... i have few questions ... when u shifted on what rpm were you ? and what tires and rim size do u have ? cuz when i shifted from 2~3 my RPM was on 6100 ....
Old 04-10-2006, 06:22 PM
*bmxking*
1st Gear Member

when i chirp mine i shift around 5500 rpms but if u dont think i cant chirp third it is no skin of my back.. i was just trying to help u out, plus i also live on the coast..
Old 04-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

ive always spun em more on shifts at 6200rpm or higher, but the tune probly has something to do with the extended power band. peak torque for me is at ~4700prm IIRC, which is the location in the powerband that results in the best chirps
Old 04-10-2006, 08:01 PM
saud alzaabi
3rd Gear Member

WAIT WAIT WAIT.... so you guys are saying all this time i was shifting at the wrong rpm ? when racing i always shift at 6000 or 6100 havent tried less rpms than that though ..... so exactly at what rpm should i shift when racing?

and nbk13nw by saying 5700 rpm .. do u mean to make it chirp or this is the correct rpm shifting limit for a stock GT ?

Quick Reply: Does a stock mustang chirp in 3rd ?