Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which muffler's to use

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 05:05 PM
ncspack
1st Gear Member

Default Which muffler's to use

I have a new 05 gt and want to bring out the rumble sound of the exhaust. I want it loud on the outside, but I don't want to go deaf on the inside. I've been told that if I put on the wrong system I could actually lose horsepower because my car wouldn't have enough back flow pressure. How can I make bring out the deep sound of that V8 without losing power?
Old 04-09-2006, 05:13 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Which muffler's to use

Well with any good muffler you are going to have more drone inside the car. It depends on how much you are willing to sacrifice.

Do you want:

1) Wake the neighbors up loud?
2)Really aggresive, but not really loud?
3) Or do you just want it a little more agressive?

If you want wake the neighbors up loud I would suggest SLP Loudmaouths or Magnaflow Magnapacks.

The Borla's are really agressive and they are almost in the category of really loud, but they sound awesome, without way too much drone inside the car.

My dad just bought Flowmaster's, and they sound more agressive than stock, and the drone inside the car isn't too bad, but they aren't that big an improvement from the stock mufflers.

*BTW none of these exhausts mentioned will result in any hp loss, they make make 1hp more at most. These are also the exhausts which I like most, an there are more out there.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:37 PM
ncspack
1st Gear Member

I don't want to wake up my neighbors, but I do want it to be very noticeable when I drop the hammer. I had flowmaster's on my 4X4, but it wasn't as loud as I wanted it to be. Don't know which set was on it becuase they were there when I bought it used. I still want to know if my horsepower will drop. I had a mechanic at the Ford dealership tell me I would lose about 15 HP if I put the exhaust system on it. Also don't know if this would void my warranty; hope not. By the way, nice car. I have a torch red gt with the old style painted aluminum rims.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:50 PM
mustangman2424
I ♥ Acer

No your horsepower will NOT drop. The guy at that Ford dealership is not right at all. If anything you will gain hp, not very much though.

I would suggest the borla's, they sound great and they aren't too loud, but they will definetly sound mean when you drop the hammer. I would also suggest you look around this forum and listen to various sound clips of different set-ups. Also look HERE, and listen to the different products.

Also not that sound clips will not do justice to the real sound of the car, so if possible try and find someone around you with a muffler you are interested in, and ask if you can listen to it.

BTW thanks for the compliment!
Old 04-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Phrosty
1st Gear Member

Take a look at this link:

Exhaust Soundfiles
Old 04-09-2006, 07:37 PM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

If you want #2 on the list then get the Corsa Exhaust. NO DRONE, all stainless, look great, probably the best made set up out there.

You will pay a little more but unless you like drone (and after a while you will hate it, especially if you drive on any long trip) then this is what you want.

How do I know? Experience with a LOT of cars! Spend those hard earned bucks once. Do it right or wait until you can afford the good stuff.