Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

AXLEBACK questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Default RE: AXLEBACK questions

I have a 6 and took the muffler off one night because I was taking it in to have duals put on the next day. On my drive home it sounded great but the vibration was horrible while driving. I currently have the saleen mufflers on my car and still want it to be even louder. I was thinking about having the local shop fab up a piece that I could clamp up or take off as I wanted that would make the exhaust turn down about mid way under the car so the pipes would be straight without a muffler. This way I could put it back to stock when I go to take emissions tests. The stock look would remain but the sound would be awesome. The only downside I can see is that no air would be pushing out of your exhaust tips but I wouldnt really care about that. Pic attached shows kinda what I'm talking about.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:07 PM
miketx
1st Gear Member

yeah its called a turndown
Old 04-10-2006, 03:11 PM
RemainVayne
1st Gear Member

Hey Menace --

I'm going to install the O/R h-pipe this weekend with my SLPs and I was just curious as to how loud it really is on startup? See, I live in an apartment for college, but I do go home sometimes to my home, which is in a neighborhood. And I know that my mom won't be happy if it is REALLY loud on startup, so what's your opinion?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:46 PM
chubrock

alright cool, thanks everyone for the input, and i'll post a video clip probably this weekend or maybe tomorow if i have time w/ my friends camera. And thanks for letting me save about $150
Old 04-10-2006, 10:08 PM
chubrock

also, my father and i share the car and he was, well, very pissed becasue he is afraid of the warranty and he doesnt want me "racing" on the streets and he feels that taking the mufflers off will promote problems or warranty failure. So i was just checking to see if anything bad is going to happen since i took the mufflers off
Old 04-11-2006, 01:40 AM
chubrock

up
Old 04-11-2006, 12:05 PM
chubrock

up
Old 04-11-2006, 01:14 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

No, taking the mufflers will have no adverse effect on the engine, except making you want to mash the gas more to hear the sound lol. When I was putting the borlas on my car I started it up after I had taken the stock ones off and it sounded awesome. I didn't have a chance to drive it without the mufflers, but it sounded great just revving it.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:00 PM
sdwndr
1st Gear Member

Has anyone here installed electronic cut outs?

I love the idea of being able to flick a switch and suddenly have a loud, open exhuast, but then I can drive around with a much more reserved (or maybe not so reserved exhaust) the rest of the time.

Any problems or drawbacks with them? I would think more people around here would have them.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:07 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Get the Borla Stinger Mufflers you will love them. I only wish i had gone with the Cat Back kit as opposed to just the mufflers. The stock mid pipes do have some funky bends and flat spots in them.

Richard

Quick Reply: AXLEBACK questions