Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:57 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Ford Denies warranty because of aftermarket parts

Old 04-13-2006, 04:48 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Ford Denies warranty because of aftermarket parts

they are addiment that these pulleys caused the alternator failure, although they can't prove it
This could be the key sentence. I thought they had to prove that is was the pulleys not to cover the warranty. Hee it shows that think, but they cannot prove it. So therefore they have to uphold the warranty.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

They're going to charge you $615.00 to install a new alternator? I though a new alternator was only a hundred dollars or so and not to difficult to change. I've never taken a car in to have it fixed, but that price seems really high to me. Unless you have the Shaker 1000, and had the air-conditioning and a lot of other stuff on for the majority of the time that you drove the car, then the alternator should not have quit. The pulleys just cause the alternator to spin at a slower rpm and produce less power. I would think that a dead battery could be a result of the pulleys, but not a bad alternator.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:52 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I just left the dealer ( oil change ) and asked the service manager about your situation. He said you were getting jerked around, period.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Lone_Star_Stang
1st Gear Member

I had a Ford dealer fight me on my parking brakek snapping.

They said my painted calipers did it... I yelled at them enough and got out the GM who looked at the service guy like an idiot for even suggesting that, or wasting his time and my potential future business.

Some Ford dealers are jerks and need to be dealt with accordingly -- ie, left. I won't return to that dealer for any service of any kind. I recently went in to another Ford dealer and told them I needed some weather stripping replaced since my tint shop accidently cut them while installing the tint ( yay ). I caught it too late, and was ready to foot the bill and said to my dealer "they did it, here ya go, let me know how much it is" and they covered it under warranty at no cost to me. That's service eh?

In essence, avoid that dealer like the plague.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

That is total Bull*hit go to another dealer. They have to prove that the pullys are doing that. They are so full of *HIT...............
Old 04-13-2006, 06:59 PM
CrimeScene
2nd Gear Member

Well despite all the post on warrentys some people seem to think they are Joe Law.

Lawyers will cost you more then the fix to your car.

You could try a diffrent dealer,won't hurt but that voided warrenty should be in there computer,but you never know and all it does it cost you some gas and you get a ride in you Stang.

The part that might save ya is when they said they cannot prove it,see thats the loop hole in the law,but they can turn around and say thats what did it and now you have to prove it not them,and prove is the word here,if you go into court about it who is the judge going to belive you or the service manager who for 20 years has been fixing Ford cars,you need proof.

If you do get a lawyer and go to court I would be most intested in what all that will cost ya,all for some pullys.

Well best of luck with it.

CrimeScene
Old 04-13-2006, 07:13 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Also, alternator's don't take a degree in engineering to fix. If it is indeed an alternator you need, and Ford won't honor your warranty... Then fix it yourself. It'll be cheaper.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:16 PM
F00Mustang
3rd Gear Member

if you go into court about it who is the judge going to belive you or the service manager who for 20 years has been fixing Ford cars,you need proof.
I think that the fact that these are option pulleys in certain Ford vehicles, ie the roush and steeda's now being sold at Ford dealership and w/ full factory warranty, should be proof enough. Especially considering that that dealer is a roush and steeda dealer.
Old 04-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Menace

Also, alternator's don't take a degree in engineering to fix. If it is indeed an alternator you need, and Ford won't honor your warranty... Then fix it yourself. It'll be cheaper.
+1 take the alternator off the car yourself and have it bench tested both with the stock pulley and the UDP. If the alternator is bad then you will have an uphill battle proving the UDP did NOT cause the failure since it IS attached to it.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:26 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Also, underdrive pulleys DO put a strain on your electrical system. As my old physics prof used to say, "there is no such thing as free lunch". The reason why underdrive pulleys give you HP is not magic. It is becasue they are diverting that power away from your engine accessories--including the alternator. When you use UDPs, you are not changing the electrical demands of the car. However, you are forcing the alternator to supply that same demand at a lower RPM. You are putting a higher load on the alternator. (This is why I, personally, won't run UDPs). Is is possible that your UDPs caused this problem? Maybe. I don't think it's very likely, but it is possible.
I agree with that 100% which is also why i will not run underdrive pulleys.

I would suggest you getting back on the phone with Steeda and see if they are willing to help you fight with Ford. Some companies will do this not sure if Steeda is one of them.

Richard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford Denies warranty because of aftermarket parts