Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

choices, choices - blower or bolt ons?

Old 04-13-2006, 04:32 PM
captincrunch42

Default choices, choices - blower or bolt ons?

I basically have two options for the standard GT vert I'll be purchasing in the next few weeks:

1) Buy all the bolt-ons and have the dealer install them for me - gears, full exhaust, CAI, tuner, UDP, etc

2) Buy a dealer-installed Saleen or Rousch supercharger

Obviously it's one or the other since this is my daily driver and I don't need to be pouring tons of money into mods (made that mistake already with my '01 vette)...What are the pros and cons of each setup? The dealer is involved because I want my warranty to stay intact...I mostly play around with it on the street, no actual drag strip time but a lot of aggressive driving and road course time...Appreciate any help!

Tommy
Old 04-13-2006, 05:01 PM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: choices, choices - blower or bolt ons?

I had dealer do all those but UDP. I would say that the best would be to get blown!
Old 04-13-2006, 05:12 PM
05HOTROD
2nd Gear Member

I was in your exact situation,,,,,I chose the saleen blower. perfectly streetable, smooth power, no problems whatsoever.
I have driven on many trips and no worries of any overheating, or any kind of problems.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:56 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hey 'crunch,

If you plan to drive the car at road racing venues during lapping sessions, track days, HPDE etc. events you will save more time by improving you suspension, wheels and tires. Are you SURE you want to buy a vert if you will be turning laps? The reason I ask is that by their nature verts are heavier (bad for accelleration and braking), have a softer chassis (worse for handling mods), weaker engines (this can be fixed), and poor aerodynamics making them pigs on top (really bad if you have a big track, it kills your lap times), compared to the coupe. Also the money you saved because you bought a coupe instead of a vert will pay for the core suspension parts, installation and alignment and you could STILL install a blower and be into the car for tha same amount! Of course if you feel you need it to pick up chicks... GEEZ you're pathetic! If you need a vert to pick up chicks letting them see you sooner in a vert is not going to help you with this problem!

OK, if for some insane reason (OK, so I like driving topless too), you do buy a vert and plan to drive it at HPDE or track days you should also plan to install at least a 4 or 6 point roll bar made by a certified builder depending on what is required by your favorite event organizers. Some tracks, sanctioning bodies and event organizers are requiring a certified roll bar for 2006 and later on track events. This is due to insurance rates, increased participation by vert owners and the lower costs involved to the organizers if they require a roll bar. Look into it!

Cheers

ORIGINAL: captincrunch42

I basically have two options for the standard GT vert I'll be purchasing in the next few weeks:

1) Buy all the bolt-ons and have the dealer install them for me - gears, full exhaust, CAI, tuner, UDP, etc

Obviously it's one or the other since this is my daily driver and I don't need to be pouring tons of money into mods (made that mistake already with my '01 vette)...What are the pros and cons of each setup? The dealer is involved because I want my warranty to stay intact...I mostly play around with it on the street, no actual drag strip time but a lot of aggressive driving and road course time...Appreciate any help!

Tommy
Old 04-13-2006, 11:10 PM
captincrunch42

hahahah points well taken, everything you said is correct...The car that I sold to buy my vette (a 1968 firebird 400) was a convertible, and I bought the vette with a removable top rather than a vert because of the performance advantages of a coupe - the primary reason I'm selling the vette is because it isn't a convertible, I miss the open air that much - so I'm willing to sacrifice some performance in exchange for the fun factor of a convertible

I'll mostly be road racing for fun, not to win any competitions - been there, done that with the vette and I'm planning on keeping this car as my nice streetable ride that I can toy with on the weekends
Old 04-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Blower undoubtably, you will feel the roushcharger on the street a lot more than all the bolt ons. Plus blowers sound awesome.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:38 PM
EJD05GT
2nd Gear Member

#2 if you have the cash.
-E

ORIGINAL: captincrunch42

Tommy

Old 04-14-2006, 06:39 PM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Buy a dealer-installed Saleen or Rousch supercharger
I just purchased a Saleen for my car. If you look up the poll I posted, Saleen won hands down.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Old 04-14-2006, 09:48 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

Hey Vista,

Just because Bush won the elecetion doesn't mean he was the right guy for the job. I'd go with a Saleen if I didn't care about who I got the power but a N/A car works better on a road course and N/A motors for some reason never throw belts.

Cheers

ORIGINAL: MikeVistaBlue06

Buy a dealer-installed Saleen or Rousch supercharger
I just purchased a Saleen for my car. If you look up the poll I posted, Saleen won hands down.

Hope this helps.

Mike